Well it may not be spring quite yet...

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
The Deacon

Well it may not be spring quite yet...

Post by The Deacon »

...but it's time to "spring ahead". Too darn soon if you ask me, but Daylight Savings Time has begun, at least here on the East Coast. So if your computer clock seems to be off by an hour this morning, it probably ain't a virus. ;)
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Cuttingedge

Nice site

Post by Cuttingedge »

Hi There, Thanx for the screensaver, I like the kiwi CF very much!!
:D :spyder: Ben
Lockback

Post by Lockback »

The Deacon wrote:Too darn soon if you ask me...
Amen, Deacon! DST weekend is my least favorite time of the year.

The older I get, the longer it takes me to adapt to it, even though it's just an hour.
mrappraisit

Post by mrappraisit »

I guess I'm spoiled living in AZ. The last time I flew to Fort Worth to visit relatives I missed a flight because I didn't realize that Sunday was the DST change day. It seems like it would totally mess up your schedule, especially if you're not a morning person.
After enlightenment, the laundry.
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

I like having more light in the afternoon but I wish they would just pick one or the other and keep it there.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I'm sorry, but there is no extra light. That is set by the rotation of the Earth, and nothing the idiot politicians say can change it. No amount of clock changing can alter it. If they want to play a few extra holes after work, they can go in earlier and leave my clocks out of it. I hate driving to work in the dark.

I've never figured out how you can make a blanket longer by cutting a foot off one end and sewing it on to the other end. I suppose we save energy by running our lights in the morning getting ready for work instead of waiting for the sun to come up so we can see.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

yablanowitz wrote:I'm sorry, but there is no extra light. That is set by the rotation of the Earth, and nothing the idiot politicians say can change it. No amount of clock changing can alter it. If they want to play a few extra holes after work, they can go in earlier and leave my clocks out of it. I hate driving to work in the dark.

I've never figured out how you can make a blanket longer by cutting a foot off one end and sewing it on to the other end. I suppose we save energy by running our lights in the morning getting ready for work instead of waiting for the sun to come up so we can see.
No extra light in total except for the daylight being more in summer and taking an hour of morning light and moving it to afternoon.It does give me time to do more at home when I get off.All winter if I got off on time I might have had 1 hour of light left.I guess it keeps companies from having to change work times,that would be the same effect as changing the time.Its not as bad as it used to be because more and more jobs are not dependent on daylight like they used to be.I have always heard that it was started to give employers an extra hour of daylight work time.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

yablanowitz wrote: I suppose we save energy by running our lights in the morning getting ready for work instead of waiting for the sun to come up so we can see.
when the goverment first came out with this it didn't make any sense to me how it would save money...well the other day i found this...i emailed it (clicked and pasted, found on the yahoo headlines) to my wife so i dont remember the link to it but i was right...lol...it doesn't happen to often so let me gloat for a second or two :p .

It's official: Daylight Saving Time is a bust. Designed (and recently extended) as a measure to save energy in a period of inflated electricity prices, an in-depth University of California study has now shown that DST doesn't save anyone any money at all. In fact, it's costing consumers extra, to the tune of $3.19 in extra utility bills per year.
The study was made possible because of the peculiarities of the state of Indiana, which was only partially on DST until 2006. When the whole state finally went DST (to sync with the national business day), some comparisons vs. the prior method were made apparent. The study calculated that the shift costs Indiana residents an extra $8.6 million in electricity bills in total.

Why? Shouldn't they be, well, saving daylight -- and burning fewer light bulbs?

They are, said the study. But while lighting bills were reduced, air-conditioning units had to run more often, because people were home on hot afternoons when they'd otherwise be still at the office. Heaters had to be run on cool mornings, too, when people got up and it was still dark outside.

Professor Matthew Kotchen, who pioneered the study, noted, "I've never had a paper with such a clear and unambiguous finding as this."

This isn't the first time the energy-saving rationale of Daylight Saving Time has been attacked. The first was in 1976, three years after DST went into effect, when the National Bureau of Standards found that there was no significant energy savings after the switch. The recent expansion of DST to a few extra weeks was also revealed to have saved no energy during its run. And yet here we are...

In related news, it was also revealed that Daylight Saving Time actually creates no additional daylight
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

J Smith wrote:No extra light in total except for the daylight being more in summer and taking an hour of morning light and moving it to afternoon.It does give me time to do more at home when I get off.All winter if I got off on time I might have had 1 hour of light left.I guess it keeps companies from having to change work times,that would be the same effect as changing the time.Its not as bad as it used to be because more and more jobs are not dependent on daylight like they used to be.I have always heard that it was started to give employers an extra hour of daylight work time.
In the winter, I drive to work in the dark and drive home in the dark. Having DST all year wouldn't change that, and I live far enough west that I actually should be in the Mountain Time Zone instead of Central. Every spring and fall, there is a period of a couple of weeks when my morning drive puts me facing east with the rising sun right next to the stoplight controling my drive to work. Thanks to DST, there are four such periods, because the change makes me go through the ordeal a second time each spring and each fall. Find another route? As soon as someone builds another overpass to get over the railroad, I will. It only took a hundred years to get the first one built. That only leaves ninety more years until the next one.

Personally, I hate the fact that it doesn't get dark until 10 P.M. in the summer here. It really makes it tough to get to bed at a reasonable time.
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

I hadn't thought about that.
It gets dark here very late after the change.I live right on the edge of the Central time zone.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

I love yablanowitz' thoughts on this issue and I agree with them 100%.

-Jay
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
tap

Post by tap »

People have been fudging with the clocks longer than we have had clocks. See the wiki. Overall, I am in favor of it.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Thanks Paul. It was this thread that made me remember to do it. :)

On another note.... I really think DST is crap. I don't find it to be beneficial in any way and I don't think it does any good. I wish we would just leave the freaking clocks alone all year long.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Bringing this dead horse back for one more beating. This is why I hate the time change. Too bad the cell phone camera blacks out the sun, but I think you get the general idea.
Attachments
03-27-08_0753.jpg
03-27-08_0753.jpg (77.94 KiB) Viewed 1282 times
03-26-08_0754.jpg
03-26-08_0754.jpg (72.96 KiB) Viewed 1278 times
03-25-08_0756.jpg
03-25-08_0756.jpg (67.98 KiB) Viewed 1290 times
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

yab,

Dude I hear ya. That really does suck. I noticed that almost the next day of the stupid time change. Sitting at a light thinking...."wow this is great".
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

Daylight Savings time is annoying. There is nothing that I can do with this perceived extra hour of daylight that I can not do if it was dark.

Jay
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

I bloody hate the change, specialy when I have to start in the morning shift the monday after.
All your knifelinks, http://www.knifelinksportal.com
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I don't know. When I was a kid, DST gave an extra hour of outdoor time on school nights. When I was a homeowner, it gave me more opportunitys to mow the lawn, which was kind of nice those years when it seemed to rain every summer weekend. Now, as an apartment dweller, I could care less one way or the other. Don't think starting it earlier made any sense at all. Think it might make more sense to keep it like this year round rather than switching back and forth.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Th232

Post by Th232 »

Well, down here our beloved government decided to see how it would work having us switch off DST (southern hemisphere, remember?) a week later. Of course, all the computers, Blackberries and other such electronic devices switched last week when they were programmed to, so they all had to be manually reset to the correct time, and changed yet again today, when we had our actual turnover.
Will

"No one wants to look the fool. Everyone does the best they can. If they knew better, they'd do better" - old woman on the railway tracks to Sal.

vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

ah, the joy of living in saskatchewan... never changing your clocks over for DST :p
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.