Winnipeg, Manitoba Knife laws

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
LowSpeedHighDrag

Winnipeg, Manitoba Knife laws

Post by LowSpeedHighDrag »

Hey all,

going to be taking a vacation to Winnipeg, Manitoba next week and just wondered if anybody knew if my Para Military would be legal to carry? If not, the Lava may ride with me.
MOLON LABE
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

The beauty of the criminal code of canada, section 3... there is no mention of length :p Autos, pushdaggers and balisongs are illegal according to it... but that's all that's set in stone.

You can carry a 6" fixed blade in plain view and still be legal though it might draw attention.

There is nothing to worry about.

http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/showdoc/cs ... II-gb:s_84
PART III
FIREARMS AND OTHER WEAPONS
Interpretation

Definitions

84. (1) In this Part and subsections 491(1), 515(4.1) and (4.11) and 810(3.1) and (3.11),

"prohibited weapon" means

(a) a knife that has a blade that opens automatically by gravity or centrifugal force or by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device in or attached to the handle of the knife, or

(b) any weapon, other than a firearm, that is prescribed to be a prohibited weapon;
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
LowSpeedHighDrag

Thank you very much. I wish the US knife laws were that simple!
MOLON LABE
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

I used to carry printouts of c46 section 3 to hand out to folks who complained about what I was carrying trying to tell me it was illegal (size or number). That definition in para 84 is the only mention of knives.

now keep in mind that it's illegal to have a knife in the bar or gov't buildings, but like anything if you aren't causing a stir they're not going to look at your pockets. The bouncers at my usual bar have used my multitool a few times, but they know me and know that I'm not there to fight (I just sit and drink quietly, watching the game and chatting with the staff and other usuals)... and my stuff is all out of plain sight under a shirt.
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

It's illegal to have a knife in a bar? In Alberta I've been in many different bars with my knife clipped to my pocket, I've also seen a lot of folks in bars with knives clipped to their pockets.
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

yep, the police could easily walk in there on a random check and make one **** of a haul. I know that it's been a law since 911 stirred things up, not sure if it was in the books before that or not.

again though, if you aren't causing a stir there's usually no problem. There are a number of bars here with scanners at the door and a couple with handhelds. My usual couple of bars don't have anything, and the staff know me anyways. I even make the effort to talk to any new bouncers.

As with anywhere, appearance and behavior go a long way. If you walk in clean cut and don't cause a riot they've got no reason to pay attention to you and look you over. Walk in with a crew of 5-6 guys and order shots not even 30seconds in the door before you hit the floor, and you're going to have eyes on you scutinizing every move.

Remember... it only becomes a weapon when used in or in your possession during the commission of a crime. Turns a bar fight into assault and possession of a deadly weapon (though you don't want to get me started on that rant/debate).
LowSpeedHighDrag

Went and bought a Delica 3 today (since I like it more than the 4) as my Canada friendly EDC.
MOLON LABE
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

I carry a ss/pe police, a frn/se endura 3 (actually have 2 of em vg-10 and ats-55, if I carry twins the ats-55 one is in custom leather on my left hip), and a ce s30v millie... never mind that I've got a 5.5" custom fixed blade from CKE that gets carried (not exactly a day to day item).

anyone can make a ladybug look menacing :p
Doc Pyres

Post by Doc Pyres »

Any knife, even a disposable plastic spork, is illegal to carry in Canada, if the purpose for carry is self-defense. We law-abiding Canadians have to rely on our witty one-liners and the occasional bit of harsh sarcasm to protect ourselves from the bad guys. :rolleyes:

Meanwhile.... :(
LowSpeedHighDrag

Doc Pyres wrote:Any knife, even a disposable plastic spork, is illegal to carry in Canada, if the purpose for carry is self-defense. We law-abiding Canadians have to rely on our witty one-liners and the occasional bit of harsh sarcasm to protect ourselves from the bad guys. :rolleyes:

Meanwhile.... :(
So you guys have to have a valid reason for carrying one? Is saying its a tool a valid reason?
MOLON LABE
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

if the reason to carry is self defense, it's illegal. as soon as it's used in a fight, the crime being assault, it's a dangerous weapon... but then a phonebook or even a pen can be classed like that too.
aj1985

Post by aj1985 »

glockfire wrote:So you guys have to have a valid reason for carrying one? Is saying its a tool a valid reason?
Repeat after me one of the below

1) I brought cheese and bread for lunch officer I need a way to cut it into slices

2) My jaw hurts so I need to cut my fruit into smaller portions in order to eat it

It's a tool and I use it for this ____________________. Anything but SD

take care
aj
Live in every breath

INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
v8r

Post by v8r »

I DON'T GET IT, I GUESS BECAUSE I'M JUST A HICK THAT CARRIES A KNIFE EVERYWHERE I GO. i DON'T THINK I'M GOING TO NEED A KNIFE FOR SELF DEFENSE.THATS WHAT A .45 IS FOR,BUT YOU NEVER WOULD CATCH ME IN A BAR. ;)
RazorSharp86

Go Canada

Post by RazorSharp86 »

A good question i can definitelly answer..
Canada is heaven on earth for knife lovers :D
Once, me and my friends were testing a Cold Steel Magnum tanto knife, striking it vigorously against some wooden objects (i can't recall exactly which). A police officer from York regional police was creeping slowly from around the corner, observing the madness of wood flying around, giving in to the raw, sharp steel of the large fixed blade. He approached us and asked me to give him the knife and some ID. he took the knife, checked for criminal record/probation i may be on, and after seeing i was "clean" he returned me the knife, apologized and left.
so go nuts, carry the knife you want, since Canada prohibits only gravity, automatic and butterfly knives.
BTW, i'm from Toronto. :cool:
A.P.F.

Post by A.P.F. »

What Razor said.

Many is the time I have carried a Buck 110 on my belt, into a bar, without the slightest problem. Nobody thinks 'boo' about it here.
Regards, Al

The "soul" of hi-tech materials like G-10, H1, ZDP, Titanium, carbon fiber, etc is found in the performance. That appreciation of the "spirit" comes out in time, after use. It's saying, you can depend on me! I'm there for you no matter what! - Sal Glesser
Doc Pyres

Post by Doc Pyres »

I wonder if bringing a :spyder: into Canada could be a problem at the border if you're driving in. I know some Canadians who have mail-ordered knives have posted here and elsewhere that customs sometimes seizes the knife if the pivot isn't tight enough for 'em. Has anyone had that problem with an EDC?
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

went through customs a few months ago... 3 of us decided on a whim to drive from saskatoon to mt rushmore (1250km each way)... sunday morning till monday afternoon :p Got there for the 9pm show.

anyways... even though we spent a good 20min at customs filling out forms because they saw produce in the trunk, they never looked closely at anything on the way down...

on the way up we had a guy go through the car pretty well, found my buddy's manix in the console and my ss/se cricket in my pack, opened each with 2 hands and asked what we used them for (my buddy makes class A motorhomes and it's his work knife, and my cricket is my box knife at work). I had my lil temp and ss 'fly on me, as well as my usual belt load, and it never came up.

Got more curiousity out him with my laptop and collection of USB sticks and sdhc cards (but the answer that I'm an IT guy for a courier company for my 2nd job was enough for him). The answer for what was on it was "customer records, software, pics off my camera, ebooks, and hard drive images", which is exactly what they'd have found anyways. I keep my movies and music on a network shared computer. Never took the laptop out of my bag.

If they ask at customs, honesty goes a long way. They're used to folks trying to bullshit their way through and it's not going to fly far.
Muxx

Post by Muxx »

While it is true that carrying anything as a weapon in Canada is illegal, self defense (athough you better be sure you can prove it) is not. A year or two ago here in Calgary a guy was attacked while waiting at a bus stop. The 'bad guy' attempted to strangle the 'good guy' with a set of booster cables. 'Good guy' pulls a knife and kills 'bad guy'. When I first read about this incident in the local paper my first thought was 'good guy' is going to jail and there will be calls to ban the carrying of knives in the city. As it turned out the police investigation ruled that 'good guy' had been the victim of an unprovoked attack in which his life was in danger and therefore the use of deadly force was justified. I have carried all types on knives in different parts of Canada with no problems. If I am ever asked what they are for I would never say for self defense.
[CENTER][/CENTER]"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!"
cdf

Post by cdf »

Bout the only trouble ya can get into other than saying SD , is if the blade can be readily flicked open . Anything that can be opened by centrifugal force (moreproperly inertia ) is a prohibited weapon. I keep my pivots tight , an make a point of not doing public Spyder drop demos.

Chris
LowSpeedHighDrag

cdf wrote:Bout the only trouble ya can get into other than saying SD , is if the blade can be readily flicked open . Anything that can be opened by centrifugal force (moreproperly inertia ) is a prohibited weapon. I keep my pivots tight , an make a point of not doing public Spyder drop demos.

Chris
My millie can be flicked open, but not inertia opened? Problem?
MOLON LABE