Canadian Customs Seized Items

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
The CoPilot

Canadian Customs Seized Items

Post by The CoPilot »

I've frequently read posts on here from our Canadian friends expressing their concern that Canadian Customs officials will seize incoming Spyderco knives at the border. Does anyone know what becomes off all the knives that end up being seized as "illegal". Does Customs have an obligation to destroy them? Does the government auction them off as surplus property? Do some end up "disappearing"? ;)
><> The most important blood trail leads to the Cross <><
C09 CoPilots My Specialty
Integrity is Being Good Even if No One is WatchingTM
Looking for: C04 Executive plain edge, C09 CoPilot plain edge with brass liners and a G-2 marked blade
A.P.F.

Post by A.P.F. »

They are destroyed as prohibited weapons. :( :mad:
jimbo@stn24

Post by jimbo@stn24 »

Percival wrote:They are destroyed as prohibited weapons. :( :mad:
That's my hope and understanding, however if you poke around in the CBSA (Canada Border Services Agency) website you will find that they may also be "disposed of according to the station managers discretion", or something to that effect. Found it once and not sure if I could do it again.
WTC #1455
Spyderwings

Post by Spyderwings »

From my experience of having knives confiscated at canadian customs you get a letter in the mail.
It says what has been taken, and gives you 3 options: They destroy it, send it back to the original sender, or you can make an appeal and go to court.

This is even the same letter i got when i got a bali confiscated, but we wont go there...
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Similar deal with the Customs here in Australia :(
The law is so grey in faact that on some occasions (LOL most occasions) the customs officers even classify stuff as illegal when it clearly is NOT illegal according to the prohibited weapons/ items act.
Letter telling you that you have imported an illegal item....3 choices:
1) Write back to them saying.... "Yes please, I am sorry, destroy my Spyker ASAP !!!"
2) Write back.... "I think you guys have got it wrong, I am contesting this, please take me to court and I shall pay all my legal fees, your legal fees and possibly end up in prison for some length of time ! "
3) Write back ..... "I have a permit for those illegal 'weapons' you have seized, please release them immediately into my custody"

Customs officers seem to be a power unto themselves when it comes to managing what is or isn't illegal. Seemingly contradicting their own black and white documentation. This is the reason I won't risk importing a P'Kal, Shabaria, Military, Chinook or Civilian :( I want them all, but sadly I cannot rely on their safe journey to their rightful owner (me :) )

I'm not too sure of Canadian knife laws, but it looks like very similar to all other Commonwealth nations.... so sad, so sad. Knives are tools....and so are customs !!! :p

Cheers
Dan
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
Th232

Post by Th232 »

Hey Daniel, don't we also have the ability to ask them to send it back to the sender at our cost? Actually, now that I think about it, we probably don't. :(
Will

"No one wants to look the fool. Everyone does the best they can. If they knew better, they'd do better" - old woman on the railway tracks to Sal.

ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Th232 wrote:Hey Daniel, don't we also have the ability to ask them to send it back to the sender at our cost? Actually, now that I think about it, we probably don't. :(
Yes we do...but they don't say that in the first letter. They are hopeless actually. Revenue raising buggers and god-complexes the lot of them :mad: All they are interested in is to grab your collectible knife and use them to open up all their parcels (I bet they know which knife is the best for package opening!)

Dan
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Those same knives can be bought in country at canadian knife stores so it's trade protectionism rather than a anti knife issue IMO. Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
Spyderwings

Post by Spyderwings »

Thats what i find ridiculous. Most knives that get confiscated can be bought in Canada, and yet customs still deems them illegal. And whats with the lack of free trade. We get something mailed to us from the states and it cost us.
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

I don't know what you choose to call it, but from my one experience, I now try to buy from within Canada. If I'm unable to find a certain model, I make sure it's a knife that can be tightened or I'll send it to an address in a border town in the States(Calais, Maine) and pick it up myself. I now know of two Stateside businesses in Calais that will receive packages c/o the person being shipped to and charge a minor fee to accept the package. This isn't just for knives, as I've seen tires, rims, kayaking gear, and just about anything else at one of the warehouses. Wish I thought of that business :D .
deeker

Post by deeker »

Spydies are nice because the hole can be zip-tied closed. Customs agents are not permitted to cut the zip-tie - or tamper with any object. A knife-with-a-hole should be good to go from there.

If the knife has an adjustable pivot, ask your e-retailer to tighten it previous to shipping out. NGK has done this for me.

Just about everything Spyderco sells (minus the balis, etc.) is available to us north of the border, so Customs confiscating it is a bit of a double standard.

I don't know what to suggest if you are concerned about your new purchase being confiscated, other than look for your knife of choice in your own country... as has already been suggested.
markg

Post by markg »

Spyderwings wrote:Thats what i find ridiculous. Most knives that get confiscated can be bought in Canada, and yet customs still deems them illegal. And whats with the lack of free trade. We get something mailed to us from the states and it cost us.
In many ways, the same here... Witness the recent events where US Customs now considers Bali's "switchblades."