This Is What Happened

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
raven

This Is What Happened

Post by raven »

Hey All, Im sure there are a lot of you wondering what exactly happened the night of my accident ... Here Goes ...

Earlier during the shift, my partner had dealt with this genius while in the County. I was out in another area on patrol and was making my way to cover my partner as he contacted this guy. The reason for the contact, was that he was reported as being intoxicated and was staggering somewhat into traffic ... I contacted my partner and told him I was in-route to his location. He stated that he had made contact and was OK. He also stated that the subject didn't appear intoxicated, ran him through NCIC/CCIC for wants and warrants ... he came back clear and my partner send him on his way ... he stated he was walking to a friends house.

At approximately 9:45pm ... I was contacted by dispatch and advised that the same subject had made it into the city limits and was threatening suicide. I had just pulled into my parent's driveway and was going to grab a quick bite.

I didn't have to respond since he was in the city and the police could deal with him, but I was close by and the officer they called for is a rookie in every sense of the word ... on the force for only 2 months. I figured I had better give him a hand. I got there first and made contact with the subject again. My partner showed up shortly after and I started asking this guy what was going on. He started talking about walking to his friend's house and just started acting really nervous. Then I asked if he was trying to hurt himself and if so, we could get someone for him to talk too and help him. Of course he denied any suicidal thoughts. i asked if he had been drinking, he stated he had earlier in the evening. I asked if I could do a simple test to see if he was on anything else ... he agreed. I conducted what's called a "Gaze Nystagmus". By checking the eyes for smooth tracking as they move from side to side and up/down ... well this guy's eyes were like watching "ping pong balls", just bouncing like crazy. I asked if he'd blow in our PBT(portable breath tester)... he said "OK". He blew and he was well over .100 and good he wasn't driving.

He was respectful and cooperative through everything so far. I didn't have a problem giving him a ride to a friends or just sending him on his way, except for the threats of suicide. I informed him that he was not under arrest nor did he have any charges. I informed him that we were going to take him to the detox facility to sleep it off, then he could be on his way. He said "fine".

I turned him away to put him in cuffs and I noticed a "SUPER KNIFE" in his right front pocket. HE BAILED OVER A "JERSEY BARRIER" AND BOLTED TOWARD THE CONSTRUCTION SITE!!! I'm right behind him and gaining fast ... were running on gravel, he goes to leap forward, I GRAB A HANDFUL OF ANKLE AND FLIP HIM RIGHT ONTO THE SIDE OF HIS FACE ... I TRY TO GET A BETTER GRIP ON HIM, LEFT FOOT SLIDES BACK ON THE GRAVEL SHORTENING MY STRIDE AS I TRY TO PLANT MY RIGHT FOOT OVER A CONCRETE SLAB AND JUST CATCH THE TIP OF MY BOOT THROWING ME OFF BALANCE AND RIGHT HAND FIRST INTO THE METAL CAGES/REBAR.

The only thing I felt was a dull impact ... didn't even hurt. I start going after the guy and continue running for about 10 to 15 yards and I FEEL DRIP, DRIP, GUSH SOMETHING WARM RUNNING DOWN MY HAND ... I LOOK DOWN AT MY HAND AND THERE'S BLOOD POURING OUT OF IT. My partner continues the chase for a bit. I walk back to my unit and contact dispatch to get med unit rolling my direction and informed them that an officer had been injured.

I wait back at the unit and I can't stop the bleeding ... my partner shows up and grabs the firstaid kit and uses a compression bandage to stop the bleeding ... meantime the city police continue the search and apprehension of the subject, who now has a bunch of charges on him, as I get a ride in the ambulance. The rest has been 2 surgeries and recovery.

I went down to the construction site today and took this photo of the metal my hand went through. Just thought I'd share ... Thanks for listening ;) . Take Very Good Care and Be Safe Always.

God Bless All :)

-raven-
Attachments
CAGES 003.jpg
CAGES 003.jpg (93.25 KiB) Viewed 3411 times
ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.
Billy

Post by Billy »

**** Raven, glad it was "just" your hand and not your face! :eek:

Again, glad you are on the mend now. Heal quickly so you can keep on keepin on!
I prefer to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.
I LOVE MY MILLIES
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
quattrokid73

Post by quattrokid73 »

What a story. I wish you a speedy recovery. Thanks for having the guts to do what you are doing.
http://www.coroflot.com/aham73

:spyder: Orange Millie, UKPK Orange, DP UKPK, FRN UKPK Maroon DP, Urban Wharnie, Chokwe, Zulu, Mini Persian G-10, Spin Etched, Leafstorm, Caly Jr Gray, Sage 3, Lum CF

Every machine is the spiritualization of an organism.
araneae

Post by araneae »

OUCH. That doesn't look or sound like fun. My Uncle, also a LEO, had a fall while on duty chasing a bad guy. He also landed on rebar- it went through the side of his knee. :eek: A few surgeries and many years later he's fine and still chasing the bad guys.

Take care and rest up.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
A.P.F.

Post by A.P.F. »

I am very sorry to hear of that injury, Raven. :(

I think that you should treat yourself to a new :spyder: , you deserve it.
Regards, Al

The "soul" of hi-tech materials like G-10, H1, ZDP, Titanium, carbon fiber, etc is found in the performance. That appreciation of the "spirit" comes out in time, after use. It's saying, you can depend on me! I'm there for you no matter what! - Sal Glesser
mrappraisit

Post by mrappraisit »

Raven - Glad you are doing better. That stuff looks like wire mesh, it's nasty stuff with lots and lots of sharp edges. Glad the injury wasn't worse.
After enlightenment, the laundry.
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Hey Raven,

Glad you are on the mend. That steel reinforcing is really bad stuff. I got stabbed through my hands as well ....not chasing criminals though, just yelling at construction workers when I was on a building site doing an inspection. The builders were laughing when I tripped up , helmet protected my face, but not my hands :p Hurts a bit and you have to watch out with the rusting on them that you don't get infections.

Rest well, hope they catch the guy.
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
Shike

Post by Shike »

My wishes for a fast and complete recovery.
Tank

Post by Tank »

Sounds like an episode of cops... Glad it was just the hand. Hope you recover quickly so you can get back to racing and chasing bad guys.

Peace Brother
-John
raven

Post by raven »

Billy wrote:**** Raven, glad it was "just" your hand and not your face! :eek:

Again, glad you are on the mend now. Heal quickly so you can keep on keepin on!
Hey Billy, I thought about that ... had I not put my hand up, I probably wouldn't be typing this right now :eek: :o .
Percival wrote:I am very sorry to hear of that injury, Raven. :(

I think that you should treat yourself to a new :spyder: , you deserve it.
Hi Percival, I had planned on getting a PE Embassy to celebrate my promotion to Sergeant, but It'll have to wait ... have to save up for the trips to the doc and Physical Therapy now :rolleyes: . Oh well ... the sooner I get back, the sooner I could save up, and sooner I can start chasing Bad Guys Again :p .

Thank You All For The Kind Words and Appreciating What We Do. IT MEANS A LOT TO US WHO DON'T HEAR IT ... THOSE WORDS GO A LONG WAY FOR US ;) . Take Good Care All and Be Safe Always.

God Bless All :)

-raven-
ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

I took one look at those sharp points and the rust and said, "Oooooo..." That doesn't look pleasant at all.

Thanks for sharing your story, Raven! Again, glad the hand will be fine and that you're doing well. Thanks for all you and your colleagues do for the community!
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Raven we are all just so glad you are on your way back to 100%...Heal Quick my friend...Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
potterma

Post by potterma »

Yikes, bro! Glad it wasn't worse than that!

Prayers for a speedy recovery!
www.KnifeRights.org
By Knife Owners. For Knife Owners.

CLB Designs

My Flickr Page
TheKnifeCollector

Post by TheKnifeCollector »

OUCHY my friend!! Your injury was bad enough, I am glad it wasn't worse! Did you do any permanent nerve damage or anything? How is your hand doing?
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

raven that's some nasty looking reebars .... i'm getting flashbacks of Terminator movies :eek: good luck with pt/ot/rehab :)
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
JaM

Post by JaM »

Get well soon :) !!
raven

Post by raven »

TheKnifeCollector wrote:OUCHY my friend!! Your injury was bad enough, I am glad it wasn't worse! Did you do any permanent nerve damage or anything? How is your hand doing?
Hey KnifeSis, The doc was able to re-attach the nerves ... just a matter of waiting and see what the word is on June 17th when he unwraps everything. I know I have numbness in my ring finger where most of the damage was, but my hand is pretty weak overall after all the surgery. I know it takes some time for nerves to heal up, but as long as I can do my job and HANG ONTO/GRIP THE HANDLEBARS :p ... I'll be Happy and willing to sacrifice some feeling/numbness. It's all about patience on my part :rolleyes: :p . Take Good Care and Be Safe Always.

God Bless :)

-raven-

bluemist

Post by bluemist »

Raven,

I hope your medical bills are covered by the tax payers, you should not have to spend a dime out of pocket. It burns me up to hear about LEO's and Guards using their own resources to deal w/ on the job injuries, and while rant mode is on same goes for wounded soldiers and 9/11 responders.
spyder spyder spyder spyder
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

Gil, heal quickly, my friend! Glad it wasn't worse for you.
And thanks for your service, brother. Stay safe and watch your six.
Referee in the Bowels of ****
Email: ST8PEN01@aol.com
Artwork For Sale

"...We few, we happy few...we band of brothers...For whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare

If you are not willing to stand behind our troops, by all means, please stand in front of them!
Agent Starling

Post by Agent Starling »

wow, that stuff looks horrendous...thank goodness you're healing up OK!

Agent Starling
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."