Another computer question

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
tonydahose

Another computer question

Post by tonydahose »

:confused: sorry for bugging you again guys...but i want to upgradethe ram in my laptop...will this http://shop1.outpost.com/product/5481529 work in my laptop? this is the response i got from Acer when i inquired about upgrading the ram.

The Aspire 5315 is upgradeable to 2GB of DDR2 667MHz memory using two SODIMM modules with dual-channel support. Acer has not tested a 2GB memory module in this system. Also, Acer has not tested the hardware in this system with 4 GB of memory. We can tell you which memory was tested and qualified to work in this computer. However, we are unable to tell you if third party memory will work or not. The brands that are compatible are Infineon, Nanya, Micron and Samsung. If the memory you have is compatible it should work. I hope this helps.

Regards,

thanks guys
tony
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
Will V.

Post by Will V. »

Wow, what are you doing that you need 4GB of RAM? I would probably stick with the manufacturer's recommendation of 2GB (2x1GB). But that's just me.

You could always try it, and see if it works, it's not like it's that expensive. Return or sell the RAM if it doesn't work. Watch out for return policies and restocking fees.

You might want to use Google to try to determine if 4GB will work, maybe others have tried it.
"leave shiny footprints"
- Sal
-
Member, International Order of the Spyderedge!
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

i thought it was 2 GB...thats 4?...rrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
My knives
AllenETreat

the nose knows...

Post by AllenETreat »

Tony -

Usually if a system is "compatible" ( i.e. IBM, apple, etc ) this
usually prove's to be the case. I'd go with it.

You lookin' to store a library in there or something?

AET
All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds, awake in the day to find that it was vanity. But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it reality.

T.E. Lawrence
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

my laptop just seems to run a lil slow with vista and only 1gb of ram...everybody says it should have at least 2...so i guess four cant hurt right...more = better?lol..like spydies
My knives
Will V.

Post by Will V. »

tonydahose wrote:i thought it was 2 GB...thats 4?...rrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Oh, I see. I read the Acer response and then looked at the link and thought it was a single 2GB module for sale, and you were going to buy 2 of them. I see now it's 2x1GB modules for sale instead.

The specs on that RAM seem to be correct for your Acer, so I can say with 99% confidence it will work.

I've heard Vista is slow in general (I use Mac myself) and so I don't know whether this will cure your ills. I generally prefer to isolate the actual problem before attempting a solution. Maybe there are Vista features running that you don't actually need, and turning them off can free some RAM? But 2GB of RAM couldn't hurt, anyway, for sure. Might as well do it.
"leave shiny footprints"
- Sal
-
Member, International Order of the Spyderedge!
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

Will V. wrote:Oh, I see. I read the Acer response and then looked at the link and thought it was a single 2GB module for sale, and you were going to buy 2 of them. I see now it's 2x1GB modules for sale instead.

The specs on that RAM seem to be correct for your Acer, so I can say with 99% confidence it will work.

I've heard Vista is slow in general (I use Mac myself) and so I don't know whether this will cure your ills. I generally prefer to isolate the actual problem before attempting a solution. Maybe there are Vista features running that you don't actually need, and turning them off can free some RAM? But 2GB of RAM couldn't hurt, anyway, for sure. Might as well do it.
if i knew what to disable i would...but like the saying goes i know just enough to be dangerous :rolleyes:
My knives
JBE

Post by JBE »

2 will give you plenty. You will probably not notice much improvement - if any - in overall speed with 4.
Jason
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

thanks for the answers guys..ill probably be posting another thread on how to actually replace the RAM once i get it. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
My knives
Agent Starling

Post by Agent Starling »

Will V. wrote:I've heard Vista is slow in general (I use Mac myself) and so I don't know whether this will cure your ills. I generally prefer to isolate the actual problem before attempting a solution. Maybe there are Vista features running that you don't actually need, and turning them off can free some RAM? But 2GB of RAM couldn't hurt, anyway, for sure. Might as well do it.
If I were in your shoes, I'd go for the 4 gigs of RAM and see what happens :eek: ...I'm a Mac user and I've got some kind of weird generic PC RAM (PNY??) in my Apple, in addition to the RAM that it came with, and it runs just fine...

on a related note...just some things that I have found to slow down a Pee Cee that might interest you:

-Norton products - they install all kinds of junk all over the place and slow things down, in my experience
-Apple software on a PC
-not wiping the hard drive clean once a year to do a clean install
-having too many processes running at once (in Task Manager you can see this).

hope that helps! :D

Agent Starling
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
kimjune01

Post by kimjune01 »

Unless you have 64x Vista(or higher), 3 gigs of RAM is the cap for all practical purposes. putting in the extra gig of RAM will only 'fill up' the 3-gig cap.
the newer laptops that claim to have 4 gigs of RAM can only use 3 gigs of it. I mentioned this before in this forum, just can't find the thread. :p