Not a Cold Steel bashing thread but curiousity

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
gac

Not a Cold Steel bashing thread but curiousity

Post by gac »

I was looking at the website for GP knives and their sale page has several of Cold Steel's high-end knives on sale: http://www.gpknives.com/specials.html.

Okay, many of those knives have titanium frames, bolsters, and liners so that could get pricey. I've never handled or used one to make a full judgement on sturdiness, steel quality and edge. And, the suggested retail price can be ignored because only a fool is buying at MSRP. But, $219 to $280? On sale? Unless these are semi-custom knives how could they possibly be worth that much in comparison to the many other products on the market?
mrappraisit

Post by mrappraisit »

gac wrote: Unless these are semi-custom knives how could they possibly be worth that much in comparison to the many other products on the market?
That's a good question... that I don't have an answer to. :p
Some of the designs are O.K. but many of the sizes do not match MY needs, and the prices often seem at odd's with the materials used for blade steel. IMHO :)
After enlightenment, the laundry.
Sakuraba#1

Post by Sakuraba#1 »

I am not a big Cold Steel fan but I do think that these are very good knives but a bit overpriced. I have handled all of them but the scimitar shaped one and the small wharncliffe. The all had flawless fit and finish and were extremely sharp especially the tanto folder. The liner locks on them were some of the best I have seen on a production folder. I wouldn't mind owning a couple but they all have almost 4 inch blades. If they were sub $200 I would get probably buy one.
kimjune01

Post by kimjune01 »

On the other hand, they have lower-end super-low-priced knives such as the Kukri and some throwing knives. They know their target market and it's definitely different(although some overlap) from Spyderco for sure.
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

Personally, I don't believe their fit, finish, and materials justify their prices. There are many other makers out there who offer superior pieces for comparable prices.
Referee in the Bowels of ****
Email: ST8PEN01@aol.com
Artwork For Sale

"...We few, we happy few...we band of brothers...For whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare

If you are not willing to stand behind our troops, by all means, please stand in front of them!
Tom v S

Post by Tom v S »

All I can say is that the Black Sable is a lovely piece. Great quality, and I think the price is fair. Here in the Netherlands a piece like the Black Sable would cost you at least $70:eek: . So for me $260 is a very good deal.
jag-engr

Post by jag-engr »

kimjune01 wrote:On the other hand, they have lower-end super-low-priced knives such as the Kukri and some throwing knives.
What kimjune01 said - they have some very good low-end, hard-use knives. I also like some of their machetes, but they use 2mm steel on a lot of them, which is too thin.

I think that they are still learning on their higher-end knives. They put a lot of effort into materials everwhere but the blade. They make BIG knives, too. That doesn't appeal to everyone (myself included).

Also, if you need something exotic, such as a spear, non-metallic knife, or tomahawk, they probably have something for you at a good price.
Shike

Post by Shike »

What Shawn said!

jag-engr wrote:
I think that they are still learning on their higher-end knives. They put a lot of effort into materials everywhere but the blade. They make BIG knives, too. That doesn't appeal to everyone (myself included).
Actually I do not think they make anything. They just market them. That said I have had a couple of their knives and they are very tough. I currently only own one of their Imperial Katanas and although not lively in the hand, it is well made and razor sharp.
gac

Post by gac »

From everyone's comments it sounds like those knives are very well made. So thanks for the info. It seems very odd that CS would spend the time and effort to produce a good folder but use a blade steel that is substandard in relation to the rest of the product.