What kind of Ford is this?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
KSDbass

What kind of Ford is this?

Post by KSDbass »

I'm working on my next project, which is going to be a an SBC 350 stroked to 383 and put in a 50's era Ford with all of the necessary accoutrements, like disc brakes, power steering and brakes, and so on. To me, the 50's era bathtub body fords are some of the best looking cars I've seen. I found the car I want to put it in, but I can't figure out what model it is.
http://www.fabulous50sford.com/members/ ... _evans.jpg
And
http://www.texasbobsworld.com/49Ford.jpg
I'm not sure if they're different models, but those are both exactly how I envision this project ending up. Just with a little more OOMPH under the hood than the originals had.
Custom avatar courtesy of Dialex!

Bill Brasky could destroy Chuck Norris.

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

Well, up until the mid 50s, there was only one model of Ford (as there was with many other companies). I'm sure there were different styles of that model (two door, four door, wagon, delivery sedan, etc), as well as different trim levels, but there was only one model.

I know the second one is a 1949 or a 1950, the earliest of this look, and I believe the second one is a 1952.

There is one other option if you want that look with all the amenities, http://www.easyrods.com

I don't have any personal experience with them, but they can be made to look good.
MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
KSDbass

Post by KSDbass »

This is going to be more of a racecar that happens to be street legal. Stiff suspension, no interior, racing seats with a roll cage, that stuff. I'm not too worried about amenities :D

Does it have a model name, or was it just a 1950 Ford?

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

KSDbass wrote:This is going to be more of a racecar that happens to be street legal. Stiff suspension, no interior, racing seats with a roll cage, that stuff. I'm not too worried about amenities :D

Does it have a model name, or was it just a 1950 Ford?
Sweet :D

Let's see, Wikipedia is helping me out with this...

Country Squire is the wagon, but otherwise the names were the trim levels: Standard, Custom, Deluxe, Custom Deluxe, Victoria, and I guess there was also a "Crestliner"-- a two door two tone "Sports Sedan".

Best of luck to ya, it sounds like a great project :D
ken

Post by ken »

KSDbass wrote:I'm working on my next project, which is going to be a an SBC 350 stroked to 383 and put in a 50's era Ford with all of the necessary accoutrements, like disc brakes, power steering and brakes, and so on. To me, the 50's era bathtub body fords are some of the best looking cars I've seen. I found the car I want to put it in, but I can't figure out what model it is.
http://www.fabulous50sford.com/members/ ... _evans.jpg
And
http://www.texasbobsworld.com/49Ford.jpg
I'm not sure if they're different models, but those are both exactly how I envision this project ending up. Just with a little more OOMPH under the hood than the originals had.

Not sure about the first picture because of the grille.

The second picture is simply a '49 ford coupe also a '50 era sedan looks the same....no fancy names just coupe or sedan. But there is a 55' english ford called the zephyr that looks like the 49/50's.

Now there is just something not right about puttin' a chevy engine in a ford.
You wouldn't put a ford in a chevy would you?
Now a hemi in either one would be great. I say this becase I'm picky about it. I love old cars..classic and muscle. I think the reason people use chevy's is because there are more preformance parts avaliable and the crate engines are not as expensive. Anyway it looks to be a great project for you.

ken
ken
Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

Nah, just pure envy, everybody knows Chevys are just better. :D

Looks like a fun project, KSD. Do you have a build-up thread/blog anywhere?
Romans 8:31 ....If God is for us, who can be against us? - <><

The Spyderco hole is a rotating mechanical assembly of one part.

".....tractors don't have to look like Ferraris" -Sal
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

Simple Man wrote:Nah, just pure envy, everybody knows Chevys are just better. :D
Looks like a fun project, KSD. Do you have a build-up thread/blog anywhere?
Nope. No. Nah. No way. Nope. Nah. No. Nope.

Not everybody knows it, I'm pretty stubborn :p

Besides, I'm collecting parts to install my newly acquired DOHC 32 valve 4.6L engine from a Lincoln Mark VIII into my 95 Thunderbird :D
KSDbass

Post by KSDbass »

:D

This plan is still in it's infant stages, but I'll probably start a blog or something once it actually gets rolling. I'm still scouting for potential cars, and hopefully a good deal on a 350. I'm going to try and keep this car low budget until I get it running. Good deal on a car, good deal on the engine, then once it's driving I'll start playing with cams, forced induction, and so on.

I'm leaning towards an SBC because it seems like I can buy aftermarket parts for them at the grocery store, and I can ask **** near anyone about them and they'll know, which is always handy. I've never had much of a Ford Vs. Chevy loyalty, I just like going fast. :cool:

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket
Orlando De Free

Post by Orlando De Free »

That model Ford was the first post-ww2 new model. I believe the model designation was Ford Tudor(as in two door).
Orlando

If you didn't get my dirty joke it's because you have no sense of humus - Mom De Free
:spyder: Currently own
Ladybug 3 se, Assist, Ladybug se w/photon, Techno, Rubicon, Manbug ZDP, Dice
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

The first pic looks like a 1951 Ford with a custom grill.

When this is all done, you better bring it to Blade so I can see! Or at least pictures, but the car itself would be better. :D

Taz
There is nothing more important than this one day.
KSDbass

Post by KSDbass »

Done? Project cars are never "done..." When it runs I will most assuredly bring it to BLADE though. and there will be pictures a plenty throughout this build, don't worry. The mods will probably have to delete some of my threads I'll be so excited. Finding the cars isn't the problem, it's convincing my parents to let their 16 yr old son take the Chevy 3500 with a flatbed out to PA or TX that's the main problem... :D

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket
corvidae

Post by corvidae »

I'm curious. How are you going to use a 350 in a Ford? Will you use a complete GM drivetrain and just the Ford body & suspension?
"Nothing in his pockets but knives and lint."

:spyder:Para Military FG D2
:spyder:Centofante 3
:spyder:C-16 Wayne Goddard
:spyder:Byrd Raven G-10
:spyder:White Endura 4 PE
ken

Post by ken »

corvidae wrote:I'm curious. How are you going to use a 350 in a Ford? Will you use a complete GM drivetrain and just the Ford body & suspension?
I doubt if he will use the stock suspension..there are a bunch of way's he can do this. Mustang II front suspension and a ford 9" rear would work the best. It will be a big dollar job.

ken
ken
KSDbass

Post by KSDbass »

Yep, Chevy drivetrain in a Ford body... Blasphemy :D

i haven't decided on a transmission yet, I can't decide on a good manual. As far as I know, the Turbo 350 never really had a manual counterpart. I did have a good one written down but I can't find it right now.

For the rear, I'm either going to go 8.8 or 9", depends on what I can find. I don't plan on this project making enough power to require uncommon axles, and I'm still working on the front end.

My goal for this project is to be a high budget project with a low budget. Rusty car, preferably with no interior, engine and axle-less would be even better. I'm probably going to grab a junkyard 8.8/9", they're everywhere. Same deal with the 350, and no comment on the trans. The most expensive, mostly necessary part of this project is going to be stroking the 350, assuming everything goes as planned, which i'm sure you guys know how that will probably end up. Once it's driveable, I'm going to start doing highdollar stuff like playing with cams, and so on.

I'm almost tempted to give it a low compression ratio when I stroke it so that I can supercharge it down the road, but that's not even close to a real idea yet.

Edit: If anyone has good suggestions for a front suspension or a good manual trans, put 'em up! this project is still in the planning stages, and I'm open to any and all ideas.

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket
ken

Post by ken »

KSDbass wrote:Done? Project cars are never "done..." :D
Now this quote was the best part.....I know the feeling as I have a '53 MG TD MKII sitting on blocks in the garage. There just big boy's tinker toy's.

Safety/Fast (it's an mg thing)
ken
ken
corvidae

Post by corvidae »

I devoutly believe that the 350 is the greatest smallblock V8 ever built, & I'm really not a Chevy guy. I remember when you could get 350 heads for $10 each at wrecking yards all over south Arkansas. Ah, youth....

Why so set on a manual tranny? If you're gonna drag race, & IMO you'd be foolish not too, auto tear up a whole lot less stuff when they fly apart.

Man, I am so envious of you with this project. Back in the day, before kids, credit cards, divorces, and a lot of money spent on knives, I was the proud owner of a 72 Montego GT w/351 Cleveland CJ, and briefly a 71 GTX 440. The GTX caught fire in my parents yard cause I was too drunk to remember to turn the electric fuel pump in the trunk off, which was because when I put headers on I had to take the stock pump off. Raced it twice. Won both times.

Sure hope to see some pictures of your project as you progress. :)
"Nothing in his pockets but knives and lint."

:spyder:Para Military FG D2
:spyder:Centofante 3
:spyder:C-16 Wayne Goddard
:spyder:Byrd Raven G-10
:spyder:White Endura 4 PE
KSDbass

Post by KSDbass »

No worries, there will be pictures aplenty from this project. It may be a little bit until I get everything sorted out and actually start, but it's definitely going down.

I'm mainly set on a manual trans because for some reason, I can't stand automagic transmissions. I'll definitely drag race this, but I'm going to drive it more than I'm going to drag it, so I want to stick with a manual.

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket
ken

Post by ken »

KSDbass-

Here are some sites that might be of interest to you:

http://www.shoeboxford.com/ (join this site's forum. plus resto. parts)

http://www.customrodder.com/features/04 ... storation/ (another cool ford)

http://www.cartorque.co.za/0094.htm (if you want chevy engine and running gear check out this car.)

increase or budget and drop in a Ford 427 SOHC or a Ford 427 Wedge.....
ken
ken
KSDbass

Post by KSDbass »

I just woke up from a 3 hour nap, so I'm a little fuzzyheaded. if this doesn't make sense, disregard it haha.

The main "theme" of this project is a very lightweight car with a fair number of horsepower, rather than a super heavy car that has enough horses to make it go fast in a straight line. Aren't 427s big blocks? If not, ignore all of that. The other reason is that 350s are everywhere. it's like a wonderful infestation. Because of that, not only can I easily find parts, but I can ask **** near anyone about a problem I'm having and get some feedback. Another goal when I'm done is to have an all aluminum engine to save weight. This would be after i stroked it.

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket