Art by me thread.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
mrappraisit

Post by mrappraisit »

I like the last version, the text on top is easiest to read. Thats my vote.
After enlightenment, the laundry.
naggalowmo

Post by naggalowmo »

Really awesome work there!
If you were to make posters of your "Spooky Dicks" I would be the first one in line. ;)
"There's always something waiting at the end of the road. If you're not willing to see what it is, you probably shouldn't be out there in the first place."
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

It looks like Squid Love probably won't be printed. I didn't expect it to but you can always hope.

http://www.threadless.com/submission/154662/Squid_Love/

A little better than 2.0 isn't high enough to be considered I don't think.
"Always keep an edge on your knife son, because a good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life."
dedguy.net
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

Getting there, obviously still have some work to do on the detailing. I like her expression, I actually changed the expresson on the shirt design to be more similar to her here. I was hoping to have the whole thing done by Tuesday but it looks like it may be closer to Friday.
"Always keep an edge on your knife son, because a good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life."
dedguy.net
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

So I think this may be my final submission.

dedguy.net
mrappraisit

Post by mrappraisit »

dedguy - I think it looks great, especially on Berry Much ;)
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

Thanks!

Odd I thought I had posted this in here.

I recently got hired to do a poster/flyer for a small production... I want to say in LA? I could be wrong on the location. In any event I was supplied a brief and some publicity stills. Basically was asked to do a sort of "Archie" style comic cover but with a slightly darker edge (thus the use of cool colors over the normal warm).

The play is to be called "The 302B: A Night in the Life of a Quarter-Aged Wino". The dead grey space at the top is for the title text, similar to old Archie comics. I may also do a small illustration to go in the top like this:

So I first supplied a layout sketch for approval.

Then a more detailed sketch:

Then I moved into Illustrator.

Got a little sidetracked doing halftones which I wouldn't place in until it was finished... as they display like crap at low res.

I reworked the body of the guy in the foreground a lot. I was real unhappy with it, he was far too stiff and awkward. I wanted a bit of that to give it the old comic book look but he was looking way too stiff.
dedguy.net
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

i love the "dark archie" concept... i ended up finding a huge stack of archie comics when i was in africa, and... for lack of other reading materials... actually read them. not very funny, not very amusing... this would have been very much more up my alley... :D

the other strange comic i encountered in africa was "condorito" -- you might dig it. i like the colors... the old oranges and browns they used to use... they have stuff online... :D
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

Final poster:

Made a lot of changes thanks to some good C&C from people over at tagmonkey.org.

dedguy.net
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

great job dedguy.....love the lightsabers and wine :cool:
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

beautiful, man -- i love it!!!!

when do we get to see some birds...? ;)
mrappraisit

Post by mrappraisit »

I like it dedguy. I can visualize these characters debating wether the Sith like Merlot or Cabernet :) Also the furnishings you put in the room remind me of my college apartment :o :D
quattrokid73

Post by quattrokid73 »

I finally got some better pictures of my work.

Teapot sculpture

Laser gun

Samsung phone render. The top slider is my render, the bottom slider is original.

Hope you enjoy!
http://www.coroflot.com/aham73

:spyder: Orange Millie, UKPK Orange, DP UKPK, FRN UKPK Maroon DP, Urban Wharnie, Chokwe, Zulu, Mini Persian G-10, Spin Etched, Leafstorm, Caly Jr Gray, Sage 3, Lum CF

Every machine is the spiritualization of an organism.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

good stuff, quattro!!! :D
Senate

Post by Senate »

it's great to see all the steps of each drawing Dedguy, i wish spyderco would do the same :)
keep them coming.
Alexandre.
-------------------------------------------------
Spyderco WTC#1978
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

quattrokid73: I LOVE that teapot, does it actually fucntion? Also is it a teapot (for brewing tea in) or tea kettle (for heating water in). Either way it's great. Being an avid tea drinker I love some pretty teapots.

What is the phone rendering done in? Please tell me it's a 3d render and not done in AI. If it's done in AI I feel like such a dope posting the AI renders I do as they are nowhere near that quality.
dedguy.net
quattrokid73

Post by quattrokid73 »

thanks Dedguy. the teapot is not functional. it's basically a form prototype: solid resin. the laser gun is made with 10lb modeling foam, and the Samsung phone is done in Photoshop CS3. I learn Rhino and Alias next year.

right now I'm making a fiberglass prototype for an Apple Hifi type speaker system. it will look fully functional, but i doubt i'll take the time to stuff speakers in it. since it's fiberglass, it's hollow and i can fill it with things.
http://www.coroflot.com/aham73

:spyder: Orange Millie, UKPK Orange, DP UKPK, FRN UKPK Maroon DP, Urban Wharnie, Chokwe, Zulu, Mini Persian G-10, Spin Etched, Leafstorm, Caly Jr Gray, Sage 3, Lum CF

Every machine is the spiritualization of an organism.
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

Nice, so I assume you're in design school? I find PS increasingly frustrating to work in these days. The destructive nature of most of the tools and the whole resolution issue really bug me. I'm such an AI person now, I could never do something like that phone in PS. I'd do it with vector paths and gradient meshs in AI.
dedguy.net