Trepanation?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Fred Sanford

Trepanation?

Post by Fred Sanford »

Have any of you ever heard about this?

A few days ago I heard someone at work talking about it. They saw a special on it. I guess it's the act of drilling a hole in your head for some reason. I guess in past people did it thinking they would release evil spirits etc.

I guess what's weird is that there are people that still do it today thinking that they will gain more knowledge and feel better etc.

I just don't understand it. I mean I would only get it done if it needed to be done to relieve pressure on my brain because I had some sort of head trauma.

Anyone else have any experience with this? Seems weird to me.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
PaloArt

Post by PaloArt »

Of course... I had heard about this long time ago, maybe about eight years of my life... I was very interested in Egyptology and many ancient cultures. Still remember many things. But trepanation is wery curious... it was treatment for ill people and for monks and preists etc for speaking with gods. Thing you can find something on wikipedia... ;)
asfaltpiloot

Post by asfaltpiloot »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trepanation

I also heard or read somewhere that the brains direct exposure to the air / oxygen would cause a naturale high??
PaloArt

Post by PaloArt »

It´s possible... Trepanation is very interesting thing, I could maybe somethin write but my english is very bad and it could be on very long time... wiki is better choice.
zozo

Post by zozo »

I need trepanation like I need a hole in my head.
Gollum

Post by Gollum »

I think Jefferey Dahmer was into it. :D
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

After what I read about it......it seems a bit freaky. I have no idea why anyone would want to drill a hole in their head if they have nothing wrong with them.

:eek:
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Lockback

Post by Lockback »

David Lowry wrote:I have no idea why anyone would want to drill a hole in their head...
Perhaps if it was a Spyderhole... :D
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: http://trepan.com/ :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Michael Cook wrote: :spyder: http://trepan.com/ :spyder:
What is this?

Other than playing music the site doesn't tell anything. :confused:
Michael Cook

to each his own

Post by Michael Cook »

David Lowry wrote: I have no idea why anyone would want to drill a hole in their head if they have nothing wrong with them.

:eek:
:spyder: That can be said for any bod mod; tattooing, piercing,body sculpting, scarification, breast augmentation or any other kinda plastic surgery. The answer is to feel good about themselves. :spyder:

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Michael,

Very good point. I actually wouldn't mind getting a tattoo (and no I don't have one). The other things are just not for me. That doesn't mean that it's wrong....just not for me. ;)
Th232

Post by Th232 »

Heard about it before. Exposing to the elements a very squishy, sensitive area of my anatomy that is essential for life? No thanks.
Will

"No one wants to look the fool. Everyone does the best they can. If they knew better, they'd do better" - old woman on the railway tracks to Sal.

Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

David Lowry wrote:What is this?

Other than playing music the site doesn't tell anything. :confused:
:spyder: Oh, the site's down. These nutjobs are trying to get doctors in England to do medical research on trepanation. The founder and her domestic partner trepanned themselves with cordless drills while high on LSD and since have made all kinds of wonderful crackpot testemonials about the wonders of trepanation. Currently only mad scientist types are doing trepanation and people who do it to themselves so there's no non-insane type data available. Gotta love it. :spyder:

dedguy

Post by dedguy »

There's a manga (comic book) by Hideo Yamamoto (who wrote the manga Ichi the Killer is based on) called Homunculus that deals with the subject.

An ex-businessman who's now homeless is approached by a crazy pierced and tatooed medical student with a proposition. He forces the businessman to undergo trepanation (by essentially stealing his car). After the procedure the businessman, when he covers one eye sees people differently. He sees them manifest as thier deepest flaw.

For example a teenage girl who appears to be made of sand which changes shape depending on who she's around. On closer inspection he realizes to his horror that the sand is not sand at all but social lables. It makes for some very trippy imagery. He ends up going around helping people.

The girl made of words kissing the businessman: http://dedguy.net/images/junk/Hideo-03.jpg
"Always keep an edge on your knife son, because a good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life."
dedguy.net
Kaizen

Post by Kaizen »

If they had any integrity, they would've gotten Sal's permission and paid royalties :mad: :D
Also "Kaizen1" on BF, "ignoramus" on CPF & EDCF. "kaizenrei" on KF, "Kaizen" on USN.
*Cho*

Post by *Cho* »

I've seen them. You can easily tell if someone has had one (when you look at their skull). You can also easily tell if it killed them or not. If there is growth over the hole, then they survived. It is pretty interesting.

Also now a days there is a similar procedure with a much more medical reason. If someones brain is swelling badly and their ICP (intra cranial pressure) is rising and won't stop...you gotta give it room. The last thing you want is someone's brain squishing itself against the skull. So you cut a piece of the skull off and let the brain swell outta that. Once the swelling goes down...you just pop that piece of the skull back in.
Agent Starling

it is with great trepidation...

Post by Agent Starling »

*Cho* wrote:Also now a days there is a similar procedure with a much more medical reason. If someones brain is swelling badly and their ICP (intra cranial pressure) is rising and won't stop...you gotta give it room. The last thing you want is someone's brain squishing itself against the skull. So you cut a piece of the skull off and let the brain swell outta that. Once the swelling goes down...you just pop that piece of the skull back in.
...at least they close it up afterwards!
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Reminds me of the "man with two brains" with his screw top surgery breakthrough.

I saw the documentary on trepanation too. I recall the the woman eating a steak afterward supposedly to help replace proteins, hemoglobin and stimulate blood production to replace what she lost during her procedure.She was obviously having trouble with her elevator reaching the top floor. She was STRANGE.

Does anybody recall a documentary about body modification where this guy that wanted to look like a gangster payed an "artist" to shoot him in the shoulder so the gunshot wounds would give him street cred. They picked out a 38sp +P JHP from a 2 inch barrell snubby for mushrooming effect but not too much damage as, say, a .357 mag would do. They did try to avoid bones.

They had a sympathetic guy from a private ambulance company outside waiting to take him to the hospital after the gunshot would. I recall this would be O.G. broke down and cried like a ***** after he got shot. He paid the shooter 2 or 3 thousand dollars for the "procedure".

It was on HBO about 10 years ago.

Can you say insurance fraud? This was a real documentary. I swear I didn't dream it up.

I know it had to be painfull. I've had two operations on my left shoulder where they got the black & decker drill and dremel out and sawed bone, and routed out and smoothed down my rotator cuff. It was VERY painfull afterward. I need The right one done next, then both knees, then ankle fusion.

I've been advised to get both knees done at the same time as the pain is notorious for causing people to not come back for the second operation. :cool:

If you ever get to see an orthepedic surgeon in action it will remind you more of a carpenter than the stereotype surgery you see on TV. Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

i have seen that documentary...i love seeing the street thugs crying like lil girl scouts when we go to those runs...i have also seen them with an exit hole the size of a golf ball out the back of their head, standing and talking when we got there...and i quote "my head hurts", needless to say he died a little bit later. good luck with your knee replacement joe...hope all goes well.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D