Don't you just love human error

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
tonydahose

Don't you just love human error

Post by tonydahose »

late last nite i got an email about suspicious activity on my debit card....i don't have a debit card :mad: . so long story short after being transferred to 5 different people last nite it looks like someone has a credit card (not debit now) with his info and my social security number :mad: :mad: :mad: . my sister went through idenity theft and i know it is a major PITA. when i tried to cancel the card that this other person is using the lady said sorry but you can't because i am not him, so now i am really pissed. its around 2230 hrs and all the numbers for ID theft are closed so i am SOL until this morning. today i call up and get a police report, then call the credit card company to see if they can put a freeze on it now that i have the report. 6 more transfers and 75 minutes on the phone and i find out that the person who took his info to get a credit card mistyped one number in his SS# so it matched mine. i still have to call the 3 credit agencies to cover my butt, the CC company said they would take care of it :rolleyes: :rolleyes:. anyways a word to the wise, check your credit report often. i have to get back on the phone now :( :(
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
AllenETreat

getting hosed...

Post by AllenETreat »

tonydahose -

Try this website ( as most ID thefts are done by computer ) -

http://www.ic3.gov

and, one of my favorites -

http://www.ftc.gov

Take care!

AET

( p.s. - thanx for the heads up on my thread! ;) )
All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds, awake in the day to find that it was vanity. But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it reality.

T.E. Lawrence
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

that sucks Tony bigtime, its a major pain dealing with your own personal situations when it comes to credit cards and debit cards, i deal with this crap everyday for a living, credit cards love to get you into one but never want to doing anything to help you

your situation is a little different though, identity theft is horrible

what credit card is it chase, b of a, citi ?
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

it was bank of america....i actually got someone that seems like she took care of everything. she was the one that figured out it was just a typo and not identity theft. she said it would take 30-45 days for it to clear up with the credit agencies. i have a gold membership with equifax because one of my old companies somehow lost all of the employees info so they gave it to us for free for 2 years. (i have had this happen 3x once with Swiss Air, once with the carpenters union and once with the city of chicago, a gang banger was caught stealing info in the payroll division...lovely huh) i saw the bank of america account last nite on my credit report. today after i spoke with the representative from B.O.A. i called equifax to file a dispute or whatever they call it and the lady said she couldn't find the credit account. i checked on my computer and it is gone, like it never existed. i was dumbfounded...even my old accounts from when i was 18 are on there but this one just disappeared. (i had a legitimate account with them back in 2000) it is kind of freaky...i would hate to piss off someone with that much power. i am picturing the two old guys making a $1 bet in Trading Places :p
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

tonydahose wrote:it was bank of america....i actually got someone that seems like she took care of everything. she was the one that figured out it was just a typo and not identity theft. she said it would take 30-45 days for it to clear up with the credit agencies. i have a gold membership with equifax because one of my old companies somehow lost all of the employees info so they gave it to us for free for 2 years. (i have had this happen 3x once with Swiss Air, once with the carpenters union and once with the city of chicago, a gang banger was caught stealing info in the payroll division...lovely huh) i saw the bank of america account last nite on my credit report. today after i spoke with the representative from B.O.A. i called equifax to file a dispute or whatever they call it and the lady said she couldn't find the credit account. i checked on my computer and it is gone, like it never existed. i was dumbfounded...even my old accounts from when i was 18 are on there but this one just disappeared. (i had a legitimate account with them back in 2000) it is kind of freaky...i would hate to piss off someone with that much power. i am picturing the two old guys making a $1 bet in Trading Places :p

sounds like a good old waste of time for you in this case, sucks