Bark River Anyone ?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Manix Guy 2

Bark River Anyone ?

Post by Manix Guy 2 »

While waiting for some new Spydies , I recently picked up a Canadian Special and a Sandstorm from Bark River . Last year I bought a Fox River and a Highlander but in less than a day deer hunting buds just had to have them . They had very good results in field use and will not part with them . I plan to retire my Randalls to give to my grandson Dakota , the Canadian Special may be my choice this deer season . Anyone suggest a sheath maker for a lefty ? Regards MG2
A.P.F.

Post by A.P.F. »

Try Eric at On/Scene Tactical.
TheKnifeCollector

Post by TheKnifeCollector »

I second On/Scene Tactical!! Eric's sheath's ROCK!! He is an awesome guy too!
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Alteran

Post by Alteran »

Bark River knives look great, but some of them worry me because they appear to have the sort of "slippery slope" grip so many dislike on the Centofante 3 and 4. For any owners, is this not a problem? I don't think I've ever seen anyone else mention it. :confused:
rcbalt2

Post by rcbalt2 »

I'm a big fan of the barkies. They are great looking knives. I just recently got a bravo-1 and it has to be one of the best do it all knives I have.
There ain't no rules around here. We're trying to accomplish something.
- Thomas Edison
Manix Guy 2

Post by Manix Guy 2 »

Hello rcbalt2 ! Let me know how you like the Bravo 1 , it is on my list of Bark Rivers . This company is growing on me , friend went to Michigan recently and met Mike Stewart , had a great visit with him . Guess I am getting old , really like the historical , older look of some of their knives . Send me a PM sometime . Regards MG2
SeanH

Post by SeanH »

I can absolutely recommend the Bravo-1 as a large field knife. I have one that I am trying out as part of a pass around and I like almost everything about it.
The handle is generous, even for the large handed. It is secure in the hand and comfortable in most working grips. The blade is beefy and should take any cutting jobs you send its way including batoning. Its spine is wide enough to be comfortable under the thumb. My only complaint for this knife is that the thumb ramp comes to an uncomfortable peak. When the thumb is pressing on the spine in front of the thumb ramp the peak of the ramp presses into the soft spot near the base of my thumb. If I were to buy one I would round the peak off a bit.

I mentioned that the Bravo-1 is a beefy knife. It isn't, in my opinion the perfect field knife for all tasks, if you could only carry one. The blade is a bit to large for fine point control. However if combined with a Mini Skinner or a Mini Canadian that is piggybacked on the Bravo-1's sheath you may have a do-all rig.

You may want to have a look at the North Star. Shorter handle, same blade length but thinner and spear point.
Or A combo of the Aurora and PSK.
>>The Spyderco Forum Cookbook ... and its thread<<

Think about what you believe, but don't believe everything you think.

"We feel that to "charge as much as the market will bear" is "to bite the hand that feeds you"."
Sal Glesser
Alteran

Post by Alteran »

Does anyone have experience with this?

Also, do the sheaths have firesteel pouches, and how does "piggybacking" work? Thanks for any and all advice!
Manix Guy 2

Post by Manix Guy 2 »

Sorry had one but sold it before any use to a buddy , he will not part with it ! Working on some lefty sheaths right now for models I have for in the field . The 2 I sold to friends are very happy with what they have for deer hunting .
SeanH

Post by SeanH »

Alteran wrote:Does anyone have experience with this?

Also, do the sheaths have fire steel pouches, and how does "piggybacking" work? Thanks for any and all advice!
North Star's and Aurora's come with fire steel loops and it is an option on others.

I haven't tried the Lite Hunter.

Piggybacking, in this case, is when you attach a small knife sheath to a larger knife sheath so you have both of them at the ready. BRKT tries to make its current production sheaths so the rivet holes of the smaller sheaths line up with the rivet holes of the larger ones so they can be bolted together with Chicago screws.
>>The Spyderco Forum Cookbook ... and its thread<<

Think about what you believe, but don't believe everything you think.

"We feel that to "charge as much as the market will bear" is "to bite the hand that feeds you"."
Sal Glesser