Sony PSP or "other"?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
AH2525

Sony PSP or "other"?

Post by AH2525 »

I am looking for something to use for a little bit of video games, mainly mp3 and video though. I had some recommendations for a PSP. Anybody else with ideas, recommendations, reviews?

I know it's way off-topic. But I also know spydie people are smart people. ;)
quattrokid73

Post by quattrokid73 »

The PSP is a great gaming system. I have a PSP slim and a DS lite. They are both great, but the PSP is better for the older audience.

For MP3 and video, the PSP works but it's by NO means a pleasant experience. You're better off buying a 4gb iPod Nano with the money you would spend on UMD's or memory sticks and using that for audio and video. I know it's 2 devices not 1, but it would be 20 times better experience.

Great PSP titles:

Ratchet and Clank
Syphon Filter
Killzone
Wipeout
http://www.coroflot.com/aham73

:spyder: Orange Millie, UKPK Orange, DP UKPK, FRN UKPK Maroon DP, Urban Wharnie, Chokwe, Zulu, Mini Persian G-10, Spin Etched, Leafstorm, Caly Jr Gray, Sage 3, Lum CF

Every machine is the spiritualization of an organism.
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

Get an EEEPC ;)
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
thread

Post by thread »

My vote is for the DS Lite.
The quality of the games coming out these day is unbelievable.
I like that it's a clamshell, so the design keeps the screens clear of scrapes and scratches. (and we all like handsomely designed pocketables that flip open, no?)

Furthermore, you can buy a micro-sd reader to put into the DS. This allows you to use it as a basic PDA, and you can watch movies, play mp3s, etc through it. Like quattro said, dedicated devices are better for these applications, but the option is there. Without getting into the moral issue, you can download roms for free and play them through the card as well.

That said, I've never played a psp - though I do like the design, and the screen is _really_ nice.
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

Just asked my son who owns/owned about every game computer from the past few years(spoiled little brat :( :D ) and he recommends the PSP ;)
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
uhiforgot

Post by uhiforgot »

AH2525 wrote:I am looking for something to use for a little bit of video games, mainly mp3 and video though. I had some recommendations for a PSP. Anybody else with ideas, recommendations, reviews?

I know it's way off-topic. But I also know spydie people are smart people. ;)
You've got a tall order here. If you want something to play video games, get something to play video games. If you want something to play mp3's and video, get something for that. Trying to fit everything into one package sometimes makes for some half-assed components and short battery life.

That being said, I'll throw in a vote for the DS Lite for hand held video games. Nintendo may not be the ultimate masters of processing or graphics (though the DS is actually REALLY strong in that department), but I'll be damned if they aren't REALLY good at making stuff that's FUN!

I'll be honest, I haven't played anything PSP before, and at this rate probably never will since the control scheme is essentially a souped-up version of traditional handheld gaming. One thing I can say in favor of the DS, though, is that the control schemes based on the touch screen and all other parts are utilized differently for every game and that makes for absolutely AWESOME gameplay.

I've played a **** good portion of the games on DS and have been really blown away by more than a handful of them, namely:
-The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
-Metroid Prime: Hunters
-Mario Kart DS
-Bomberman Land Touch
-Megaman ZX
-Megaman ZX Advent
-Bleach: The Blade of Fate
-Bleach DS 2nd: (still waiting for the English release, but I've played aimlessly with the Japanese version and it's pretty cool)

Make no mistake, though, there are more really BAD games on the DS than there are good ones, but once you find a few good ones (like the above :cool :) you'll be hungry for more :D

A very wise man once told me "Eat to live; don't live to eat." ...To my knowledge that's the only stupid thing he's ever said.
quattrokid73

Post by quattrokid73 »

i think an important question is:

do you enjoy casual gaming?

or are you a "hardcore" gamer that loves to be immersed in what he/she is playing?

if it's the former, go DS Lite, latter, go PSP slim.
http://www.coroflot.com/aham73

:spyder: Orange Millie, UKPK Orange, DP UKPK, FRN UKPK Maroon DP, Urban Wharnie, Chokwe, Zulu, Mini Persian G-10, Spin Etched, Leafstorm, Caly Jr Gray, Sage 3, Lum CF

Every machine is the spiritualization of an organism.
dete

Post by dete »

I'm the type of guy who picks by the games not by the system,
and the PSP has tons of games that I like... so I'm staying clear away from it!

Puzzle fighter and Twisted Metal Black are among my top favorite video games ever!
Davis61381

Post by Davis61381 »

I have a DS Lite and I absolutely Love it. I have a back-up card in the mail as we speak so I can use it as a PDA. I would vote for DS over PSP, but I have never used a PSP and can't give you an honest comparison.
-davis
jeff189

Post by jeff189 »

The ipod touch is great for mp3 and video. The new software upgrade will let you add 3rd party software. That should make games available as well.
nathan310

Post by nathan310 »

God of war on sony psp IMO is the best game ever released on a portable system.

You have got ot play it.

The graphics are incredible, the gameplay is awesome, the battles are epic and there's even mini-games in it where you get to push the buttons the and make 2 beautiful topless girls orgasm at the same time.

And I got it on ebay for $20.00.
*Cho*

Post by *Cho* »

thread wrote:Without getting into the moral issue, you can download roms for free and play them through the card as well.

That said, I've never played a psp - though I do like the design, and the screen is _really_ nice.
You can do the same on PSP without having to buy anything extra. Instead of installing hardware (ie inserting an R4) all you need to install is some software.

I don't have a PSP but most of my friends do, I do own a DS and I'm satisfied with it, but I only use for gaming.

Oh and with the PSP you can install emulators from other consoles such as PSX, NES, SNES, N64, GBA etc and their ROMs.