Anyone own a Fallkniven U2? Impressions?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Spygineer

Anyone own a Fallkniven U2? Impressions?

Post by Spygineer »

Been looking at the Fallkniven U2 (since none of the :spyder: I do not already own is of interest to me... :( ). Interested in trying one out, but not familiar with the blade material - Super Gold Powder Steel, SGPS. All I know is that it's a great cutter and the edge retention is great, if not one of the best (or so I've been told).

Any owners out there care to give their impression? Is this material as good as advertized and is it difficult to sharpen? Any experience with Fallknicen in general?

Thanks in advance.
I'm Hooked like a hawkbilll!!!:D
i.v

Post by i.v »

I got a U2 a few years ago when they just came out and I have to admit that it's a fantastic knife.
The SGPS is wonderful, takes a killer edge and with the U2's geometry seems to hold it longer than any knife I've ever had. Admittedly, it is (for me) a little difficult to sharpen on the sharpmaker but if you have diamond hones you should have a much easier time.

All in all it's a great little knife, really is.
Spygineer

Post by Spygineer »

Thanks I.V. I did a search and people seem to like it (I feel so late in the game just discovering this knife). I like the simple, non-threatening look to it. And seems to be a great slicer. So I think I'll give it a try. I need something to tie me over til the urban, leafstorm, and the G-10 lava arrive!!!
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

U2:
Looked it it for a long time before getting one a while back. The price is a bit high for a FRP handle, but the blade is great, very well finished and the shape is people frendly. Lock works very well. I didn' like the plastic, so I did a mod on it to Cocobola scales with SS liners and add a clip, Looks like a Gent's knife now. Oh, Carbon Fiber spring holder, for light weight.
If you get one, you won't be sorry.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
TheKnifeCollector

Post by TheKnifeCollector »

It is a GREAT little knife! I used to have one, when I still bought production knives. It is a wicked sharp little beast.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

Seeing how I still buy production knives, I'll have to give the U2 a try some day... :D
Spyopera
SFKW sugilite Kiwi
CRK Small Sebenza 31
Far too many sold...:o

Trusting my own experience
Spygineer

Post by Spygineer »

gull wing wrote:U2:
Looked it it for a long time before getting one a while back. The price is a bit high for a FRP handle, but the blade is great, very well finished and the shape is people frendly. Lock works very well. I didn' like the plastic, so I did a mod on it to Cocobola scales with SS liners and add a clip, Looks like a Gent's knife now. Oh, Carbon Fiber spring holder, for light weight.
If you get one, you won't be sorry.

Simply amazing work, Gullwing! You certainly have a great eye for beauty! Love the attention to detail down to the CF spring holder and clip!
amen74

Post by amen74 »

I have heard the U2 gets hair whittling sharp with excellent edge retention. YouTube has some videos on it, if you'd like to check them out.
Aaron

Current EDCs: Golden models
:spyder: FG D2 Military:cool: Orange UKPK:spyder:

NEXT: Rock Lobster, Manix2, TiMil
Spygineer

Post by Spygineer »

thanks for all the feedback!

If I may ask another favor, can someone kindly post a pic with either a delica or a dfly or any :spyder: for size comparison.

Thanks again!
lycanthought

Post by lycanthought »

I've got a U1, which doesn't lock, but has much nicer looks - blue stained bone scales in my case. It is great steel, pretty close to ZDP189, but seems much more stainless. Only thing I don't like about it is that the blade doesn't have a very fine point. Still, its replaced my Kopa as EDC for the moment as it's UK legal.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

IIRC, it's SG ( don't know if it's SG1 or SG2), that's also laminated with VG2 for those who are into trivia.

I have the U2, and a TK4. They are very simple but well made knives that take a nice edge and retain it pretty well too.

Kershaw also uses super gold in several of their knives, laminated with ( not as sure about this) 420j2. Whatever they use it works out very well there also IMO. My Kershaw JYD2 Ti framelock with their SG2 steel was the second sharpest out of the box knife I've ever had, second only to the stretch 2 in ZDP, in out of the box sharpness. joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
whitefeather

Blade hits the frame

Post by whitefeather »

I have a U-2. The only problem I have with it is the edge of the blade hits the frame when in the closed position. You can actually here and feel it scrape the edge if you push the blade back and forth in the closed position. It is for this reason that I do not carry this knife.
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

gullwing: great job on that cocobolo U2 :cool:
I've got a U2, it has some trace vertical blade play (in locked position) but is very light and suitable for "office carry"...
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."