Looking for a newDivers watch

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
flipe8

Looking for a newDivers watch

Post by flipe8 »

I've found that I've been think about a new watch for a little while now. This probably started when good bud and fellow forumite Squad314 showed me his new Omega :cool: :cool:. It blew me away. Thing is, I'm not absolutley convinced going that route is for me. I was thinking of a watch that would be a good EDC watch that is both heavy on function while being something that could potentially be passed down to my only son. The Marathon SAR is very high on my list, but I'm unsure of others at this time. Currently, I own an Orange Monster that is a good watch for the money, but it doesn't come across as a "timeless" design to hand down to my son.
See what I'm getting at? I'm willing to save up for a higher-end watch, but I just wondered if any might have any suggestions to look into.
Thanks very much.
Spyopera
SFKW sugilite Kiwi
CRK Small Sebenza 31
Far too many sold...:o

Trusting my own experience
Ted

Post by Ted »

I think an Omega would a better watch to pass on then a Marathon SAR

I carry a blue SMP ("bond") (2531.80). Great "tool" watch and looks fine with a suit as well. If you want black, there's a the more 'diver' oriented black SMP (2254.50) with bigger numbers on the bezel. The latter is considered the ultimated Omega tool watch EDC. Personally I think the numbers are too big on the bezel. It's now discontinued, but can easily be found for good prices. Both have a very reliable 1120 movement and will last several lifetimes (with regular service of course).

A bit fancier, but IMHO the ultimate mix between classic, tool, diver and dress is a Rolex Sea-Dweller (the old model, not the deep sea). But that's more $$$$
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

Thanks for the response and it's more or less what I was thinking. The Marathon doesn't have the timelss quality that either the Omega or Rolex possess. Like to see that the SMP is regarded as a tool watch.
Spyopera
SFKW sugilite Kiwi
CRK Small Sebenza 31
Far too many sold...:o

Trusting my own experience
cyberspyder

Post by cyberspyder »

Seiko. What's your budget? At around $200, I'd reommend the 007, Monster or the shgrouded Sawtooth. Above that, you have many, many choices. Some good ones are: MarineMaster, Landmaster, restored 6309, Tuna-can, Jawtooth, Sumo and various others. Here's a list of common divers (along with some pics): http://www.usualsuspect.net/forums/show ... p?t=356457

Brendan
I BLEED TOXIC GREEN
:spyder: SPYDIE NUT
:spyder:

:spyder: Spyderco OG Manix PE
:spyder: Spyderco Black Dodo SE *gone*
:spyder: Spyderco Black Paramilitary PE *gone*
:spyder: Spyderco SPOT PE *gone*
:spyder: Spyderco OG Blackhawk SE *gone*
:spyder: Spyderco Ladybug/Photon *gone*
Ted

Post by Ted »

flipe8 wrote:...Like to see that the SMP is regarded as a tool watch.
That is of course relative ... someone who has a Patek for dress might consider an Omega a tool watch. Someone who spend 10 years saving money to buy an Omega will probably consider a Seiko or Marathon a tool watch.

But, the mentioned watches do serve their purposes as tool watches. Robust case, crystal and movement, and highly water resistant.
spyderHS08

Luminox navy seals series

Post by spyderHS08 »

I love this watch. wear it all the time. cost is around 150+. 200 meters water resistant. its a luminox series 3000. sorry for the crappy pic..
comes in all sorts of colors, red, blue , yellow, black, green, tan, and white
Attachments
watch, knife.jpg
watch, knife.jpg (45.8 KiB) Viewed 3204 times
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
nathan310

Post by nathan310 »

Without a doubt Rolex Submariner!
Shike

Post by Shike »

nathan310 wrote:Without a doubt Rolex Submariner!
If $ is not an object, I 'll second that suggestion.
Shike

Post by Shike »

nathan310 wrote:Without a doubt Rolex Submariner!
If $ is not an object, I 'll second that suggestion.
Crowbar1

Watch

Post by Crowbar1 »

ROLEX Submariner great watch to pass down.
cyberspyder

Post by cyberspyder »

Since we're adding pics, here's one of the 007:

Brendan
I BLEED TOXIC GREEN

squad314

Post by squad314 »

Here's my Omega that I've been sporting....CoAxial movement,automatic Seamaster 300m.Like Pete,my wish for this watch is that my son will wear it long after I'm gone....There's something spiritual about the fact that his energy will power it as mine did.
Attachments
Seamaster.jpg
Seamaster.jpg (54.55 KiB) Viewed 3040 times
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear.
enyong112

Post by enyong112 »

flipe8... I would really go for the Marathon SAR automatic w/o the date cyclops... If I can afford that, it would be in my wrist right now...
My brother in law and I used to have the Luminox Colormark Navy Seal Watch, however we were really disappointed w/ the quality, I wore it during skimboarding, and the second hand fell off... How can a Navy Seal wear that type of watch and it can't even stand skimboarding, just my 2 cents... My brother in law's Luminox was the same, I forgot what he did, but the second hand of his also fell off, we both ended up selling the watches... Just our experience...
I recently bought a semi-Marathon SAR... A Praetorian Legionnaire, also bought an Orange Zulu Strap to go w/ it... It's all I can manage... but if you can afford the SAR go for it!!!
Picture is from the internet...
Attachments
434_0.jpg
434_0.jpg (35.38 KiB) Viewed 3023 times
Cool as Ice... Clear like Water...
Shike

Post by Shike »

cyberspyder wrote:Since we're adding pics, here's one of the 007:

Brendan
I had a Seiko very similar to that one. It was great. One of those watches that you own forever, get tired of and want to destroy, so you can buy a new one, but just can't. Very tough and very well made. I lost mine, somehow it developed legs and walked away :eek: :mad:
firestar

Post by firestar »

Hey guys, I've been reading your posts, and am looking to buy an Automatic Seiko diver. I'm a woman who likes big watches, but gigantic ones aren't my thing (I'm a lefty and they get a bit uncomfortale. My biggest watch is a G-shock G-7710).
I think I'm stuck between one of the 007s and a Monster, both of which you guys speak highly of (Not an SKX 173 cause they're Malaysian, as I understand it. I prefer Japanese).
Any advice? I'd really appreciate any guidance you can offer.
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

I have a Citizen "Eco-Zilla" that is my favorite. It runs from solar energy, and I like the fact that I never have to worry about a battery. And it's an extremely tough watch. Huge as a hockey puck, too.
Referee in the Bowels of ****
Email: ST8PEN01@aol.com
Artwork For Sale

"...We few, we happy few...we band of brothers...For whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare

If you are not willing to stand behind our troops, by all means, please stand in front of them!
2cha

Post by 2cha »

I jumped off a 16 ft. deck into a river this weekend and lost my most recent favorite,...

MK II Blackwater.

Bummer. :(
cyberspyder

Post by cyberspyder »

firestar wrote:Hey guys, I've been reading your posts, and am looking to buy an Automatic Seiko diver. I'm a woman who likes big watches, but gigantic ones aren't my thing (I'm a lefty and they get a bit uncomfortale. My biggest watch is a G-shock G-7710).
I think I'm stuck between one of the 007s and a Monster, both of which you guys speak highly of (Not an SKX 173 cause they're Malaysian, as I understand it. I prefer Japanese).
Any advice? I'd really appreciate any guidance you can offer.
Either is a good choice. The 007 is much less substantial and in your face than the Monster.
I BLEED TOXIC GREEN

merthyrmafia

Post by merthyrmafia »

flipe8 wrote:I've found that I've been think about a new watch for a little while now. This probably started when good bud and fellow forumite Squad314 showed me his new Omega :cool: :cool:. It blew me away. Thing is, I'm not absolutley convinced going that route is for me. I was thinking of a watch that would be a good EDC watch that is both heavy on function while being something that could potentially be passed down to my only son. The Marathon SAR is very high on my list, but I'm unsure of others at this time. Currently, I own an Orange Monster that is a good watch for the money, but it doesn't come across as a "timeless" design to hand down to my son.
See what I'm getting at? I'm willing to save up for a higher-end watch, but I just wondered if any might have any suggestions to look into.
Thanks very much.
Well you wont go wrong with a Traser H3, they do Divers and military watches, they are very robust and practical, extremely well made, I own one, and I can only compare the watch to my previously owned watches, which are seiko, and Citizen, and i'm sorry to say but they dont come anyware near my Traser H3, I will leave you a link, take a look for yourself.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0pE9HHOlMg
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Among other divers, I currently own a Traser, an Omega Bond and a vintage Rolex Sub. I also owned, and sold (and this tells you something) a Marathon SAR.

The Traser was purchased as a close-out and for the money it is a reliable beater, but it's not in the same class of quality or mechanical satisfaction as the others (duh :) ).

The Marathon was a disappointment. For the money, IMO, it should have been more accurate and better finished.

The Omega Bond (mine is a 2531.80) is a great watch. Omegas used to be underpriced for their quality, especially on the pre-owned market. I bought mine LNIB for a little over $1200 a couple of years ago.

The Rolex Sub is probably the epitome of the diver watch, at least in the general public's eye. It's a beautiful, functional tool that's a real pleasure to wear, but the cost is obviously a good deal higher.

A lot depends on your budget and needs... :)