Anyone Use ArcGIS?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
clovisc

Anyone Use ArcGIS?

Post by clovisc »

i've been meaning to get more into GIS, and i've finally gotten the chance. the non-profit i work with had a copy of ArcGIS 9.2 they never even opened :rolleyes: ... installed it, and am aquiring data and layers that will be useful to us (EPA stuff, HAZMAT routes, environmental/biological data... all the standard stuff that the borough gov't has, as well).

i've been obsessed with GIS for a while, but have never really had the opportunity to delve into the development / data aspects of it. i don't have any formal training, but it seems like something i could figure out on my own, provided i invest the time. i'm pretty psyched -- a brand new toy to use at work...

...and best of all, eventual in-house map creation and spatial data organization... no more contractors!!!!
McBain

Post by McBain »

I use ArcGIS quite a bit at work, it amazes me everyday with the complexity of the program, and at the same time frustrates me to tears some days!!! lol
It's kinda like the Photoshop for mapmaking/spatial analysis in terms of the amount of buttons and options and customization that the program offers.
USGS is a great source for data, and ESRI's website is a great source for FAQ's, and modules to "plug" into the program. Have fun, but don't say I didn't warn ya!!! LOL
-The children are right to laugh at you Ralph, these things couldn't cut butter-
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

I work with someone who's an expert in GIS in general and has her Doctorate in a related field. If you have any questions I'm sure I could ask her.
"Always keep an edge on your knife son, because a good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life."
dedguy.net
araneae

Post by araneae »

I took a GIS class as part of my graduate coursework, but my Prof was biased toward ERDAS stuff. We did a bit with Arc though. Lots of cool stuff can be done with GIS if you have the time to play with it. I would recommend looking for a used text book on ebay. It should help you along a bit. Good luck.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
EarthDog

Post by EarthDog »

I use it every day at work. I had a couple of days of introductory training, but mostly I've just learned by playing with it. It is a great tool.
EarthDog
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

it's nice, and encouraging, to see that plenty of people have managed to use ArcGIS independent of classes... it's fairly complex stuff, but i'm picking it up bit-by-bit. i've got it up and running... still acquiring different data layers, creating some layers of my own, developing a symbology compliant with the state's symbology for oil spill response... we work in a pretty huge, complex area (with over 1,000 islands!), and it's extremely great to now have in-house map-making capacity... should be a big step forward.

i think it'll help to get our various equipment inventories organized geo-spatially... as well as info on our first responders. heck -- i feel like everything gets easier to understand when you synch databases with a map... :D :D :D