favorite horror movie?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
dete

favorite horror movie?

Post by dete »

Doesn't have to be scary.

I like
House of 1000 Corpses
Hellraiser 2
spyderdog

Post by spyderdog »

most recently..............Hostel
JBE

Post by JBE »

I'm not a big horror movie fan, but the other night I did catch the remake of The Hills Have Eyes...Wasn't really a "scary" movie, but was...for lack of a better word...vile. :eek:
Jason
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Not much into horror movies myself. :)
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Chucula

Post by Chucula »

I really liked zombie movies until I saw 28 weeks later. That movie has probably scarred me for life. :mad:

I still like zombie movies though :D My two favorite are 28 Days Later and Dawn of the Dead (original). I also have Dead Alive but I havent watched it yet. Supposed to be very cheesy.

I am not really into monster or alien movies. I like to think I could "win" when I watch horror movies (which is probably why i hated 28 weeks later).
I am also not into hyper realistic gore. :r
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: Cannibal holocaust was the most upsetting and offensive.

Land behind the sun was the most outraging.

In a glass cage was the most psychologically numbing.

Zombie has the best splatter gag(9 inch splinter in the eye).

Carpenter's the Thing has the only gag that makes me flinch every time (jumping blood)

Henry: portrait of a serial killer was the most truly frightening the more I thought about it.

I can't bring myself to watch Asian bug barfing or kidnapping/dissection films (such as the guinea pig series of films out of Japan) but they are truly horrifying. :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
silverback

Post by silverback »

"28 days later", "The Shining", "Angel Heart" and "Alien" for starters.
"The Haunting" from 1963 has a special place in my heart as one of the atmospherically densest and truly frightening movies, and a good story too!

Doesn't have to be scary? Then I'll add "Young Frankenstein" and "Dance of the Vampires", of course. :p

It would be hard to choose one favourite movie, and I'm sure I left some truly great ones out, but consider these to be among my top 10.

Uh-oh, I was looking forward to "28 weeks later" - what was so bad about it, Chucula? Do I have to lower my expectations a lot? :confused:
Few people think more than two or three times a year; I have made an international reputation for myself by thinking once or twice a week. -George Bernard Shaw

Go is a pursuit of such value that one can devote a lifetime to it and have nothing to regret. Why not, then, challenge the limit of your powers. -Toshiro Kageyama 7-Dan
Firefighter880

Post by Firefighter880 »

There was one that came out awhile back called "The Descent" that I really liked. Another good one called "Dog Soldiers." "28 Days Later" is always a winner. Kinda liked "Silent Hill" too. Heck, there are way too many to name.
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

[CENTER]"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear." [/CENTER]

Current Spyders: Civilian, Matriarch, Endura 3 CE, Endura 4 CE, Endura 4 SE, SS Endura 4 SE, Lava, Manix CE

Spyders of the Past: ATR, BlackHawk, Bob Lum Tanto, Chinook 3, Dodo, Gunting, Karambit, Lil Temp, Manix PE, Para Mili, Ronin, Yojimbo, Mili, Native
KSDbass

Post by KSDbass »

Did anyone see those 8 films that Liongate put out that were "too scary" for theaters? I saw "The Gravedancers" and oh my God I almost died. I didn't believe it was that scary, but it's a thousand times scarier than hostel. Also, the website is borderline not safe for work, so just watchout.
Darkness Falls was probably my favorite in theater horror movie.

edit: The Liongate films are called the After Dark Horror Fest, if anyone's interested.
Custom avatar courtesy of Dialex!

Bill Brasky could destroy Chuck Norris.

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

For me it's the original 1931 version of DRACULA. The closeups of Bella Lugosi's eyes as he looked over the top of his Caped arm is Terrorfying!!!!
That was one of the first "horror" movies my parents allowed me to watch when I was a kid. I saw it probably for the first time about 1958. While there is no Gore in it, and really nothing scary in general, the Direction, and music orchestration is Awesome, at leat IMO.
It reminds me of the production of the original HALLOWEEN.....really nothing that scary, but the Direction and Production is what made the movie....btw, the Original HALLOWEEN is my 2nd favorite.

Regards Sonny
Fender Strat...the Guitar that put the Rock in Rock&Roll
Raqudu

Post by Raqudu »

"Abbot & Costello meet Frankenstein" - it's got Abbot & Costello and Frankenstein, of course, but also Bela Lugosi as Dracula, Lon Chaney Jr. as the Wolfman, and a cameo by the Invisible Man. Who could ask for anything more?
Raqudu :D

Freedom is never a gift. It is the "pearl of great price" in anguish won.
[RIGHT]- The Theological Concept of Freedom[/RIGHT]

"Well, it's a nice soft night so I think I'll go and join me comrades and talk a little treason."
[RIGHT]- Michaleen Flynn (Barry Fitzgerald) in "The Quiet Man"[/RIGHT]
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

Raqudu wrote:"Abbot & Costello meet Frankenstein" - it's got Abbot & Costello and Frankenstein, of course, but also Bela Lugosi as Dracula, Lon Chaney Jr. as the Wolfman, and a cameo by the Invisible Man. Who could ask for anything more?
Yeah, that's a Great/Funny movie, I saw it at the Theatre when it came out. Now that really shows my age :D

Regards Sonny
silverback

Post by silverback »

Reading about Bela Lugosi and Dracula reminds me:

In Murnau's "Nosferatu, Symphony of Terror" from 1922, Max Schreck must be the scariest vampire ever. It's black&white, silent and absolutely captivating. :D

Also check out the hommage "Shadow of the Vampire" with John Malkovich and Willem Dafoe, it's brilliant!
Few people think more than two or three times a year; I have made an international reputation for myself by thinking once or twice a week. -George Bernard Shaw

Go is a pursuit of such value that one can devote a lifetime to it and have nothing to regret. Why not, then, challenge the limit of your powers. -Toshiro Kageyama 7-Dan
untamed

Post by untamed »

When I was a kid, John Carpenter's "Prince of Darkness" (the dream scene with the phantom-like, waving, shadowy figure on the door? Yikes!)

The last "true" horror film that really managed to bug me was the original Japanese version of "The Ring" ("Ringu" in Japanese). Weird and original.

Then again, it takes courage to watch any of these -

http://www.activevideos.com/instructors ... immons.htm
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

When I was a kid, I watched the old black and white Night of the Living Dead. I don't think I've ever been the same. At the very least, I have since then spent a substantial amount of time considering how to react to zombie attack. :p

Currently, my favorite horror flick is probably Hitchcock's Rope. Or, if you don't mind stretching the definition of the word movie a bit... the episode of Showtime's Masters of Horror series entitled Incident On and Off a Mountain Road. It is directed by the same guy who directed all the Phantasm movies and it is pretty frightening.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

"I twisted the knife until I heard his heart-strings sing."

- Jim Bowie concerning Maj. Norris Wright
Axlis

Post by Axlis »

Evil Dead 2, no doubt about it.
CopilotATS-55

Post by CopilotATS-55 »

28 days later, thumbs in the eyes :eek:
that scene freaked me out alot
Kyle Decker wasn't here !!! :D :eek:

"Avatar by Dialex
REMEMBER
SFC SHUGART & MSG GORDON

Im still here, just busy being a Senior!!! :D
PNXC

PN
Wrestling

Never Forget 9/11

VMI
10'+3
Hannibal Lecter

Hmmm...

Post by Hannibal Lecter »

My Dear Friends,

Not really much the fan of horror anymore - of course, my definition of horror is probably quite a bit different from most. :D

I findly recall a movie from late childhood - "Gargoyles" (1972) that I have always remembered. I really need to round up a copy and watch it again. Low-budget and a bit corny, but still dear to my heart.

--------
Hannibal
---------------------

"I have followed with enthusiasm the course of your disgrace and public shaming. My own never bothered me except for the inconvenience of being incarcerated, but you may lack perspective."
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

Hannibal Lecter wrote:My Dear Friends,

Not really much the fan of horror anymore - of course, my definition of horror is probably quite a bit different from most. :D

I findly recall a movie from late childhood - "Gargoyles" (1972) that I have always remembered. I really need to round up a copy and watch it again. Low-budget and a bit corny, but still dear to my heart.

--------
Hannibal
In the early 60's when I was about 10-11 my parents would let me go to the movies on Friday or Saturday night, and I saw a movie that had a Gargoyle in it. It was really a strange movie. I don't really remember the premise of the movie, but I remember people would be out walking, or their car might have broken down, and they would hear a "bubbling" sound, and when they turned around there would be a bubbling cloud in the sky and a Gargoyle would swoop down on them! It was a black and white movie, as most low budget movies were back then. That movie scared the heck out of me! It's a wonder I made it home, every noise I heard I turned and looked over my shoulder......I ran almost the entire way home :D
I can't for the life of me remember the name of it.
Regards Sonny
dete

Post by dete »

I really like the diversity of replies here, thanx for posting,

one thing I like to mention though is
Dracula is not a true horror movie to me.

Dracula to me has been a romantic tragedy much like
Shakespear's work....