shopping for a watch

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
clovisc

shopping for a watch

Post by clovisc »

okay -- i need a watch -- again. the skagen i had inexplicably broke (face shattered when i wasn't even wearing it -- no idea how!!!)... and the cheap temporarily solutions have also bit the dust. i've been relying on my cell phone to tell the time, and am getting sick of it.

here's my criteria:

-- under $100
-- waterproof and built for daily wear, including outdoors...
-- rugged, rugged, rugged
-- but as cool and swanky looking as possible
-- and preferably not "sporty" or digital-looking... i'd prefer something classic, and classy. (but i'm poor, and a cheapskate!)

any suggestions would be most welcome... :)

thanks!!!
SeanH

Post by SeanH »

All that and under $100? Dude.

You may find what you're looking for in the Casio line...
http://www.casio.com/products/Timepiece/

Other than that, garage sales.
>>The Spyderco Forum Cookbook ... and its thread<<

Think about what you believe, but don't believe everything you think.

"We feel that to "charge as much as the market will bear" is "to bite the hand that feeds you"."
Sal Glesser
JBE

Post by JBE »

Maybe a SS analog G-shock? Seems to fit your bill but I'm afraid it may exceed your $100 budget.

Gshock

Also take a look at Marathon. Careful shopping may yield you one within your budget and you can always update the band to something dressier.

Marathon
Jason
mrappraisit

Post by mrappraisit »

No specific model to tell you about, but I have had a Citizen Nighthawk my wife gave me for three years now. Always running, and looks good to boot. I wear it everyday and have even snorkeled with it on in Maui. i highly recommend the Citizen watches.
After enlightenment, the laundry.
Tank

Post by Tank »

The best all time inexpensive watch I have ever worn and still do (on occasion)is a Timex expedtion. They have several varieties. The term takes a lickin and keeps on ticken stands true. I have worn it scuba diving to 120' with no issue and had it as high as 9000' and again no problem. All that in a watch that I think I spent $45.
Now for day to day I wear a Citizen ecodrive dive watch. But its a bit over your price range. It to has been a great watch.
-John
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

Under 100.00 the best way to go would be Casio.Stick with the models that are closer to 100.00.
If you can go more get a Marathon TSAR or a SS Luminox.I am wearing a TSAR right now and it has got to be one of the toughest watches I have ever seen.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
SoCal Operator

Post by SoCal Operator »

Seiko and Invicta make classy, durable watches in that price range.
Ask me where I got my awesome SUPERHAWK!

More like Mid-Cal now

Be Prepared
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

i'm not a big fan of digital watches, or sporty-looking watches... i prefer sleek, older, euro-ish designs. after lots of hunting on ebay, i'm thinking invicta might be up my alley... anyone else have any experience with an invicta?
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

clovisc wrote:i'm not a big fan of digital watches, or sporty-looking watches... i prefer sleek, older, euro-ish designs. after lots of hunting on ebay, i'm thinking invicta might be up my alley... anyone else have any experience with an invicta?
I have had a couple of them and they seemed to be a good watch.I know the price on them is much higher than a year or so ago.The ones I had were very thick for a quartz watch with a cyclopes on the crystal,I hate a cyclopes but they can be removed.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
JBE

Post by JBE »

I'm wearing an Invicta Automatic Diver right now. Really nice watch but I haven't had it long enough to comment about it's long-term durability. One other watch I did own that lasted me quite a long time was a stainless steel Wenger Swiss Army watch.

Wenger

Invicta
Jason
dete

Post by dete »

do you like Fossil? :cool:
eric1975

Post by eric1975 »

if you can spend alittle more buy a luminox they are a great watch
s201

Post by s201 »

Seiko 5 will probably be in your price range, and the Black Monster really worth its value.

Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

I wear mostly Seiko's and Bulova's. I don't have a GShock but I do want one.

I would say for around $100 I would get a GShock. If you can spend around $150 or $170 I would get an Orange Monster by Seiko.

I just like the "Monster's" by Seiko.
http://www.amazon.com/Seiko-Orange-Mons ... 68-0084416
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
SoCal Operator

Post by SoCal Operator »

I am getting myself an inexpenisve Invicta sometime after christmas, so I can tell you what I think about it. I did some research before choosing, and didn't find any negative words about Invicta. My watch for the last year has been a Wenger, and it is fantastic. I think this particular one is out of your price range (out of mine, too. It was a gift), but if you can find a Wenger you like, I'd say go for it.
Ask me where I got my awesome SUPERHAWK!

More like Mid-Cal now

Be Prepared
ducktapehero

Post by ducktapehero »

Tank wrote:The best all time inexpensive watch I have ever worn and still do (on occasion)is a Timex expedtion. They have several varieties. The term takes a lickin and keeps on ticken stands true.
I gotta second this. I've got 2 and they're great.

One of them my 2 year old played with for several months because it was one of his favorite toys. Part of me hoped he would break it so Daddy could buy a new watch. ;) And you know how destructive 2 year olds can be. It seems they can break crap that grunts in the military can't break. (and I'm allowed to say "grunt" because I were one, Infantry Us Army 1990-1993) I finally got it back and although the lens is scratched it still works great. And no, I never got a new watch. :( Although X-mas is coming. Truthfully I'm hoping for another Timex Expedition. I'd like one with a compass.
PaloArt

Post by PaloArt »

And what about Wenger??? Swiss watch of high quality for good price... Some classical are about 100 dolars... Realy good.
Jurphaas

Post by Jurphaas »

Hi Clovisc - Go Casio!
Jurphaas :)
Clipits Work!
* WTC # 0107 *
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

I have a Wenger Swiss Army (Battalion Diver's Watch) that I purchased for $75 at Sam's Club, and it's been excellent.

Two other suggestions:
Casio G-Shock. I have two, and have beat the **** out of them with no adverse effects. I swear by these. The Frogman I have is over your $100 budget (but I still have to recommend it). For the money, I don't think G-Shocks, in general, can be beaten.

Also check out Freestyle brand watches. They look cool and I've had one for the past few years that's given outstanding service and still looks great. It's the Hammerhead model. I love it.
Referee in the Bowels of ****
Email: ST8PEN01@aol.com
Artwork For Sale

"...We few, we happy few...we band of brothers...For whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare

If you are not willing to stand behind our troops, by all means, please stand in front of them!