Art by me thread.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
snuffaluff

Post by snuffaluff »

ded, what's the name of your comic? Will it be for sale on the market? Privately?
EarthDog

Post by EarthDog »

dedguy wrote:Awhile back for work I created a "Scientist's Notebook" as part of an Elementary school learning module created for Florida public schools.

I have a copy of it hosted locally on my server:
http://dedguy.net/images/junk/teacher/s ... index.html

...Image
ded,

I checked out your "Scientist's Notebook." Love it. I'm a hydrogeologist in Florida and work on hazardous waste site cleanup also.

Keep up the good work.
EarthDog
dialex

Post by dialex »

Cool thanks for sharing. Please do continue.
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

snuffaluff wrote:ded, what's the name of your comic? Will it be for sale on the market? Privately?
It's going to be available for free on he web f I ever do it. I'm planning a series of short stories first all about side characters under the "Stories of The Great Tree" moniker. The first story I have planned is called "Synx". The problem is I work 40-50 hours a week, have a 2 hour commute and on the weekends help my parents so I don't have a lot f free time to work on it.

Everyone else, thanks for the comments.
"Always keep an edge on your knife son, because a good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life."
dedguy.net
snuffaluff

Post by snuffaluff »

dedguy wrote:It's going to be available for free on he web f I ever do it. I'm planning a series of short stories first all about side characters under the "Stories of The Great Tree" moniker. The first story I have planned is called "Synx". The problem is I work 40-50 hours a week, have a 2 hour commute and on the weekends help my parents so I don't have a lot f free time to work on it.

Everyone else, thanks for the comments.
Well, I understand working a lot... who isn't nowadays... I wish you the time it takes to get-r-done! :D Great work and keep us updated, I'd love to get a copy when it's done.
PaloArt

Post by PaloArt »

Hey man... that´s great thread. And tribute to all with some art talent. Wow. If I could draw like you guys.
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

Well it's not so much talent... I mean talent is important and I won't deny I don't have some natural talent but a lot of it is training and education. It's like anything else in life. I'd be a terrible roughneck because I have never been on an oil rig in my life and have no training in it. Doesn't mean I couldn't learn though. Some artists seem to like to convince people it's some some sort of magic that allows them to do what they do, it's not really the case if you ask me.
"Always keep an edge on your knife son, because a good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life."
dedguy.net
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

A sketch for a t-shirt design idea I'm thinking about submitting to threadless.

For those who can't make out my random scribbles it's meant to be a giant squid hugging a fisherman who's in-turn hugging it back. Sort of wanted to turn the whole giant sea monster thing on it's head. I also just felt like doing something "cute".
dedguy.net
markg

Post by markg »

Great stuff.

I am amazed at people who can draw... I admire it so much, to think how your brain can see and put the image on paper is totally alien to me.

I can mess up a stick man... :(
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

Thanks, I know that feeling all too well. A good example is direction. Even something as simple as right and left takes great effort for me to understand. I have to take a few moments to think about right and left before I can think of which is which. The cardinal directions are a complete mystery to me. You can tell me which way north is and then I will know what west, east, and south are... at least until I move a foot to the left and turn 35º to the right. Then I'm lost again.

I actually love doing stick men though.

Did this for a friend who's also kind of my boss as a sort of political cartoon to go with a paper he was writing on modern literacies and how they contrast with what teachers in schools think.

dedguy.net
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

cool stuff dedguy, thanks for sharing your work w/us ;) :cool:
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
dete

Post by dete »

hey ded guy, your artwork seems to me to have a lot of inspiration from comic books, if so which ones are you into?
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

My three favorite artists are Sam Kieth, Ashley Wood, and Jamie Hewlett. I get a lot of inspiration from them.
dedguy.net
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

Still a WIP obviously. Not going to be grayscale like this, I just normally work in grayscale first as colors really screw with my head when trying to put together a piece.

I really hope this wins at Threadless as I'd love to see it as a shirt and since it's going to be at least 4 colors there's no way I could get it printed myself. The suckers on the tentacles are driving me mad. So tedious. I have most of the rest laid out on a separate layer (not pictured). I am so sick of drawing circles.

dedguy.net
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

that's a hungry squid dedguy :p i never was much into calamari....unless it was for bait on a hook :D
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
dete

Post by dete »

cool
Tank girl rocks! ;)
quattrokid73

Post by quattrokid73 »

This is my first car sketch at design school. i'll be rendering it in photoshop this semester. also, this is the V1 file. the most recent one has some perspective issues corrected.

The idea is what Noble would make if it became a full scale company. FSI V8 power.

http://www.coroflot.com/aham73

:spyder: Orange Millie, UKPK Orange, DP UKPK, FRN UKPK Maroon DP, Urban Wharnie, Chokwe, Zulu, Mini Persian G-10, Spin Etched, Leafstorm, Caly Jr Gray, Sage 3, Lum CF

Every machine is the spiritualization of an organism.
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

Do yourself a favor and bring it over into Illustrator and learn the program. It may be harder at first but in the end it will be so much easier. Doing vector shapes in PS is a real pain.
dedguy.net
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

Update: Image

Getting there... just been working on it a little bit at a time after work. Hopefully this weekend it will be done.
dedguy.net
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

Okay... so working with some colors now. I need to get it down to 6 colors (counting the shirt color which will be the baby blue of the background).

Right now it's 8... I don't know what else to cut.

This is the reason I gave up on the Spooky Dicks shirt... (http://dedguy.net/images/art/2007/spook ... yout-3.png) I couldn't reduce the colors enough.

Also, did some more work on the second Scientist's Notebook I'm doing.

dedguy.net