A New Path

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Jordan

A New Path

Post by Jordan »

I recently decided to join the armed forces. All the preliminary stuff has just been completed, and I ship out to basic early January. I know that many of you have also served, and was hoping to pick your brains for advice. Anything you can tell me would be greatly appreciated, I would like to go in armed with as much information as possible. Thanks in advance for taking the time.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

"I twisted the knife until I heard his heart-strings sing."

- Jim Bowie concerning Maj. Norris Wright
2edgesword

Post by 2edgesword »

Hi Jordan

My military service was over thirty years ago so I don't think I have a lot of advice for you with respect to serving in the military of today.

That said I appreciate your willingness and desire to serve, in spite of all of the negative things that have been said about military service over the last few years.

Stay safe.
Certified Instructor - Martial Blade Concepts

"The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men, and if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice, is it possible an empire can rise without His aid?" Benjamin Franklin
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Do what the people with the stripes & shiny stuff tell you to do. Don't question their orders till after you have completed them. Once completed you may politely inquire into why it needed to be done a certain way. Important to wait until AFTER you have finished whatever it might be so that it may not be construed that you (a lower rank) are questioning their (a commanding rank) orders. They will then answer with one of 3 common responses:

1) "You did it that way because I told you so Soldier, now drop & give me 50!"

2) "You did it that way because it needed to be done that way, as other ways don't work because of <insert why>."

3) "Well how do you think it needs to be done Soldier?" where upon you may offer your way and be told why it may not work or to give it a go next time.

These responses will let you know where you stand in future dealings with these people and you can adjust your military bearing to fit the scenario. Sounds simple, but I lost track of the number of soldiers coming to my unit that goofed up that simple piece of advice.

Get good running shoes, not cross trainers or walking shoes, but true running shoes that are made for your type of feet. Find out whether you have a low, medium, or high arch. Figure out your running gait - neutral, pronate, or supinate. Then get a running shoe that is made for you. A good site to look at on this is roadrunnersports.com, they tell you what the different brand shoes are made for.

The above goes with you needing to be able to run well. The biggest cause of failed Physical Fitness tests and injuries on sick call I saw was from people who had trouble running. Push-ups, Sit-ups, and Pull-ups can be improved a lot easier than run times.

Don't be a Buddy F--ker, or as we said in the Infantry, a Blue Falcon. You may really hate someone, but as a soldier you need to know you can depend on the guy next to you when SHTF.

Lastly, take advantage of any training in your field that you can get. This will help you with promotion and most importantly doing your job well. Also when you get out, this could be something to help you get a job in the civilian world.

Best of luck to you.
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich
MANIXWORLD

Post by MANIXWORLD »

BEST of all that's good and prosperice to you bro.
i also serve in the armed forces-close to 11 years,now.
my advice-always be prepared-always be on time-help your friend,if his not as fit and strong.-believe in something-believe in yourself-HAVE RESPECT for yourself and towards others,and you will prosper.
ps.wear your Spydies with pride,they also have a story to tell.
Raqudu

Post by Raqudu »

I have not served in the armed forces, Jordan, so I do not offer any advice, just a very sincere

[CENTER]Thank You and Godspeed.[/CENTER]
Raqudu :D

Freedom is never a gift. It is the "pearl of great price" in anguish won.
[RIGHT]- The Theological Concept of Freedom[/RIGHT]

"Well, it's a nice soft night so I think I'll go and join me comrades and talk a little treason."
[RIGHT]- Michaleen Flynn (Barry Fitzgerald) in "The Quiet Man"[/RIGHT]
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

i second that. thanks for serving!
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
CopilotATS-55

Post by CopilotATS-55 »

Thank You Jordon for your service. I plan on serving after college. :)
Kyle Decker wasn't here !!! :D :eek:

"Avatar by Dialex
REMEMBER
SFC SHUGART & MSG GORDON

Im still here, just busy being a Senior!!! :D
PNXC

PN
Wrestling

Never Forget 9/11

VMI
10'+3
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: 90% listening, 10% doing. Stay alert stay alive. Read the UCMJ. Complaining will never make you or your fellow soldiers feel better about anything. Learn how to make hospital corners before boot camp. Only Spanish language church service in boot camp serves coffee afterwards ;) :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Howdy all! I haven't been around much lately, many goings on. I recently completed my enlistment and separated from the US Army. The transition stuff (clearing all my gear, dealing with the VA, etc. etc.) is quite time consuming. I decided to bump this VERY old thread because I feel it illustrates in miniature the tremendous amount of support and assistance that this community has provided these past few years. I feel that the good advice, spirited debates, kind words, good jokes, and overwhelming generosity of this group got me through a lot of challenging moments. As I move to the next stage of my life (back to Austin, back to work, and back to school), I just want to say... thank you all very much.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

Donut

Post by Donut »

Thank you for your service.

We are all in debt to you, you keep us safe and allow us to sleep at night. Many places seem to not have that luxury.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
BAL

Post by BAL »

Thank you for your service Jordan. Many may not say it often, but trust me, we
all appreciate it. Happy to hear that you are safe and ready to take the next step.

By the way, if you did get a good pair of running shoes back in 2007\2008 what
did you get.
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

I got a nice pair of Nike's, long since worn out now of course. But, in basic the Army made me pack them away and buy a pair of New Balances, also worn through and thrown away. These days I run in some Nike Lunarflys.
- Theodore Roosevelt