zero tolerance knives vs. spyderco

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
AllenETreat

zero tolerance knives vs. spyderco

Post by AllenETreat »

I've always had a degree of ambiguity about big ticket knives...

http://www.zerotoleranceknives.com

Having seen an ad in that old faithful Armed Forces Journal
( Nov. 2007 ) I pondered what, other than the large price tag, make's
these superior ( as some pundits claim ) as opposed to Spyderco?

I don't have any zero tolerance in my inventory, however I do have
three microtechs ( kestral, vector & amphibian ) and, as far as I'm concerned,
Our troops can fare just as well with the Spyderco Natives sent them rather
than the zero tolerance ones that are often co$t prohibitive.

http://spyderco.com/pix/products/med/C41TN_M.jpg

Any points to be made here?

AET
All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds, awake in the day to find that it was vanity. But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it reality.

T.E. Lawrence
Kaizen

Post by Kaizen »

Some ZT knives might be better for prying because they're so thick, but that's not what I use knives for. If I was a soldier and I had to do any real prying, I wouldn'y be carrying a folder for that job. I prefer Spydies over ZT and I think you'll find at least a slight bias here towards Spydies, but it really comes down to personal preference. If you enjoy flippers, recurves and AO, ZT is superior in those areas. If you want a real slicer, you're better off with Spydies. The rest is personal preference IMHO.
Also "Kaizen1" on BF, "ignoramus" on CPF & EDCF. "kaizenrei" on KF, "Kaizen" on USN.
So-Lo

Post by So-Lo »

I have had a ZT 301 and the 302. They are very well made. They feel great in the hand. Kershaw did a great job. Yes more of a prybar, than a knife. They do cut OK with the OG angle they have. If you bring that edge back to around 17 they would still be very tough, and a lot sharper.

I did sell mine as, they are not for me. I would rather have a drop point SNG anyday of the week. SNGs are very light and thin. They also cut great after break in, and bring down Strider's edge to around 17 or thinner.

And.............then that brings me to the Spydie the Lil' Temp. Fit and Finish is better than a Strider. Opens way smoother than a SNG before they are broke in. Cuts better then the 301/302s, and SNGs.

Get a ZT if you want a super tough beater knife/prybar. And do really mind the weight. Get a SNG if you want a light beater knife. That also cuts great. They are not as thick bladed as people talk about. Also a bit high for the end product you get. But you pay for their warranty also.

Get a Lil' Temp if you can find one. They are lighter than a Mini Manix, they feel better in the hand IMHO. And still come under the price of the 301/302s. Even at the $150-$200 they are pulling these days. I sold a NIB one a month or so ago for $140 on BF. They are out there, its just finding one and pulling the trigger. :cool:

Let us know what you do end up going with. :)
AllenETreat

point of this exercise is...

Post by AllenETreat »

...Spyderco give's one what one require's in a knife, as opposed to
the unrealistic needs ( like a prybar ). Personally, in something like
the infantry ( circa 1983 ) knives were, at best corollary to the profession.

The special forces ( of which I wasn't a part ) had a credo that
your mind is your primary weapon followed by the M-16A1, 1911A1,
M-60 and any other weaponry.

I've always lived by that belief. Use your head first, if you are
carrying a pocketknife ( marginal as a weapon, as I would argue to the cops )
mind your Ps & Qs. That's why I tend towards the cricket or meerkat
( thanks Paul! :D ) the bigger the blade, the more ill your intention(s)
appear to the cops & "sheep".

BTW : want some good streetwise advise? Check out Jerry Van Cook's
articles in Tactical Knives.

AET
All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds, awake in the day to find that it was vanity. But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it reality.

T.E. Lawrence
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

I had a 302,loved it except that it was just a tad to big.
The quality was as close to custom as they come.
As for the price,they sell most places for full retail if Spydercos were not discounted they would be close to the same price.
I have been EDCing a SMF with a thinned edge and as SoLo said they cut great after the beadblast smooths out a bit.
Really you can not compare Spyderco to ZT or Strider as Spyderco does not make a knife anything like them but hears hoping.
I for one would love to see what would come out of a room that had Sal,Chris and Mick locked in it for 2 weeks.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
dialex

Post by dialex »

All of them are good knives. They are different, you can't say one is better than other.
You're asking me what I'd pick? That would be the Lil'T (but my needs are not "tactical").
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

I carried a Emerson CQC-7B while in the Army, backed up by a Spyderco Remote Release. If I wanted to pry on something I used my Gerber or SOG Multi-Tool.

I've handled the ZT knives and they are very well made in terms of fit, finish, and materials used. The only thing that kept me from buying one was that they were too big for my current EDC use, and I'm not a fan of Recurve blades.

One of the things to think about on the Zero Tolerance line is that a portion of the money goes to Paralyzed Veteran's of America. This is why their prices do not deviate from MSRP. Additionally they sell other knives than the 301/302 models that are under $200. Personally my favorite is the M.U.D.D. model.
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

I know many people advocat tiny, thin blades on the premise that knives should only be utilized for slicing things. If that works for them, all the better.

However, I'll throw this out there: A large knife can do the job of a small knife, but a small knife cannot perform the jobs of a larger knife. Ever try to cut & split firewood with a 2.5-inch-bladed knife with a thin blade?

Sometimes, when it hits the fan, you might need to use a knife for things it wasn't made for.
Referee in the Bowels of ****
Email: ST8PEN01@aol.com
Artwork For Sale

"...We few, we happy few...we band of brothers...For whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare

If you are not willing to stand behind our troops, by all means, please stand in front of them!
AllenETreat

how 'bout a bowie?

Post by AllenETreat »

Jimd wrote:I know many people advocat tiny, thin blades on the premise that knives should only be utilized for slicing things. If that works for them, all the better.

However, I'll throw this out there: A large knife can do the job of a small knife, but a small knife cannot perform the jobs of a larger knife. Ever try to cut & split firewood with a 2.5-inch-bladed knife with a thin blade?

Sometimes, when it hits the fan, you might need to use a knife for things it wasn't made for.
JimD -

I'll definately grant that. But I seldom come up against jobs that require
big knives. Here's two of the zero tolerance knives that tickle my funny bone -

http://www.newgraham.com/detail.aspx?ID=7870

and...

http://www.newgraham.com/detail.aspx?ID=7959

One can't, in all feasibility, carry the latter ( a dagger ) as most states
in Our Blessed Union prohibit them :( . Here's my old army buddy -
( third from the top )

http://cutlerscove.com/daggers/gerber-group92006.htm

But they're good for collecting sake :D

I gather the scavenger will soon be on my list.

AET

T.E. Lawrence
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

AllenETreat wrote:JimD -

I'll definately grant that. But I seldom come up against jobs that require
big knives.
AET
That pretty much hits it on the head; many of us have different likes & needs, which promotes various types of knives and styles.

Often, I gravitate toward the heavier knives, just my taste and/or need. Sometimes, though, I like a change, something "different". :)
Artwork For Sale

"...We few, we happy few...we band of brothers...For whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare

If you are not willing to stand behind our troops, by all means, please stand in front of them!
AllenETreat

more bang for the Buck...

Post by AllenETreat »

JimD -

Up this alley I take it -

http://www.1sks.com/images/buck/2004/bu-882bkx.jpg

BTW : do you own any Buck Striders?

AET

T.E. Lawrence
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

AllenETreat wrote:JimD -

Up this alley I take it -

http://www.1sks.com/images/buck/2004/bu-882bkx.jpg

BTW : do you own any Buck Striders?

AET
No Buck Striders. A few actual Striders, though. ;)
AR, GB, SnG (like the Buck/Strider pictured there), and WP. Yeppers, they're right up my alley!

The AR is not only super-tough, but one of the sharpest knives I've ever held. Below is a pic of the AR & GB.
Attachments
AR & GB Comparison - 3.JPG
AR & GB Comparison - 3.JPG (61.72 KiB) Viewed 17011 times
Artwork For Sale

Grey Mullet

Post by Grey Mullet »

Is Zero Tolerance a type of Strider knife?
AllenETreat

taken in stride...

Post by AllenETreat »

Grey Mullet wrote:Is Zero Tolerance a type of Strider knife?
Grey Mullet -

The Strider design ( I take it ) is licensed out to companies outside
of Strider. Buck was but one, ZT the other.

BTW JimD : check your e-mail

AET

T.E. Lawrence
powercut

Post by powercut »

I thought about acquiring a ZT 301/302 but in the end decided otherwise.
Sure they are quality folders, thick and sturdy. But I do not think a Frame lock is the way to go on such a big folder. A manix will cut way better and offers a stronger lock. Now I know the lock on the ZT 301 is beefy but still the weaker lock in comparrison to a lockback, probably that's is why the ZT has a lock stabilizer. Besides I do not think folders are needed to be in the super tough range, that's the fixed blade department. Well to each their own.
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

ZT is owned by Kershaw,the ZT knives are a colab between Ken Onion,Strider and Kershaw.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
glockman99

Post by glockman99 »

You can't REALLY compare Zero Tolerance to Spyderco folders, as ALL of the ZT folders are designed for HARD use. A more fair comparison would be Kershaw to Spyderco.

I carry a ZT 0200 as one of my 2 EDC's (the other is a Kershaw Mini-Cyclone), and that ZT knife gives me the impression that I could pry a car apart or cut my way out of a burning building with it.
Dann Fassnacht
Aberdeen, WA
glockman99@hotmail.com
glockman99@yahoo.com
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

glockman99 wrote:I carry a ZT 0200 as one of my 2 EDC's (the other is a Kershaw Mini-Cyclone), and that ZT knife gives me the impression that I could pry a car apart or cut my way out of a burning building with it.
Whew, that's a relief. Since I've never done either of those thiings, and can't imagine ever feeling the urge to do the first, or the need to do the second, I can avoid carrying butt ugly Frankenfolders with bolts sticking out of their necks. :D
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Will V.

Post by Will V. »

Jimd wrote:A large knife can do the job of a small knife, but a small knife cannot perform the jobs of a larger knife.
With regard to thin v. thick blades, I have to disagree with that. There are many jobs that a thick blade cannot perform at all, or not as well as a thin blade. Of course, the converse is also true.

Bottom line, you need the right tool for the job. If you job is splitting firewood, better use a heavier, thicker blade. If your job is cutting tires, better use a thin blade.
"leave shiny footprints"
- Sal
-
Member, International Order of the Spyderedge!
glockman99

Post by glockman99 »

Will V. wrote:With regard to thin v. thick blades, I have to disagree with that. There are many jobs that a thick blade cannot perform at all, or not as well as a thin blade. Of course, the converse is also true.

Bottom line, you need the right tool for the job. If you job is splitting firewood, better use a heavier, thicker blade. If your job is cutting tires, better use a thin blade.
Exactly! I can't imagine trying to slice a ripe tomato with a Cold Steel Trailmaster Bowie (5/16ths inch thick blade), but I could, with a Spyderco Temperance.
Dann Fassnacht
Aberdeen, WA
glockman99@hotmail.com
glockman99@yahoo.com