My new favorite non-Spyders...

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Episteme

My new favorite non-Spyders...

Postby Episteme » Thu May 22, 2008 11:09 pm

While I am still a devout Spyderco fan, I thought I would share some thoughts on what I consider my new favorite non-spyder knives, namely, the Ka-bar TDI series fixed blades.
These small to moderate sized fixed blades are really handy little tools that come with very useful sheaths that include many options. I have two models of the Ka-bar TDI; the smaller version which has a 2.5 inch serrated blade, and the larger version that has a serrated edge and tanto point. The most interesting and tell-tale feature of these knives would be the angle that is created between the handle and blade, which has the knife draw and point like a pistol in a similar fashion vis a vis the Spyderco Massad Ayoob model. The cant of the blade from the handle also cuts down on the overall length of the knife, and allows for easier carry (not to mention some powerful thrusting potential).
Anyone looking for a small fixed blade that could really serve as a life-saving defense tool would do well to check these out.
I'd be interested in hearing what others here might have to say about the Ka-bar TDI series.
Best,
Mike
"Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing admiration and awe, the more often and steadily we reflect upon them: the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me." -Immanuel Kant

"I do not worry about what will happen; only what needs to be done". -Lucious Hunt, "The Village"

El Tigre

Postby El Tigre » Fri May 23, 2008 4:57 am

Ka Bar TDI is one of my favourite fixed blades for SD. The larger version is on my wish list.

"El Tigre"
Folding knives can be classified in two large groups: Spydercos and the rest!

Please be patient, I dont speak english properly.

amen74

Postby amen74 » Fri May 23, 2008 10:27 pm

El Tigre. What is that on the handle and clip of your Lava? Some kind of tranparent skid tape?

Great pics by the way.
Aaron

Current EDCs: Golden models
:spyder: FG D2 Military:cool: Orange UKPK:spyder:

NEXT: Rock Lobster, Manix2, TiMil

El Tigre

Postby El Tigre » Sat May 24, 2008 6:43 am

It is 3m grip-tape.This 3m tape is diferent to skateboard tape and stairs tape.
This tape is used in the floor of bathtub.It works great for stainless steel handles.

"El Tigre"
Folding knives can be classified in two large groups: Spydercos and the rest!

Please be patient, I dont speak english properly.

AllenETreat

epistle to dippy...

Postby AllenETreat » Sat May 24, 2008 9:03 am

Episteme -

Ka-bar make's some of the finest combat knives ITAO
( just ask the marines! :eek :) I actually considered a SE version
of El Tigre's then figured it might scare the sheep.

Perfect for MBC or as a backup to a .45.

AET
All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds, awake in the day to find that it was vanity. But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it reality.

T.E. Lawrence

KaliGman

Tdi

Postby KaliGman » Sat May 24, 2008 11:45 am

Personally, I don't care for the TDI series much. In forward grips, the angle of the handle limits the speed and power of a lot of techniques in kali, and renders other techniques unworkable without severe modification. Trapping and passing can both be problematic with short bladed knives with this kind of severe curvature, due to the fact that the wrist, when doing these motions, will lack stability and power. In reverse grip edge out it works pretty well, but, if I am going to use a knife with a curved handle in this type of grip, then I want a karambit--it does things the TDI can't do and has better retention. Oh, and before anyone asks, yes I have had these knives (I think I still have one of the large ones with a black coated blade and desert tan handle in the safe) and worked with them for quite a bit. I picked up one when Ka-Bar first came out with them because I got a huge law enforcement discount at a major law enforcement exposition that Ka-Bar attended and wanted to train with it a bit and see how it compared to some of my karambits.

Just my educated opinion. Your mileage may vary.
"There is no weapon more deadly than the will." Bruce Lee

"The most pervasive and least condemned form of dishonesty is not doing the best you can." Colonel Jeff Cooper

Return to “Off-Topic”