The dreaded other brand

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Bluntrauma

The dreaded other brand

Post by Bluntrauma »

Since I got into Spyderco I have been having a hard time pulling the trigger on other brands. Last year I grabbed a scallion (blue handle/black blade) at NG and I hate it. Really hate it. To all the Spyderco fans out there, are there any Kershaws that you like? Also, what other knife brands are in your collections?
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
ousanas

Post by ousanas »

scallion, chive, both ok..

leek great knife, I have the g10, s30v version (polished blade, not stonewashed)
blur (any variety) is a nice one too.

lately I've been looking at their damascus lineup drooling.

Kershaws are decent. I still love my spydies better, but they are nice, my leek makes my edc occasionally.
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

Maybe I'll look into the Leek. Does anyone know anything about the Cyclone? It looks like a pretty durable knife. Forgot to mention, I have picked up a couple of SAK's lately. A alox farmer and cadet. I am really impressed with their sharpness and quality.

I also was taking a look at the BM Pika. I think it's that Spydercolookalikeobsessionthing.
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
bh49

I bought few Kershaws for EDC and sold all of them

Post by bh49 »

Kershaw knives attracted my attention a while ago. It is good quality product, most of them are fairly affordable, a lot of innovation, especially within last couple years.
But I didn't have any luck with Kershaw so far. Couple years ago I bought Nukamura. Nice wood handle, beautiful bolsters, good steel. I do not have any good explanation. All pieces are beautiful, but whole thing just OK. Sold it.
Than I bought Ti/ZDP Mini-Cyclon, beautiful knife, but wasn't comfortable in my hand.
Than SG2 Blur, which was the best for me out of these three, but still didn't have a level of comfort of my R2 or Persian, which I carried at that time as my primary EDCs.
O well, at this point Spyderco makes more good knives than I can afford, so my addiction is satisfied. :)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Don't have anything by Kershaw, no real reason, just not much in their lineup that appeals to me. Have some Bokers, mostly CLB designs, since he's a good friend of mine. Have a few Berettas, mostly because of the name, but there is a damascus lockback I occasionally carry. Have a Columbia River Van Hoy Snap Lock, thought it was an interesting concept, carried it perhaps a half dozen times. Have a left handed Chris Reeve Mnandi, had to see what all the fuss was about. Very nicely made, but that's really to be expected for the price, since it's an extremely simple design. Still have the Buck Prince I carried before I got into Spydercos, and a couple of their fixed blades, one of which processed all but one of the deer I've ever shot and which I'd probably carry if I ever go out hunting again. Have one Randall, got it as part of a trade thirty odd years ago. Nice little knife, have never have been able to pin down the model. Also have a couple customs. One by Ed Schempp, a prototype for the small Persian, the other a left handed A.T. Barr One-Eyed-Jack which gets carried occasionally.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Shike

Post by Shike »

Kershaw makes a quality product but their designs just don't appeal to me. I have owned 2 different Benchmade knives and although they are very good I have sold both of them. The only one that really appeals to me is the Bali.
I have a Gerber Harsey that is pretty cool imo
http://www.gerber-tools.com/Gerber-Hars ... e-5861.htm
And I really like the Boker Trance. Other than that I am a :spyder: fan and of course the Sebenza.

Shike
gordonk

Post by gordonk »

I've got a few Kershaws. Most recent was a Leek/PE. I've always liked that design and finally broke down and got one. I'm a lefty w/knives, so I don't have all that many Kershaws, in the big picture. Clips aren't switchable :) The few that I do own, though, are all high quality :) I also "sneak" the odd other one in there every few :spyder: 's when they catch my eye. Splinter is a nice piece.

Other brands? Nothing too major this year. One I got a little while ago was the Ka-Bar/Dozier large folding hunter - kinda the big brother of the little ones. Really impressed with this one - just the like it's little brothers, it's excellent value for the money, every bit as well made. Still AUS8, but for the f$40 CDN, still a bargain :) I normally don't use larger folders that much aside from reno/yard stuff, but recently I got a few - Police 3/SE, Pacific Salt/SE, E4/SE and Ka-Bar - still trying to figure that one out :confused: I like BM's - last year, I bought a Vex, just to check it out - well made, but just haven't used it. I prefer my Presidio and Grips, actually :) My Presidio (small one/154CM) and BM710D2 are probably my favorites in this line, with the Mini-Grips a close second. I do prefer my Delica's, but there's nothing wrong with the Grips either :) Just not a lot has really caught my eye the last little while aside from :spyder: I finally got to touch/feel/fondle a Sebbie not too long ago at one of the shops here :p I'm still thinking.......
GoMeR

Post by GoMeR »

I have a few kershaws now and have sold several in the past and given away a few. They are decent knives for the price but they seem to wear out after a little while. A lot of the non-coated blades on mine developed rust spots after a short time. It is my experience that the assist springs fail and the belt clips come lose after several months of use. I do really like the leek, I have a couple and have given a few as gifts. Its a useful size and shape and its not to large, good for someone whos just starting to carry a folder. The blur is a decent knife but the texture on the handle of mine is just to rough. It honeslty feels like a knife thats wrapped in 60 grit sandpaper. Its hard on my jeans and hands and it stays home for the most part

I am a fan of a lot of Benchmade stuff but i don't own very many in comparison to Spyderco's. The AFCK is one of my all time favorite folders and i hope they are going to make it again at some point. I carry a 710 sometimes and am on the pre-order list for the m4 version with micarta handles. I have a couple fixed blades in m2 and i have been really impressed with them thus far.
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

I have a D2 leek which I like, but factory grind was obtuse as ****. To make it to be able to sharpen at 30° I would have to remove enough material so the secondary grind line is almost high as the D2/13c26 weld line. Gave up in the end and just sharpened it at 40° instead.

Also have a storm 2, pretty comfortable design although I don't like recurve anymore because I can't reprofile it. Also thumbstuds are way dinky for the blade size/weight.

Played with ET, very cool, but I told myself if I get it I'd cut myself in no time. Also played with junkyard dog, very good flipper that can launch the blade without any wrist flick.
GoMeR wrote:It is my experience that the assist springs fail and the belt clips come lose after several months of use. I do really like the leek, I have a couple and have given a few as gifts.
They will eventually but so far pretty durable for me. An email to kershaw and they'll send you a couple for free.
type00rev

Post by type00rev »

I have a Blur Tanto model 1670TBLKST that I like very much. It came wicked sharp from the factory, and the assisted opening action is strong and locks up great, and the grip from the inserts in the scales is phenominal. The Sandvic steel blade is very serviceable, and takes one **** of a convex edge. I almost gave the knife away because I chipped the blade not too long after buying it. I decided to take it to the Duckfoot to get the chip out, then 400/600/800 fine grit on a mousepad. The edge came out awesome, and it hasn't chipped since giving it a convex edge.

Overall, the blur is somewhat small in my hand, and the blade is smaller than I like on my tactical/self defense edc kives. I edc my blur as a back-up/utility knife. I would only use it in a last ditch emergency if my primary blade (Millie) has been compromised.

I'm planning on picking up another Blur in S30V, with a clip point. The S30V should be more durable and hold an edge longer.
:spyder:Harpy SS| :spyder:S90VCF Millie| :spyder:C36GPBK Millie| :spyder:C51GPFG Rookie| :spyder:C122GP Tenacious| :spyder:MT02 CPM-M4 x2| :spyder:MT03 CPM-S90V| :spyder:C81FG Para| :spyder:C81GSBK Para| :spyder:C95GPFG Manix #044V

Schoolboy Samurai||
GoMeR

Post by GoMeR »

I am the kind of guy that is not into fixing stuff that I know is going to fail again. I have had enough experience with the Kershaw assisted knives that I know at some point the spring is going to fail again. Rather then knowing this is gonna happen and waiting, I would just choose another knife. :D Its not as if the knife is worthless at that point because it is still fully functional minus the assist. I just prefer a quality knife that will remain as it was when I purchased it.

A couple of my benchmade autos have been used very heavily without problems at this point. When i choose a knife in the morning they win hands down over the assisted kershaws.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Kershaws are good knives. The cyclone is a good design. They are being discontinued, so get one while you can. A real prize was a ZDP mini cyclone with a Ti framelock. They are hard to find, but worth it.

They have many nice designs, and make some sprint runs for the steel junky just like Spyderco does.

The JYD2, Ti framelock with SG2 steel is particularly nice. They have quite a few enthusiast knives in fact, as well as their economy, base line which is a good, basic sandavik steel. Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
RazorSharp86

Post by RazorSharp86 »

I've had a S30V leek for a couple of years. The A/O spring broke a short while ago.
Overall, I like Kershaw's knives. Good quality, solid, and nice prices too. Though I'd really recommend not going for the A/Os.
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

For me, the main other brands that I delve into are Strider and Emerson.
Referee in the Bowels of ****
Email: ST8PEN01@aol.com
Artwork For Sale

"...We few, we happy few...we band of brothers...For whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare

If you are not willing to stand behind our troops, by all means, please stand in front of them!
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Kershaws I like:
Leek
Amphibian
Military Boot Knife
Ken Onion "Echo"
The Groove
Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

I really have no "dreaded other brand".

About 98% of folding knives I have in my collection are Spyderco. The other 2% are Boker or Victorinox. I however have no plans to buy any non Spyderco folder in the future.

The only NON Spydies I buy these days are fixed blades. I'm pretty much stuck on RAT Cutlery as far as fixed goes. :)
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Agent Starling

Post by Agent Starling »

I'm pretty much fixated on Spydercos. I have one Kershaw, and it's okay. I really like the several Boker CLB's that I have. Here and there I'll buy a knife that catches my fancy from another knife co. I have an Emerson karambit or two in my future as well.

Agent Starling
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I buy from everyone..not just spyderco....I don't believe in the one right perfect knife company to suit all my needs..I'm sure even if you ask Sal he will tell you that he owns other knives not made by Spyderco...to think that he doesn't would be foolish....I find merit in many different knives from all different companies...I like to think of myself as a Spyderco believer...That means Spyderco no longer has to prove to me that they make great knives and that I know I won't be disappointed by purchasing one or many for use, I'm a believer, I know Spyderco makes superior knives...I can't say the same for every other company out there. But that doesn't preclude me from buying knives from other makers or companies. Ya never know when somebody just might make something great or right. What Spyderco has going for themselves is the word consistency, cause 9 times out of 10 they make it great or right.....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
thread

Post by thread »

slippies:
I love the looks & feel of my Queen Cutlery canoe, but I can't convince the D2 to take an edge.
Case's CV line is quite nice - I've been using a medium stockman as a school edc lately and it raises no eyebrows. (the edge that steel takes is really lovely, too)

I can't see myself buying another company's high-tech folders, though. The care put into :spyder: s is apparent - from the feel to the workmanship to the price. Basically, Spyderco ruined me for any other company :) & that's fine.
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

I've got boker, kershaw, bradley, vnox, wenger, imperial, shefield, benchmade, leatherman, spyderco, and then we get to custom fixed blades... tichbourne, lhk, schiller, cke, levitt... and a few slipjoints that I'm not 100% sure who made em.

spydies probably make up just under 1/2 of my collection, and probably closer to 1/3 of the value.

I'd wager that my computer setup here is worth more than my spydies and customs (but we're not going to break down what I've spent there :eek: ) Lets just say that with 4 towers, 3 laptops, 3 NAS boxes, and a handful of external storage, and boxes of parts... well, I've got parts, cables and systems spread across the whole basement. :rolleyes:

My main laptop alone is just about a full paycheck :o

I don't have cash to spend on all my hobbies, I'm lucky to buy a knife every year.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.