"Crawford Cutter"

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
dedguy

"Crawford Cutter"

Post by dedguy »

Anyone have any experience with this knife? No idea who manufactures it. All I know is that it's designed by Pat Crawford I found it Moore Cutlery's site and haven't found it anywhere else. Just ordered one, figured for $30 what do I have to loose. I love the looks of it and it appears to be a slip-joint or friction folder which I'm very much down for these days.

"Always keep an edge on your knife son, because a good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life."
dedguy.net
lycanthought

Post by lycanthought »

I've got one of these - the blade is good, however, there is a lot of handle for the blade length and the ergos are not up to much. Fit and finish was also a bit lacking, especially on the chamfer around the hole. compact, flat and sharp, but I haven't used it much on account of the ergos.
Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray »

I'm a Pat Crawford fan too ... $30 is pizza money these days. :p I think you're gonna like that knife.
Steve
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

It looks like it would suffer the same major shortcoming as my old Mercator. The thin edges of the folded sheetmetal handle cut into my fingers when slicing anything tougher than a banana. I changed from the original Leatherman tool to the Wave for the same reason. Maybe I'm just a wimp :D
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Any idea what steel the blade is made of? Is it Aus8A? Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

No idea, the site didn't say. Like I said I bought it more for it's look than anything else. If it happens to be a good knife too, bonus!
"Always keep an edge on your knife son, because a good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life."
dedguy.net
KWG

It's 440B

Post by KWG »

The blade is made of 440B, but I don't know the manufacturer. Here's Pat Crawford's page for this knife:

http://www.crawfordknives.com/key_chain_cutter.htm

I just acquired one from a local knife dealer, and it is pretty cool. The handle has sharp edges and it's not really a one-hand opener despite the hole - there's not much material on this knife, just a folded sheet of steel, a blade and a hollow pin, so no slick flicking action. That said, for twenty five dollars, it's got a well-ground, refined blade with a great edge and a needle tip, and it feels very solid in the hand. It would make a great travel kitchen knife, an excellent glove box knife, a good toolbox knife for when a razor blade is too wide or too crude, and a good piece of folding silverware.

It does have its drawbacks, but as a collector of friction folders it fills a need for me. I can carry it, put it to work and trust it, use it up and buy another without worrying about mucking up an artist's efforts. It's kind of like a very flat all-stainless Opinel No.6 without the lock.