What Do You Consider A Comfortable Amount Knives For Edc?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
MANIXWORLD

What Do You Consider A Comfortable Amount Knives For Edc?

Post by MANIXWORLD »

Ok,depends also entirely on usage of knives,but sometimes for aestetic reasons,you would carry that extra blade,with sentimental value.
For me,its how the mood catches me,but one serrated or atleast a combo edge would find itself in my edc rotation.
the amount of knives i carry,usually 3 and a SAK,with multitool capabilities.
Rather,an extra knife,than a pocketsharpener,if for some reason you are caught with a blade,thats not sharp enough for the task at hand,which should never happen. I guess there still has to be space for a cell,stick of chewing gum,keys,small flashlight etc.too,but atleast one knife,even if you're not a knifeknut.
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: I'm trying to carry fewer. Two front pocket defense knives. subclaw as a moneyclip. pe ladybug on keychain. :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
Agent Starling

EDC vs. knife pulchritude...

Post by Agent Starling »

sentimental or not, if I'm carrying to protect myself, i will carry the appropriate knife...and then as an afterthought or just for fun come the extras for sentiment or what have you. :spyder:

...but that's just me. :D

Agent Starling :cool:
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I'm quite comfortable with a number between "avoid deep water" and "the suspenders will no longer hold up my belt" :D
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
Agent Starling

random numbers...

Post by Agent Starling »

oh, as far as numbers go?...I guess it depends on your mode of dress at the time, whether you'll be sky-diving or just going for a country stroll ;) ...I'm being facetious, don't mind me...I believe that only yab or Dr. Snubnose have established the definitive "greatest number of knives ever carried by a human"...me, I only carry 3 or more... :D

Agent Starling
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
MANIXWORLD

Post by MANIXWORLD »

I have found that,soon as i need a knife to cut open a packet or clamshell package,il be thinking,which one of the atleast 3 or 4 knives,are going to suit the task best or first.
yeah,i do have a knife for every specific task at hand,defensive purpose,foodslicing,ropecutting etc.,which also explains,why you CAN carry more than just one knife.
After all Spydies are so COOL,you simply can't help to carry atleast 2 or more.
dialex

Post by dialex »

I try to carry just one knife at a time. Carying one knife is socially acceptable here, carying more raises too many eyebrows. :o
However, there is always the FFG SE Delica in my backpack, as a backup. :)
Oh, and I guess the Ladybug on the keychain doesn't count, so I won't even mention it here... ;)
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
stonyman

Post by stonyman »

Usually 3 to 4 on average. Minimal is sd folder, utility folder and neck knife. Add a fix into the mix and that is usually the fourth. Numbers sometime vary, nothing approaching the good Doc Snubnose! :D
Blackhair

Post by Blackhair »

My current carry is just two knives: a PE Caly3, and an SE Tasman. To be honest, they really seem to be all I need.

...now, my planned carry is going to amount to 6 knives. I have reasons for all of them (a few, admittedly, somewhat contrived), but my "official" reason is so that I'll have a knife no matter where I reach (you never know what weird way your arm might be pinned).

Maybe I'm a little knife-crazy right now since I'm still just starting out on my journey, but time will tell. ;)
Back from an extended hiatus.
Billy

Post by Billy »

MANIXWORLD wrote:I have found that,soon as i need a knife to cut open a packet or clamshell package,il be thinking,which one of the atleast 3 or 4 knives,are going to suit the task best or first.
yeah,i do have a knife for every specific task at hand,defensive purpose,foodslicing,ropecutting etc.,which also explains,why you CAN carry more than just one knife.
After all Spydies are so COOL,you simply can't help to carry atleast 2 or more.
Pretty much my thinking too. I always have at least two, but most often 3-4. Have never done more than that though (yet).
I prefer to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.
I LOVE MY MILLIES
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
butch

Post by butch »

3 most any day you would see me but when testing i might have 4 or 5 on

right now it would be one of my neckers in 3v with a non std. heat treat (testign)
str mod kershaw flipper
and my beloved cricket as SD knife IWB
Lloyd R Harner III (Butch)
a step forward
working my way to a licence to drill
http://www.harnerknives.com
JBE

Post by JBE »

I usually get by quite nicely with just one large folder, i.e. Military or Endura.

Occasionally, I'll throw in a second, smaller blade - Meerkat, Salt I, etc.

Two is my max for "comfort" level.
Jason
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

Usually two. Whichever folder or small fixed blade has found its way into EDC rotation and a Victorinox "Tinker" for some use near NKP, but mostly for the Phillips-head screwdriver. I've read that, under extreme duress, we fight the way we train, so I don't carry knives for defense. Though, should a mugger attack me and see me quickly bring forth my knife to open his mail, cut up some veggies, carve a face into a gourd, and whittle just to make shavings or a very crude "ball in a box," he might run away.
"I knew you before you knew you had hands!" ~Tracey Brogan

"Ah-ha! A Spyderco moment!" ~Michael Cook

"Hawkbills - Sink in the tip and let it rip!" ~Axlis

"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers which can't be questioned" ~Richard Feynman
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

when i read the title of the thread, i thought you were talking in the edc rotation..maybe up to 10 in mine. for carrying at one time...it is one on my off days (sometimes none if i forget :o ) on duty 2, one in my rfp and one hanging on my turnout gear. thats it.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
MAT888

Post by MAT888 »

On the job mostly 3: 1 small one for not upsetting sheeple.
1 +/- 3 3.5 inch one PE
1 Ce/ Pe backup for extra rough materials (planning a Se one for this)

Off duty.2 Caly 3 vg10/pe
One CLB depends on that days doings.
Maarten
member of FFG Club

Post by 224477 »

I think this is pretty individual, some of the guys are OK with one, and others dont have the problem with EDCing more than 10.. Everyone has his own limits in this :)
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
anthonyc

Post by anthonyc »

most of the times, its just one
but sometimes, i carry 3. one plain edge, on spyder edge, and a spyder edge cricket for good measure.
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

For me, it's pretty much always one folder and my SAK on my keychain. At work, the SAK and keys go in my locker, while I add a Leatherman. I try to balance need without raising eyebrows.
Spyopera
SFKW sugilite Kiwi
CRK Small Sebenza 31
Far too many sold...:o

Trusting my own experience
foxquads

Two

Post by foxquads »

Victorinox Boy Scout (Adventurer) and a :spyder:
D-2 Mili, or Harpy, or D'Allara, or Police, or Talisman Salt, or :spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
...Some days I get a headache trying to decide which :spyder:
:eek:
Louis
bh49

Post by bh49 »

three at work,
two after work, sometimes three
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian