Wake up call?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
spydutch

Wake up call?

Post by spydutch »

Greetings you all :)

I think I just received a wake up call :confused: .

For the past 6 years I have been caring less and less about my health. Training less and less to an absolute stop. In the mean time smoking more and drinking more and too much late night fatty snacks. :o

About 2.5 years ago 1 year unemployment....

Never found any real bad consequences of this until last Sunday. Suddenly I started getting sick. Shakening all over, cold followed by hot. I got no more than 2 hours sleep that night.

Tuesday I started getting a bit feverish and could hardly breath. So to the doctor again. She gave me anti biotics and ordered me to let x rays taken from my lungs the next day.

Just a few hours back I got the results from the x rays: I appear to have a rather sturdy pneumonia.

Have to stay away from work at least this week and come back next week after my anti biotics cycle for a check up and a new appointment for x rays.

Soooooo, I think a change of life style is in order :eek:

Cut down waaaay back on my smoking(or stop all together if I can :o ) and my beer. And get a little exercise every now and then.

All this does scare me a bit to be honest :cool:

Just wanted to share this with you all and ask for a little support.

Thanx very much for reading :cool:
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
buferoe

Post by buferoe »

Hoi Arend,

Man that's not good a pneumonia........ :eek:

Do me a favor take those pills nicely and stay indoors and make sure you get well soon.....
Keep us updated and heads up. ;)

kind regards,

Werner
The only good knive is my sharp Spyderco........
Billy

Post by Billy »

Hey Arend. First, best wishes for a speedy recovery. :) Second, sounds like you are already on the right path to making the necessary changes in your life to improve it's quality! Good luck with it and keep motivated! It really is a lifestyle change that will take some serious discipline and getting used to.

Billy
I prefer to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.
I LOVE MY MILLIES
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
AllenETreat

the "call of the wild"...

Post by AllenETreat »

Arend -

Abusing one's body can take it's toll, but take heart! The
body is one miraculous device. After about a year of cutting down
( one doesn't have to stop ;) ) You'll notice the improvement.

AET
All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds, awake in the day to find that it was vanity. But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it reality.

T.E. Lawrence
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

hope you recover quickly...and finish off all those pills, even if you start to feel better. :)
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
giant1

Post by giant1 »

Hi There

Sorry to hear that you are sick and I hope you get better soon.

Sadly we all only have one body and we really need to take care of it. When we are young the body will take lot's of abuse and you will not really notice any problems. However as age starts to creep up on us the body is not so resilient and all the bad habits of the past begin to catch up.

A little exercise and watching what goes in will help a lot.

Get better soon. ;)
:spyder: Collector 118
What goes around, comes around
Jenner 515

Post by Jenner 515 »

Hope you have a speedy recovery.

Sounds like if you are scared its the right type of scared...the type that'll help you make the necessary changes.

Quitting smoking is the right thing to do.

Cutting back on beer...also a good thing. (I said cutting back, not giving up)

Good luck to you. Some of us had our scary wake up call awhile ago and if you need help advice or encouragement...just ask

J
I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

I hope you get well soon Arend.
To **** with smoking anyway, I used to smoke three packs of ''zware'' a week but I don't miss it one bit.
I believe you are stubborn enough to make a change when you want.
All your knifelinks, http://www.knifelinksportal.com
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

I'm sorry to hear that, Arend. I hope you recover very quick! A change in lifestyle needs a strong mind - Where there's a will there's a way. Find your way, Arend ;)

Well, in 2 1/2 years I'm fifty years old and let me tell you that from year to year it took me more time and efforts to be in good health. It's an old story - nobody can burn the candle at both ends. Of course I tried it, but now I pay back for my previous unthoughtfulness :o
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Arend, good thing you got on the antiobiotics when you did. Got to take care of those lungs! If you don't start getting better whithin a few days follow up soon with the doctor. Don't let up. I quit smoking after 17 years, at about a pack or more a day. It was difficult but well worth it. Good luck, sending prayers, Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Best wishes for a speedy recovery Arend. Sorry to hear you got sick, but if it does convince you to quit smoking, at least some good will have come out of it.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
enyong112

Post by enyong112 »

Hope you you recover fast Arend.... :) Goodluck on stopping smoking, I at least get sick every 2-3 months due to smoking, and when I'm sick I always swear to stop, but the problem every time i get well I go back to smoking... I'm not that strong.... be strong mate...
Cool as Ice... Clear like Water...
Th232

Post by Th232 »

Hope it all goes well Arend! Let us know how everything turns out.
Will

"No one wants to look the fool. Everyone does the best they can. If they knew better, they'd do better" - old woman on the railway tracks to Sal.

deeker

Post by deeker »

Sometimes a wake-up call is a good thing... Better now than with something very serious. Hopefully the antibiotics and some rest put this behind you. Best wishes for a speedy recovery and for the will-power to stop, or at least cut down on smoking.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

quitting smoking isn't really about outright "quitting" as much as it is about changing your habits so that you don't do it anymore. it's something you'll have to work at for a while -- but it'll be worth it.

as has been said, human bodies are pretty amazing at making come-backs... just give yourself the chance, and you'll be pleasantly amazed, and glad you made the changes you made.
TheKnifeCollector

Post by TheKnifeCollector »

Oh my dear brother!! I am sorry to hear about your health issues!! Please follow the doctors orders, and get some rest!! Prayers and good healing thoughts to you. Get better soon!!
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
WhyNot

Post by WhyNot »

Arend,
If I had to choose starting point for the recovery process, I would quit smoking. I can tell you from my personal experience that it would not be easy, but it is absolutely doable. It looks like you are motivated enough and this is all you need. Ok, almost... :rolleyes: I would gladly share with you what helped me to quit cold turkey. Just PM me if you are interested.
Good luck to you, man.
WhyNot.
"It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it." Sam Levenson
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Sorry to hear the bad news Arend. I wish you a speedy recovery!
It's tough to change a structural behavior, but it can be done. My recipe is to take small steps and stick to them religiously. Using this method I quit smoking, cut back on beer and stopped using sugar as an additive many years ago.

Good luck!

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 3-11-2024 Instagram
raven

Post by raven »

Hey Arend, My Big Knifebro.....So Sorry to hear of your health issues :( . I've had pneumonia twice when I was in college. It's tough on the entire body Bro. Just take your cycle of antibiotics and listen to what the doctor has to say. I'm glad to hear that you're thinking about quitting smoking :) .......Your Body Will Thank You For It Later Bro. You ask for our SUPPORT... WE'LL BRO, I KNOW YOU HAVE IT. I SUPPORT YOU ALL THE WAY MY FRIEND ;) . Do Take Good Care Of Yourself and Be Safe Always. Give "Lil Spydutch" the usual "High Five" for me and tell him I say "Hey".

God Bless :)

-raven-
ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

Thank you all soooo very much so far :cool: :cool:

Luckily the fever is gone.

Besides that I'm still very tired all the time and cough like crazy sometimes.

But the anitbiotics help. I'm getting a bit better every day. ;)
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p