What are you reading these days?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
gac

Post by gac »

I listened to the audio of Not a Good Day to Die and Naylor did a great job researching that book. Special Forces guys are often portrayed as super soldiers with an infallibility in combat. Naylor puts a human face on them while at the same time explaining and showing why they are elite.

Another good Iraq book was On Call In **** by Dr. Richard Jadick. Jadick is a Navy doctor who volunteered as Battalion surgeon for a Marine battallion. At least I think it was a Battalion - I never remember how those things are organized.

Jadick deployed to Iraq and set-up his aid stations in the middle of the fighting during the second battle of Fallujah so that Marines and soldiers could get immediate care.
OuchThatsSharp

Post by OuchThatsSharp »

A couple of old ones.

A Rumor of War

Dispatches
It's better to have knife and not need it than to need a knife and not have it.
[SIGPIC]http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s145 ... opelli.jpg[/SIGPIC]
TVOSK

Post by TVOSK »

Just finished reading "Launching a Leadership Revolution-Mastering the five levels of Influence" by Brady and Woodward....

Great book....
Courage is rightly esteemed to first of human qualities... because it is the quality that guarantees all others. -Winston Churchill
Hannibal Lecter

Hmmm...

Post by Hannibal Lecter »

Mes amis,

I have been reading (or more accurately, rereading) several books concurrently.

"Hannibal Rising" has been my goto, though I just finished it again last night and it will be going back into the bookshelves shortly.

Prior to that, Sun Tzu's "The Art of War" had been my goto.

Every night at bedtime I have been reading a couple of chapters of Robert Asprin's "Myth Adventures" to my daughter. I think my wife is as hooked on the story as my daughter is. :p

I have also been filling in with a little bit of Edgar Allen Poe's work at times.

There will be less time for reading as I go forward, since I have taken up the task of relearning French back to my previous level of proficiency (and hopefully beyond). I had actually gotten to the point that I could think in the French language, rather than thinking in English and doing a translation on the fly. I started the Rosetta Stone course this morning and am remembering very quickly, which is promising. It helps that my younger brother speaks the language fairly well, so I will have someone to actually converse with regularly.

After that? Who knows? :cool:

--------
Hannibal
---------------------

"I have followed with enthusiasm the course of your disgrace and public shaming. My own never bothered me except for the inconvenience of being incarcerated, but you may lack perspective."
Piercieve

Post by Piercieve »

Not currently reading, but one of my favorites:
Watership Down ... While it is about talking rabbits, it is dark and mature and is an excellent read for anyone.
"I ain't looking for confusion, but it tends to follow me."

E4 white, E4 waved SE, Caspian Salt, Crossbill, Mule, white Dragonfly, Boker CLB Desert Subcom, BM Blackwood mini Skirmish,
LowSpeedHighDrag

Post by LowSpeedHighDrag »

Doc Pyres wrote:'No True Glory' and 'Generation Kill' are both excellent books. I think I'll have to get to 'One Bullet Away' soon. Not specifically about the USMC, but good reads about the war nonetheless, are 'Not a Good Day to Die' by Sean Naylor, and 'Roberts Ridge' by Malcolm MacPherson (both about Afghanistan). 'Ambush Alley' is an excellent book about US Marines from Task Force Tarawa in Nasiriyah (although you've probably read that one already, Glockfire :) )
Its actually sitting in my bathroom right now along with a myriad of other books, not all USMC books, the Iliad is in there :p
MOLON LABE
dete

Post by dete »

just a few days ago, I re-read
Arsene Lupin vs. Herlock Sholmes

yes Herlock Sholmes :D
to_the_edge

Post by to_the_edge »

I'm usually reading at least two books at a time and right now is no exception. I'm reading a series of macbre short stories in Steven King's Different Seasons. :eek: I also recently began Herman Melville's Moby Dick after finding that James Fenimore Cooper's Last of the Mohicans was lost on me :rolleyes:
"... Regrets are better left unspoken, for all we know this void will grow and everything's in vain..."
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wanted: Paramilitary PE, Kris, Lava, Streetbeat, Mini-Persian
Caly E

Post by Caly E »

access 2007 comprehensive concepts and techniques, word 2007, Income Tax Fundamentals(horror)
PaloArt

Post by PaloArt »

I am reading very interesting book... Tvrtko Vujity - I have seen ****. I am not fan of this kind of books but by this one I am floored. ;)
“There's no friends like the old friends.” James Joyce, Dubliners
DFD04

Post by DFD04 »

I just finnished Milo Afong's Hogs In the Shadows. This is a collection of after action reports of USMC snipers in Iraq. Excellent read, you can read one story in 10 min's, perfect for before bed.
:spyder: The peace of heaven is theirs that lift their swords, in such a just and charitable war.
-William Shakespeare :spyder:
Doc Pyres

Post by Doc Pyres »

DFD04 wrote:I just finnished Milo Afong's Hogs In the Shadows. This is a collection of after action reports of USMC snipers in Iraq. Excellent read, you can read one story in 10 min's, perfect for before bed.
DFD04, that looks like a good read and just went on my 'to get' list.

If you're interested in snipers, you'll probably find the following article very interesting. It's about Cpl. Rob Furlong, who currently holds the world record of 2, 430 m in combat, "surpassing the mark of 2,250 m set by U.S. Marine Gunnery Sgt. Carlos Hathcock during the Vietnam War." It's a griping tale but with a sad outcome.

http://www.macleans.ca/canada/national/ ... 689_126689
gac

Post by gac »

There have been a bunch of sniper books out over the past few years. Afong's book was good because it covered several different shooters and events.

Trigger Men: shadow team, spider-man, the magnificent bastasrds, and the American combat sniper
by Hans Halberstadt.

Stalkers and shooters: a history of snipers by Kevin Dockery.

Shooter: the autobiography of the top-ranked marine sniper by Jack Coughlin (I've read several comments that Coughlin is full of baloney but never read any specifics statements as to why".
dialex

Post by dialex »

Right now is "Choke" by Chuck Palahniuk. FYI, Chuck also wrote "Fight Club", the book after they made the movie with Brad Pitt and Edward Norton.
Palahniuk has a very personal style and his novels are quite unique, that worth reading.
And since the winter will come in a few months with its long nights, I prepared myself with Justin Sompers' "Vampirates" for the kids :) .
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
amen74

Post by amen74 »

Current novel I'm reading is a John Sandford, Dead Watch. Blade Magazine and the local paper. Michael Connelly, Clive Cussler, Stephen King and Dean Koontz are never far behind.

Too many authors to remember at the moment. :D
Aaron

Current EDCs: Golden models
:spyder: FG D2 Military:cool: Orange UKPK:spyder:

NEXT: Rock Lobster, Manix2, TiMil
Doc Pyres

Post by Doc Pyres »

I just finished reading:

Baraka by John Ralston Saul - novel set in 1980 about an oil exec secretly selling US arms captured by the Vietnamese during the war, so he can secure drilling rights to Vietnam's oil fields. Nicely written with great descriptions of Vietnam and Morocco.

Woken Furies by Richard K. Morgan (Book 3 of the Takeshi Kovacs novels) - if you're into action-packed, hard hitting, and gory sci-fi, this is a must read. Kovacs gets a new combat 'sleeve' and goes after the Yakuza, battle droids, and even himself!

Now I think it's time for me to start looking for some of the recommendations from readers in this thread. :)
Irish Lager

Post by Irish Lager »

Have a Nice Day: A Tale of Blood and Sweatsocks
by Mick Foley

About half way through it, so far its one of the funniest things I've read.
J
Say what you mean, Mean what you say! :spyder:

tigerose123

Post by tigerose123 »

I read a lot of horror, mostly Stephen King. Pet Sematary (it's spelled wrong on purpose :D ), The Shining, and Cujo are a few of my favorites. Also gotta love the Harry Potter series! Right now I'm reading Wicked, and next I will most likely read Ender's Game.

Good thread :spyder: :spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
TxR

FRN Endura PE
SS Cricket SE
FRN Delica SE
FRN Native PE
SS Harpy SE
G10 Caly3 SE 089
G10 Barong PE
G10 Military PE:spyder:
FRN Jester PE:spyder:
52100 Mule Team PE 122
SS Dragonfly PE
White FRN Dragonfly PE
Grey FRN Endura Wave PE
MOP/Abalone Kiwi PE:spyder:

EDC: Kiwi, Military, Jester

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE:
Majidoc

Post by Majidoc »

Super Squats by Randall J. Strossen, Ph.D.
Life is a process not an event!
Knifekulture

Post by Knifekulture »

Orientalism by Edward W. Said
My :spyder: collection: C36CF90VP-C36GP-C81GBK-C121P-C117P-C07P-C07LCFS-C110P-FB11