Indirect Buying/Selling on the Forums

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
clovisc

Indirect Buying/Selling on the Forums

Post by clovisc »

I feel bad bringing this complaint up, but I feel like someone needs to step up and do it.

I've seen a disturbing increase of late in the number of "indirect" solicitations, sales, trades, etc. on the forums here. I don't want to point the finger at anyone specific... just at some behaviour which I think isn't acceptable, or fair. I've seen new and old members alike engaging in it.

We've been told this is not a place for commerce, and have been asked not to buy, sell, or trade on these forums. As far as I know, these rules still stand. There are plenty of other forums for that. Yet still, people decide to violate the rules, with posts like:

"I heard a rumour a blue lum is going to be going up on ebay soon..."

or

"Where do I find a [RARE KNIFE THAT YOU WILL OBVIOUSLY HAVE TO LOOK FOR ON EBAY AND BLADE FORUMS -- DUH]"

or "gee, I wish I could trade my X for a Y..."

Then what happens is, someone writes back "check your PM" -- clearly... a business transaction taking place.

I feel like this is really disrespectful towards Spyderco, Kristi, and those of us with the integrity to play by the rules and conduct our business elsewhere.

If you're intent on breaking the rules here, at least keep it in the PM, so we don't all have to read about your rulebreaking... this contributes to other people doing the same thing, and in the long run, to a change in atmosphere on the forums... not for the better, IMHO. :mad:

I enjoy the spyderco forums because I can read peoples' thoughts on knives without having to sort through "FOR SALE" or "NEED A _____" junk. I'm a little tired of some of these "indirect" threads that keep popping up. :( :mad:

Anyone else feel the same way?
Spyderwings

Post by Spyderwings »

I'm going to have to agree with you on this one clovisc. I have been noticing it a lot lately too, and am not to keen on it. This is the reason there are dedicated forums elsewhere such as on BF or knifebst. I must admit, at first I thought it would be great if we could buy and sell here, but now I realize that it would really change the environment of this forum for the worse.

Just my thoughts.
- Jason Dalsgaard
Current Spyders > C81GPBK Para-Military > C14SBK Rescue 93mm > C11P Delica 4 > FB05P Temperance > C29S Cricket > C14OR Full Sized Rescue > C90CF Stretch II > C12SBK Matriarch (VG-10)
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

yep it's out of hand imho :mad:
while I would be appreciative of "free leads".....all one has to do is PM that individual (who's hunting that knife) without posting it publicly in threads....
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
Th232

Post by Th232 »

Agreed. I'm personally fine with a small "looking for: xyz" in your sig line, but honestly, I feel that people are ignoring the spirit of the rule, and in some cases the letter. Heck, it even says in the rules:

• Do not post or transmit any unsolicited advertising, promotional materials, or any other forms of solicitation in Spyderco Forum. This includes the trading and selling of knives or other goods.

I thought that's what Vincent's knifeBST was for as well, some people wanted to buy, sell and trade, so he made a place where people could do it.
Will

"No one wants to look the fool. Everyone does the best they can. If they knew better, they'd do better" - old woman on the railway tracks to Sal.

clovisc

Post by clovisc »

vincent's knifeBST.com is a good place for spyderco forumites to conduct business... if they'd care to. also, bladeforums has a huge audience. most of the members here use both forums.

maybe forumites are trying to "help" one another find the hard-to-find spydies they're craving. if so, just do it in PM without telling anyone... and "help" the forum be a positive place.
Detdaddy

Post by Detdaddy »

I've noticed it, too, clovisc. And I agree. The pathetic attempts at being "sneaky" are, in my opinion, a slap in the face to Sal. Thanks for stepping up. Maybe it'll cut down on it, at least for a while.
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote.

Tolerance is the virtue of a man without conviction.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Yep, I'm with you bro.

I just recently said "I just bought my UKPK from Catamount". Hopefully this is not what you mean. He's a forumite and an authorized Spyderco Dealer so I don't feel that this is any different than mentioning New Graham or some other place.

I have seen the goofy threads that you speak off though, and I just ignore them.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

the other post i've seen more recently... which i sometimes suspect might be a sale in disguise -- is what i call the "antiques road show."

"hi, i just got a great deal on a [whatever disco'd spydie] -- is this knife valueable? how much is it worth?"

it's always either "worth" the MSRP, the street price, whatever you paid for it, or whatever one goes for on ebay... you decide. :rolleyes:
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Concur with Clovisc as well. What I've really enjoyed about the Spyderco forums is being able to do a search for information on particular knives to learn more about them, and not get a bunch of threads popping up that talk about (or hint at) buying this or selling that to wade through. Let's keep things "solicitation free" around here.
Tank

Post by Tank »

I'm with ya on this Clovisc. Thanks for bringing up this thread.
-John
quattrokid73

Post by quattrokid73 »

While I agree that there aught to be no B/S/T on this forum, I would like to know what you think is wrong with people asking where they can find discontinued spyderco models. Obviously, personal solicitations aught to be kept on other forums.

Thank you, Adam
http://www.coroflot.com/aham73

:spyder: Orange Millie, UKPK Orange, DP UKPK, FRN UKPK Maroon DP, Urban Wharnie, Chokwe, Zulu, Mini Persian G-10, Spin Etched, Leafstorm, Caly Jr Gray, Sage 3, Lum CF

Every machine is the spiritualization of an organism.
aj1985

Post by aj1985 »

I really should have searched before i posted my thread. I apologize in making another thread.

I also apologize if I have given people information regarding discontinued Spyderco products which should not have been given out.

I just want to make it clear that I'm not selling on this forum and I just provide people with store location or websites where I have purchased from in the past and that have been very good.
aj
Live in every breath

INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
bluemist

Post by bluemist »

The signal to noise ratio is really low over on BF but I somewhat agree.. as a wise women once told me on an old newsgroup "give it a measure". I think that goes for both sides of this argument. There are some genuine exchanges of information that will inevitably lead to transactions that I consider perfectly innocent. I guess that's not what you meant by "getting out of hand".
spyder spyder spyder spyder
aj1985

Post by aj1985 »

Please disregard
Live in every breath

INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

i'm not trying to be a jerk, or step on anyone's toes or anything... i think it's just something everyone should stay aware of. i guess bringing it up now and discussing it as a group will stop things from getting too, too out of hand.

usually, when something like this happens, i'd like to think its because:

1) it's someone new, who doesn't realize there are rules.
2) it's a forumite with an innocent question that gets interpreted the wrong way.

in either case, all it usually takes is a little note to set things right.

not too long ago, someone brought up the fact that as this community is rather 'self-moderating,' more "experienced" forumites should step in more often with gentle reminders of the rules.

we should probably be a bit more vigilant -- but still, welcoming as always -- to preserve the excellent mood of this forum!!!

signature line "looking for this and that" info -- i feel like this also changes the mood. i don't know if it's "right" or "wrong" according to the rules -- but i know i wouldn't feel comfortable doing something like that...

i guess there's a lot of room for interpretation. although, there's plenty to talk about with spydies, so... why waste time interpreting and looking for ways around the rules?????
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

quattrokid73 wrote:While I agree that there aught to be no B/S/T on this forum, I would like to know what you think is wrong with people asking where they can find discontinued spyderco models. Obviously, personal solicitations aught to be kept on other forums.

Thank you, Adam
i know your intent was probably not to invite someone to sell you a spydie... maybe you could understand, though, how a "where can i find this?" post may be inviting a sale? and how threads like this, in combination, add to an atmosphere of commerce, and increase or invite B/S/T posts?

i agree with you in part, and recognize that there's some grey area. but lately, i've just seen too many examples of "how can i get this???" threads turning into a business transaction.

with google, ebay, bladeforums, knifebst.com, your chances of finding a discontinued spydie are as good as anyone else's -- and about as good as they get. :)
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

aj1985 wrote:I really should have searched before i posted my thread. I apologize in making another thread.

I also apologize if I have given people information regarding discontinued Spyderco products which should not have been given out.

I just want to make it clear that I'm not selling on this forum and I just provide people with store location or websites where I have purchased from in the past and that have been very good.
aj
don't worry, aj. i think that much of the time, it's an innocent mistake. there's lots of grey area... IMHO the less people explore the grey, the better the quality of our experience here.
quattrokid73

Post by quattrokid73 »

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. I actually wasn't looking for a private sale. I just figured somewhere in the world there was an online store with a Lil' Temp still for sale. Should have clarified.

I agree that B/S/T can easily add a lot of negativity to a forum.

The other forum i frequent is http://www.runryder.com

it's an RC helicopter forum with an active "off topic" and "B/S/T" section. unfortunately, these two sections have created an unimaginable amount of animosity between forumites. although i love the forum and it's members, i don't like that aspect one bit. it's just pretty necessary to have the B/S/T in RC.
http://www.coroflot.com/aham73

:spyder: Orange Millie, UKPK Orange, DP UKPK, FRN UKPK Maroon DP, Urban Wharnie, Chokwe, Zulu, Mini Persian G-10, Spin Etched, Leafstorm, Caly Jr Gray, Sage 3, Lum CF

Every machine is the spiritualization of an organism.
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

well i agree that Looking for XYZ knife threads are getting out of hand and annoying. i was a firm believer in the mini "looking for "in peoples signatures but i can see how that is skirting the bylaws of the forum so mine is gone.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
stoneman

Post by stoneman »

I personally don't see the problem with having a wishlist in anyones signature. If someone PM's someone else for anything, it's nobody's business but theirs. Last I checked it still stood for private message. As long as there aren't any outright "i will sell this " or "who wants to buy that" posts cluttering the forum, there should not be a problem. As far as those preaching against solicitation and recommending other sites (knifebst, etc.) in the same breath, aren't you soliciting for other websites? I'm all for respecting this forum and the rules applied to it I just don't think we should nit-pick or decide for ourselves to add things we think should be added. If someone at spyderco had a problem with the signature situation I'm sure it would have been addressed long ago. To me, it seems a polite way to let your fellow forumites know you are interested in a certain model or two without cluttering up the forums. If someone should send you a pm nudging you in the right direction, so be it, if not that's fine too. Politics and religion are also forbidden topics, should we round up the pitch forks and go after those who quote scripture in their signature?

We should not be hypocritical, as knife owners we're always complaining about our rights to freedom and post almost weekly about stricter knife/weapon laws and our distain for those who would encroach on our freedoms. An obvious disregard for the rules should be penalized/dealt with discreetly but do we really want to push for stricter more confining rules?
-Steph
-"How many of those spyder thingies do you really need? "-my girlfriend-
_ SERENITY NOW!!!!!- Frank Costanza