Stickers on your car - good or bad?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
motorep

Post by motorep »

I have stickers on my windows. I've alway had stickers on my windows. On the rear side window of my Grand Cherokee I have Trout Unlimited, NRA Life Member, DAV Life Member. On the rear window is a Triumph motorcycles sticker. My trailer hitch insert is an IPSC target. No, I'm not concerned about the issues discussed here so far. :D
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:Good thread topic David...Stickers IMHO are a big no no...I'll even go so far as to suggest when renting a car in another city or local you bring a razor blade with you so that after you pull off the lot you can scrap the rental agency sticker off the car, I know the car rental industry is going to dislike my suggestion....but being in a rental car makes you a big target for the criminal element.....Doc :D
I know Enterprise used to have those square, green, "e" stickers on all of their rental cars. They stopped doing that. (At least here in NYC). Our work-vehicle is a lemon. Everytime it breaks down, Supervisor goes to Enterprise. This year, I've gone to a different Enterprise location; twice.... No stickers.

Not sure why. Being a bit of a pessimist, I doubt it was because the President of the company realized that their stickers were blatant "Easy Victim" signs. Mug a tourist, what's he going to do? Come back a few months later when the trial starts, and his vacation is over??

Sure, you might get the guy who's car broke down and he's renting a ride. But it's usually a tourist. Especially if you follow one and see where he goes.
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder:
EarthDog

Post by EarthDog »

No stickers; no "vanity" plates, either. If I need a parking pass, I insist on one that hangs from the rear view mirror, and I only display it when I'm parked.
EarthDog
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

I can tell you this: Since I placed a bumper sticker that reads, "God bless our troops - Especially our snipers" on my bumper, I rarely get tailgaters any more.
Referee in the Bowels of ****
Email: ST8PEN01@aol.com
Artwork For Sale

"...We few, we happy few...we band of brothers...For whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare

If you are not willing to stand behind our troops, by all means, please stand in front of them!
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

Jimd wrote:I can tell you this: Since I placed a bumper sticker that reads, "God bless our troops - Especially our snipers" on my bumper, I rarely get tailgaters any more.
Say now, where can I get one of those? :D
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

TheKnifeCollector

Post by TheKnifeCollector »

I do not like stickers any where on my vehicle.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Shike

Post by Shike »

The Deacon wrote:I avoid them, for just the reasons you mentioned David. There are some areas where a bit of paranoia is a life skill :D and I think this is one of them.
Yeah Paul! But you know what happens to paranoid people???????

Nothing! :D
motorep

Post by motorep »

Monocrom wrote:Say now, where can I get one of those? :D
Try LaRue Tactical or Barrett Firearms. They both have the shirts, maybe the stickers.
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

Monocrom wrote:Say now, where can I get one of those? :D
I got mine from LaRue Tactical last week when I bought a set of scope rings for my new scope & rifle. In fact, LaRue sent me so many extra freebies that, when I added them all up, the freebies were actually worth as much as the rings I'd ordered! Great folks, they'll definitely get my business in the future!
Referee in the Bowels of ****
Email: ST8PEN01@aol.com
Artwork For Sale

"...We few, we happy few...we band of brothers...For whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare

If you are not willing to stand behind our troops, by all means, please stand in front of them!
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

Thanks for the responses, guys. :)

rlw1979777

Post by rlw1979777 »

Uhm. No stickers. It just draws attention, never let anyone see you coming.
I have a small collection.. At least in my mind its small. All respect to Sal and this great company! Collector Club Member #120
deeker

Post by deeker »

I drive a big orange Land Rover, with a big roof rack and 4 big lights on the front of it. If that's not a bit conspicuous, I'm not sure what is. It's easy to spot on the road, in the woods, and in a parking lot. A couple of little off-road club stickers on the rear side windows aren't going to matter much for me.

I can see stereo stickers and such possibly leading to more attention from the criminally inclined.
jasonp1

usually no..

Post by jasonp1 »

As far as product descriptions, no. No H&K, SPyderco, et. al. That's just a sign saying, "I have something you want to steal, follow me." This is the only sticker I have on my entire truck. Most folks don't even know what it is..
J
cwt

Post by cwt »

The Mastiff wrote:It's not just the criminal element that reads stickers. A friend of mine heading back up to michigan from NC was stopped in Ohio for no apparent reason. The trooper noted the NRA sticker on the vehicle and asked if my friend minded him searching the vehicle for guns. My friend is in his 70's BTW. The sticker read "NRA Life Member"

No warnings for moving or equipment violations, just the "contact" looking for something that caught his eye.

If I'm not mistaken he would have been ok if he had a weapon in his trunk, unloaded. He didn't, but still refused permission. The trooper kept him there for awhile after the refusal to search, then allowed him to leave.

Probable cause sometimes varies from magistrate to magistrate IME. Is a NRA sticker probable cause in Ohio? Joe
Well I sure hope not... my Dad's vehicles have sported a NRA life member sticker on them as long as I can remember (40+ years) and they don't seem to bug him at all. Out-of-state plates and holiday weekends (when they tend to go 'enforcement crazy') might have had something to do with it.

In fact I'd say this tends to be a sticker-neutral kind of state... unless you're driving through the shiftier parts of Dayton or Cleveland (and why would you be), probably wouldn't have to worry about it. My vehicle is sticker-free, but that's because I don't like clutter.
wescobts

Post by wescobts »

I was in the military for a while, and when we went into a foreign area ; I.E off shore, we would take off our rank, and as some of the elite forces shed there uniform so as not to stand out, a tad longer hair ( to look like students ) I find the sticker issue to be of the same thought process, blend in, don't cause attention. I don't want to sound like one of the paranoid, ex-military nut jobs, but think about the environment in which you reside.
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

No stickers for me...although when I was young I had a bumper sticker that said, "Feed Jane Fonda to the Whales"...it made sense back then.

As an aside, and I would never do this, but it is always good for a laugh to a put a bumper sticker of the opposing party on the bumper of someone who is politically active. That happened to a good friend of mine in college, he drove around for about three days before he noticed...
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
jag-engr

Post by jag-engr »

GlenD65 wrote:I like to keep as low a profile as possible so stickers are out. If I want people to know my thoughts, I'll tell them what I'm thinking...and I do.
wescobts wrote:I was in the military for a while, and when we went into a foreign area ; I.E off shore, we would take off our rank, and as some of the elite forces shed there uniform so as not to stand out, a tad longer hair ( to look like students ) I find the sticker issue to be of the same thought process, blend in, don't cause attention.
As I've gotten older, I've learned to keep my opinions, hobbies, and interests to myself. After I get to know someone, then I may let them know more about me, as I feel it's appropriate for that relationship. For example, I don't tell clients that I am a knife collector and own guns when they walk into my office. If they bring up the issue, then I may be willing to discuss it.

If people learn too much about you too quickly, they decide that they know you, and this may lead to their being overly casual or comfortable with you or making false assumptions about you — this applies to everyone from your coworkers to a panhandler looking for an easy mark at the gas station.

wrdwrght

Re: Stickers on your car - good or bad?

Post by wrdwrght »

Oh, look. A troll.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

wrdwrght wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:50 am
Oh, look. A troll.
A thread 11 plus years old :rolleyes: Yeah I sort of agree. And his first post too on a knife forum of all things :rolleyes: Yeah this has got a foul odor to it :(
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I have them, but on the rear window
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032