Balding

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Vincent

Balding

Post by Vincent »

So I am just 23 and already starting top go Bald. Hair on top went thin and now its starting to recede. I went to a dermatologist and he told me to suck it up and gave me a big pat on the back.

Is anybody here also Balding and if so how young did it start for you and were you able to do anything to keep it longer.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Mom noticed mine was thinning out when I was 14. It was gone by my 19th birthday (it never recovered from my boot camp buzzcut). Anyone who tells you that baldness is passed down on your mother's side is lying. There is no history of baldness on Mom's side and no history of hair retention on Dad's side.

God created a few perfect heads. The rest He had to cover with hair. ;)
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
rlw1979777

Post by rlw1979777 »

Shave your head, drop the nuke. DONT LET IT WIN!!
I have a small collection.. At least in my mind its small. All respect to Sal and this great company! Collector Club Member #120
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

I would not be a good looking bald
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

The whole hair thing is overrated IMO. Once a month I sit on the floor budda style and shave my hair off with clippers. The best place for my hair is on the floor, or the trash. It's a habit I got in working in the un airconditioned lockup dorms through many hot, humid NC summers. I didn't even keep it this short in the army. Now I can't stand having long hair anymore. Joe

No hair= http://img87.imageshack.us/my.php?image ... 0029cz.jpg
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
A.P.F.

Post by A.P.F. »

The Mastiff wrote:The whole hair thing is overrated IMO. Once a month I sit on the floor buddah style and shave my hair off with clippers. The best place for my hair is on the floor, or the trash. It's a habit I got in working in the un airconditioned lockup dorms through many hot, humid NC summers. I didn't even keep it this short in the army. Now I can't stand having long hair anymore. Joe

No hair= http://img87.imageshack.us/my.php?image ... 0029cz.jpg
Yup, I am with you, Joe. I have a full head of hair at 54, that I regularly buzz cut. I just can't stand the feeling of high maintenance long hair.
Regards, Al

The "soul" of hi-tech materials like G-10, H1, ZDP, Titanium, carbon fiber, etc is found in the performance. That appreciation of the "spirit" comes out in time, after use. It's saying, you can depend on me! I'm there for you no matter what! - Sal Glesser
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

Vincent wrote:So I am just 23 and already starting top go Bald. Hair on top went thin and now its starting to recede. I went to a dermatologist and he told me to suck it up and gave me a big pat on the back.

Is anybody here also Balding and if so how young did it start for you and were you able to do anything to keep it longer.
i love off topic! hey im sprouting greys bad from my job i think, i look 18 but im 30 which is weird for a 30 year old but whatever. who cares about the balding! be happy! if anything shave your head on a number 2 of a 1 it all looks the same.
Ian UK

Post by Ian UK »

I have plenty of hair (not all over) but went grey at 18 and white by 21ish but agree either way I hate high maintenance hair and every fortnight need it or not, I cut it nearly all off.

I had chemo a few years back and it has never fully grown back with bald spots here and there so...

I have it like the USMC have it with a bit on top but none on the sides (please someone tell me what that cuts called) and have never owned a comb for 20 odd years!

A bottle of shampoo I bought in 1983 is still going strong...lol :)
:spyder: IAN UK Collector #116.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

It's called "high and tight" Ian. If they call it something else now I'm unaware of it.I still shampoo my hair....stubs....every day twice. It is nice to be able to just dump a bucket of water on your head when you're out in the heat here without worrying about your hair. You do need to watch out for sunburn though. Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
Ian UK

Post by Ian UK »

Cheers Mastiff, thanks for the info. :)
:spyder: IAN UK Collector #116.
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

Hey Vince, I would say : f :spyder: :spyder:k it.

Naturally I have thick full hair but I prefer it this way.

I'm too cheap to go to the hair dresser and too **** lasy and easy to look longer in the mirror than 2 seconds :eek: ;) :D

As long as you're physically healthy I wouldn't be so concerned my friend :)

Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
Shike

Post by Shike »

I started loosing my hair when I was in my 20's by the mid 30's it was a loosing battle so I said razor here I come. I have shaved my head ever since and I am 50 now.

If it is really important to you, I would get a second opinion on your hair loss. More advances in hair loss treatment stuff nowadays.

Regards

Shike
araneae

Post by araneae »

I have been shaving my own head for a couple years now- down to about an eighth of an inch. I first shaved it when my girlfriend was diagnosed with Hodgkin's disease. I figured I'd lose my hair first. Been doing it since then and its pretty nice to have nothing to worry about up there.

If you're concerned about your hair loss I am sure you have some options. Look into a second opinion.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
EarthDog

Post by EarthDog »

Better to have the hair go than the testosterone.
EarthDog
mrappraisit

Post by mrappraisit »

yablanowitz wrote:Mom noticed mine was thinning out when I was 14. It was gone by my 19th birthday (it never recovered from my boot camp buzzcut). Anyone who tells you that baldness is passed down on your mother's side is lying. There is no history of baldness on Mom's side and no history of hair retention on Dad's side.

God created a few perfect heads. The rest He had to cover with hair. ;)
Totally agree with that. Mine is starting to thin and my mothers side has no history of baldness that anyone can remember, unless you count my great grandmother ;) While my dad was fairly bald by my age (34). I think my genes ended up in the middle. I'm not bald yet, but it doesn't look like I'll be keeping it forever either.

Vincent wrote:I would not be a good looking bald
I feel your pain, I have a big Irish head with a few well placed scars :eek:
After enlightenment, the laundry.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Vincent,

The crown of my head is bald to the point where if I let my hair grow you can see my scalp through the hair. My hairline is receding to the point of looking kinda funny if I have hair.

I went through the same thing between age 25-30. My hair started thinning at about 23. I'm 35 right now. I like to take good care of myself and make sure I am always well groomed but I really couldn't care less about what people think of my hair. I decided instead of going crazy about it and trying to put crap on it to help it grow back or grow more I would just shave it all off.

I've let it grow back and then shaved it off probably at least 10 times in the last 5 years or so. I prefer it shaved off. I don't shave it completely but instead I take a set of Wahl clippers and cut my hair off with no guard at all. It leaves it about 1/8" tall everywhere and it looks and feels good.

In my opinion there is not a whole lot worse than an insecure guy that combs his hair over to give the "illusion" that he has hair when he is not fooling anyone but himself.

You will be (and look) more confident if you just take that crap off bro.

My wife likes it and I have been complimented by other women a number of times that it looks so good like that.

Everyone thinks they don't look good with a shaved head at first but you will look fine.

Shave it and don't look back. ;)
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Lockback

Post by Lockback »

Vincent wrote:So I am just 23 and already starting top go Bald.
Are you sure you haven't been testing the "hair-popping" sharpness of your knives too much? :D
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

I'm an old guy so what I have seen is:
1.Women don't care if you are loosing your hair, but work on building your character, that counts a lot.
2.Women know men loose hair and accept it, IF you have the saving grace of character.
3.Any woman who bases her opinion of you on outward appearance(baths and clean clothes,etc are important)isn't worth your time.
4.When the time comes get a 1/4" all over cut.
5.Don't do the "flip over the bald spot" hair doo. Women laugh at that.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Here's a pic of me and my beautiful hair. :)

"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Venerable Dawg

If you don't feel that shaving it is an option, there are treatment options.

Post by Venerable Dawg »

short term, 5% minoxidil is dirt cheap these days, about $17 for a 6 month supply at Costco. Apply it to the vertex (back of the head) about twice a day.

Propecia helps to keep the hair you already have and maybe even regain some on the top of your head and the vertex. It's not cheap. But Hair2go.com has the least expensive I have been able to find on the net. Avodart is better than Propecia at blocking DHT hormone that cause hair loss but isn't FDA approved and has a higher risk of side effects.

For a receding hairline. Not many choices. http://www.dermatch.com has a good cover product. Hair transplant is the best long term choice. Dr Brandy (brandymd.com) is the best of the bunch. Not cheap. Get on a summer short list for a discount ($500) and take a low internest loan on a monthly payment plan if you are serious. Good luck.

Dawg

You know what they say. Hair today, gone tomorrow ;)