My Own Folder #2

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Brad S.

My Own Folder #2

Post by Brad S. »

So here it is Folder #2. My own design, and a design I am quite happy with as well I might add. For the most part…

I learned a ton from this knife. Realized how important the placement of the pivot is. I got a little overly excited while making and designing this knife that I didn’t check out where the detent ball would go. Then realized after drilling, and grind two blades and two liner sets that I hadn’t accounted for the placement of said Detent. I has one but because of how low my pivot sits I don’t really have space for the ball to run along the blade without slipping off into the choil gap. So… the ball doesn’t make contact with blade until about 65% closed. Which I would prefer something around well 1-10% closed. This knife has gotten a redesign and is now fine and I have 4 more in the works. But I figure, I can show my “failures” as well and maybe some of you can learn from my mistakes.

I am really happy with the knife. I wanted a small folder that was somewhat reminiscent of a straight razor. So here it is. Fits my fiancées hands really well, fits my hands really well, and fits my good friend with huge hands well. Opens one handed. Despite my design flaw its still smooth as butter, which surprised me. Lockup is rock solid. So here are the details.

Blade: CPM-S30V
Liners:Titanium
Scales: G-10
Backspacer: G-10
Length Open: 5.5 inches
Closed:3.25 inches
Cutting Edge: 2.25 inches.

For those of you keeping track… I haven’t posted Folder #1 yet. I am still fine tuning it.

Brad Southard

Southard Knives

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men," Colossians 3:23
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

nice work..kind of looks like the upcoming rock lobster minus the hole of course :p ...good job!
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

Very nice, you seem to share my fascination and love of square bladed knives reminiscent of straight razors. Unfortunately there's not much out there for us.
"Always keep an edge on your knife son, because a good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life."
dedguy.net
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

Nice work, how did you do the nail-nick?
I like the texture on the scales and the back spacer.
Looks a fine little knife to me.
All your knifelinks, http://www.knifelinksportal.com
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

Beautiful :D

I can't wait until you show the first one :D
MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

That looks really nice -- thanks for posting it up!
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
dialex

Post by dialex »

Hi Brad,

I totally love this knife, congratulations and thanks for sharing. Very clean, flowing lines and the manufacturing is top notch too.
I am glad to see that you didn't resume to pimped spydies, but you are coming with your own knives. Please do continue, you show a lot of potential from the first knife (well, the second, but I'm waiting for pics with #1 too). ;)
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
lerman

Post by lerman »

it looks great, i like the design, really great job, i would love to someday be able to make folders as good as this one, can't wait to see the next one.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Brad,

That's some awesome stuff there bro. I love that one. If it had a hole I would love it even more. :) That looks like one strong little folder. Nice work. Love the texturing on the handles. ;)

"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
snuffaluff

Post by snuffaluff »

David Lowry wrote:Brad,

That's some awesome stuff there bro. I love that one. If it had a hole I would love it even more. :) That looks like one strong little folder. Nice work. Love the texturing on the handles. ;)

couldn't have said it better... great looking knife.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Nice job Brad. Looks great!
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
JT

Post by JT »

Nice one!
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
Andyjd

Post by Andyjd »

How the blinking flip, do you make something like that?
What is the process?
Shopping list: Tenacious CE, D'allara
EnRoute: :(
mrappraisit

Post by mrappraisit »

Nice one Brad. Are you sure that's just folder number two?
After enlightenment, the laundry.
Th232

Post by Th232 »

Very nice work for your second folder! Although...

You haven't put a wire clip on it yet?!?
Will

"No one wants to look the fool. Everyone does the best they can. If they knew better, they'd do better" - old woman on the railway tracks to Sal.

BHDKnifer

Post by BHDKnifer »

Wow! Very nice! I like it! Very practical. Should call it the Mini-Chef. Takecare...John.
Spygineer

Post by Spygineer »

:eek: WOOOOW!!!! I've just seen my dream knife!!! That pocket razor looks awesome!

I've always wanted a knife like that. I was hoping the rocklobster would fill that hole, but as it is, it is too big for my taste. But this knife (2" to 2.5" blade) is just perfect!

Man, I hope Spyderco is taking notice of this!
I'm Hooked like a hawkbilll!!!:D
Brad S.

Post by Brad S. »

Thanks for the comments everyone.

First one should be up soon... maybe. Im not all that happy with that one. But I suppose that why it was my firstone. I did the design work for my first three knives on with paper and pencil. Which works great for concepts and such, but I should have used Autocad for the technical stuff. My first one just has all sorts of problems... All well thats how it goes. :) #3 is this same knife, just framelock. Messed up that one two. But #4 is really solid so far. I am really likeing how its turning out.

Dialex,
Its for sure nice to make my own designs rather than do mods on Spydies. I am a designer, so this is alot more fun for me.

Piet.S the Nail nick is done with a Dovetail cutter on a mill. Although this one was done mostly with a dremel cause I'm impatient and didnt have the dovetail cutter yet. :rolleyes:

I'm planning a small run of these this summer (ok like 5). I have some friends that want some, and I want to get some out there to see what other folks think. Now that I have all the kinks in the design work out that is.
Brad Southard

Southard Knives

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men," Colossians 3:23
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

great job Brad, that's quite a beauty :cool:
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
amen74

Post by amen74 »

Hey Brad. Are you kidding me. That is one good looking knife! I've read your posts but had no idea you made knives. I really like the styling of this blade. Looks very smooth, and you've used some of the best material anyone could want. Two thumbs up! When can I place my order!
Aaron

Current EDCs: Golden models
:spyder: FG D2 Military:cool: Orange UKPK:spyder:

NEXT: Rock Lobster, Manix2, TiMil