shaving with a straight razor?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
aero_student

shaving with a straight razor?

Post by aero_student »

I was wondering if any of you shave with a straight razor.

I was thinking about giving it a try. I've heard it's a superior shave to that of a normal razor and I also like the idea of not having to give the big brand razor companies oodles of money for razors that i throw away; it's a wasteful concept and drives my inner knife knut crazy.
Th232

Post by Th232 »

Yeah, I shave with one that uses a disposable blade, some day I should really get my sharpening skills up to scratch and buy a proper one. It's fairly good for beginners ($25 for mine), rather than fork out a whole lot of money only to find you don't like it.

Go try it, just don't do it when you're in a hurry...
Will

"No one wants to look the fool. Everyone does the best they can. If they knew better, they'd do better" - old woman on the railway tracks to Sal.

silverback

Post by silverback »

I do, and recommend it. The shave is very close, keeps longer than with a disposable razor.
Don't worry about sharpening, it's easy. (see my reply in the "closer look" thread: http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29298 )
Indeed, using a straight razor is environmentally sound, but more important: pretty soon the investment pays off, and it's fun. :)
Few people think more than two or three times a year; I have made an international reputation for myself by thinking once or twice a week. -George Bernard Shaw

Go is a pursuit of such value that one can devote a lifetime to it and have nothing to regret. Why not, then, challenge the limit of your powers. -Toshiro Kageyama 7-Dan
Tom v S

Post by Tom v S »

I have been using a Straight razor for over a half year now. I got a very old one, but after sharpening that thing it works really well. Try to find a used old one, they don't cost a thing. I now have 3 and have spend less then 25dollar in total.
Also, if you decide to buy a new one, make sure it's carbon steel. The carbon ones get sharper, and are easier to sharpen.

Read this before you buy one, it's considered the bible of Straight razors :D
http://www.shavemyface.com/downloads/Th ... -Shave.pdf

Hope this helps. Tom
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

I dop for the hard to get places on my face that a safety razor just doesn't get,
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

Yep -- I use straight razors. i really enjoy it too. Seemed like a natural extension of my knife obsession when I started. Now I have quite a few of razors, hones, and strops to play with. :D
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
zeus

Post by zeus »

I have around thirty vintage straight razors, some I have reconditioned or repaired. Most I have used to shave with, but there are differences in the razors for different applications. My grandfather was a barber back in Canton, Ohio in the 1940s and I was able to get half a dozen of his straight razors and a few hones and strops.
When I have a lot of time to shave, I'll use a straight razor. Mostly I use old double edge razors with a badger brush and shaving mug when getting ready for work.

Straight razors also work great for removing skin tags/growths and callouses.