Remington 700 Range Report

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Jimd

Remington 700 Range Report

Post by Jimd »

Got to the range yesterday with the Remington 700 SPS. Long story short - these rifles shoot **** nicely!!

I did a home boresight job, in which you take out the bolt, fix a target in your view down the barrel, and then, with the rifle supported, you crank the crosshairs onto the viewed object (in this case, a target at 25 yards).

Fired the first two rounds and they were perfectly centered, and went almost through the same hole.

Extended the range to 50 and then 75 yards, dialing it in as I went. Finally got to 100 yards with the results pictured below.

Shooting impressions: This rifle is light! Not a heavy rig at all, so there was a bit of recoil. My shoulder's sore today, as it's been a while since I've shot anything larger than my AR-15.

The lightness will contribute to portability, though, which will be an asset when I take it hunting. The Leupold Mark 2 scope is also extremely light (feels like a feather!).

The cheekpiece on the rifle needs to be higher. I'm going to have to dig up something to attach to the stock to raise it. Speaking of the stock, it's pretty decent and fairly comfortable.

Best group of the day, fired with Federal 168 gr. BTHP Match was around .65 inches. Not the most surgical I've ever fired, but **** good nonetheless. And, that was fired around the 20th round, when the barrel was fouled and fairly hot, so the rifle was doing pretty **** well.

I'm extremey happy with this rifle.

The bad guy photo target was engaged and terminated. I know the group is a bit large, but I'm afraid it's been a while since I've had a human in the crosshairs. Gotta get back into the swing of that.

The grouping in this photo is around .65 inches. Not the most surgical I've ever fired, but pretty acceptable, considering it was about the 20 round fired through a very warm barrel.
Attachments
Grouping #1 - Reduced.JPG
Grouping #1 - Reduced.JPG (46.36 KiB) Viewed 844 times
Bad Guy Target - Reduced.JPG
Bad Guy Target - Reduced.JPG (48.75 KiB) Viewed 851 times
Referee in the Bowels of ****
Email: ST8PEN01@aol.com
Artwork For Sale

"...We few, we happy few...we band of brothers...For whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare

If you are not willing to stand behind our troops, by all means, please stand in front of them!
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

A few more shots....
A group next to a quarter.
And the rifle itself - Remington 700 SPS w/Leupold Mark 2 scope, LaRue SPR mount, and Badger Ordinance base.
Attachments
Remington 700 #1 - Reduced.JPG
Remington 700 #1 - Reduced.JPG (60.79 KiB) Viewed 829 times
Grouping #2 - Quarter - Reduced.JPG
Grouping #2 - Quarter - Reduced.JPG (56.3 KiB) Viewed 809 times
Artwork For Sale

"...We few, we happy few...we band of brothers...For whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare

If you are not willing to stand behind our troops, by all means, please stand in front of them!
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

Two final shots of the rifle.
It needs a coat of paint, as Target Indicator Black is not my favorite color.
Attachments
Remington 700 #3 - Reduced.JPG
Remington 700 #3 - Reduced.JPG (95.72 KiB) Viewed 991 times
Artwork For Sale

DFD04

Post by DFD04 »

Good shooting bro, the SPS is a great value. Do you plan on shooting any further then 100?

I am going to pick up a couple of custom builds from GA Precision on Friday. I'll have to post those for you to see.
:spyder: The peace of heaven is theirs that lift their swords, in such a just and charitable war.
-William Shakespeare :spyder:
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

DFD04 wrote:Good shooting bro, the SPS is a great value. Do you plan on shooting any further then 100?

I am going to pick up a couple of custom builds from GA Precision on Friday. I'll have to post those for you to see.
My range goes out to 200 yards, and I definitely plan on shooting at least that far. If possible, I'm going to find somewhere where I can really stretch this rifle out to see what it's max range is. I'm figuring 600 yards easily, if not 800. The trouble is finding somewhere to shoot that far without neighbors going bananas.

For the money, the SPS is a stellar deal. Even something costing a lot more isn't going to be able to shoot groups that are much smaller in field conditions.

I'd love to see your custom builds.
Artwork For Sale

DFD04

Post by DFD04 »

You are correct! I had a M700 VLS in 308. I wanted a new stock and barrel, so I figure why not get what I want and go custom. **** near every M700that I have owned/shot is good to go. Nice Pics too BTW.
:spyder: The peace of heaven is theirs that lift their swords, in such a just and charitable war.
-William Shakespeare :spyder:
motorep

Post by motorep »

Federal Match 168s and Black Hills 168s are as good as it gets from mine, a 700 LTR.
LouDog5446

Nice rifle.

Post by LouDog5446 »

Btw who is the bad guy?
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

LouDog5446 wrote:Btw who is the bad guy?
All I can say is that if I told you what he'd done, you'd agree that he'd need killing. He's just a "Bad Guy, Generic-Type, 1 ea.". :D Never seen the dude before in my life.
Artwork For Sale