To The MBC/SD Crowd - Knife Selection

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Hannibal Lecter

To The MBC/SD Crowd - Knife Selection

Post by Hannibal Lecter »

My Dear Friends,

Being that I carry a knife primarily as a self-defense tool, I thought it might make for some interesting discussion as to what it is, in your opinion, that makes a knife suitable or unsuitable for MBC/SD purposes.

Any knife that I carry, even for mundane cutting chores, must be at least marginally effective as a self-defense knife; that is rule #1 governing the knives that I carry. Even the diminutive Spyderco Cricket works as a last-ditch effort SD knife. Would I rather have a Yojimbo in this situation? Certainly! However, any port in a storm, my friends...

What follows are some personal thoughts about the kind of knives I prefer for MBC/SD carry. Please bear in mind that these work for me personally (and again, I do not expect anyone to necessarily agree with me, nor am I trying to change anyone's mind about their own personal preferences).

Blade length? Initially I prefer, almost require, my SD knives have at minimum a 3 inch blade length, though I prefer 3.5 inches as my ideal (the maximum length that can be legally carried concealed in my jurisdiction). I will carry a longer blade openly from time to time but really prefer not to, even though it is perfectly legal to do so.

Grip scale material? I prefer G-10 - I will take FRN as I must, but I shy away from anything stainless for SD purposes. Carbon fiber and micarta are OK, but I would not normally purposely choose them.

The locking mechanism? I prefer the Spyderco Compression Lock, but a Spyderco Ball Lock will also do nicely. A framelock is OK, but I really don't like a linerlock or backlock if I can prevent it (though as stated these are not completely set in stone, as I carry a Waved Endura or Delica 4 periodically).

Tip-up or tip-down? Depends on the model. Waved models carry tip-up for obvious reasons.

Steel preference? None. Sorry folks, but this is the least of my concerns when selecting an SD carry knife. Any decent steel is sufficient, as I plan to sharpen the knife to a ridiculously razor edge and then carry it a lot but cut nothing with it except in a dire emergency. As it has been mentioned on the forums before, anyone requiring serious edge retention on a defensive blade is probably living a very rough life.

Blade grind? I really could not care less. I greatly prefer the aesthetic appeal of a flat ground blade, but hollow grind, chisel grind, and most others are fine also.

Blade shape? I have classically preferred hawkbilled blades, but since returning to Kung Fu have changed my opinions a bit. I still like a bit of a curve (similar to the P’Kal) but nothing quite so severe as the Harpy. In fact, the P’Kal has the most ideal blade design I can imagine for the way my Martial Art utilizes a self-defense knife.

Weight? Within reason, the lighter the better. I did not always feel this way, having carried a cocked-and-locked full-sized 1911-style handgun for years to counter my natural port list. After carrying a Glock for a time, I determined that lighter was better in a lot of instances. This is another reason I am not a fan of stainless handles for all-day carry.

This should hit the high spots of why I carry what I do, though I am quite convinced that there are criteria I have accidentally missed (and quite a few I have missed purposefully).

So, my friends, what are your personal criteria for choosing a defensive blade?

--------
Hannibal
---------------------

"I have followed with enthusiasm the course of your disgrace and public shaming. My own never bothered me except for the inconvenience of being incarcerated, but you may lack perspective."
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

I no longer carry a blade exclusively for SD purposes; all mine are used for utility/self-defense interchangeably. With that said, I always keep all of them at optimal sharpness.

I love canvas micarta, it's my favorite, but G-10 (which everyone seems to use these days) is a close second.

Blade shape: I most often prefer either drop-point/spear point (best for all-around utility) or tantos.

I prefer tip-up carry, it's what I'm most used to.

Blade grind - does not matter. Flat-grind seems to make the most sense, but hollow-grind is good, too.

Locking mechanisms - I have 'em all. My Spydies are the only ones that are lock-back, though. Everything else is either liner lock or frame lock.

Weight- makes no difference to me. Light is nice to carry, but often not as tough-as-nails, as I prefer. My heavier knives are built like tanks, and I'll take the extra weight trade-off in stride.

I like my self-defense knives to be quick to deploy, and this is a major consideration for me. I carry my fastest-deploying knives in my right-front pocket because that's most likely where I'll reach if I have to defend my life or my family's.

Most often, the knife riding in my right/front pocket is my Emerson CQC-8 or Super-7. Why? Because they're very quick to deploy and their blade lengths are such that they'll be effective in getting an attacker off of me.

Often, I'll carry a small fixed-blade on my right hip. Strength and ease of deployments are what I'm after here; a fixed-blade needs to opening steps to deploy it.

I carry my other, more utility-oriented knives in other pockets.
Referee in the Bowels of ****
Email: ST8PEN01@aol.com
Artwork For Sale

"...We few, we happy few...we band of brothers...For whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare

If you are not willing to stand behind our troops, by all means, please stand in front of them!
CopilotATS-55

Post by CopilotATS-55 »

Im with Jim, but since im 16 i cant really carry a knife with self defense as its main purpose :)
Kyle Decker wasn't here !!! :D :eek:

"Avatar by Dialex
REMEMBER
SFC SHUGART & MSG GORDON

Im still here, just busy being a Senior!!! :D
PNXC

PN
Wrestling

Never Forget 9/11

VMI
10'+3
Spydiman

Post by Spydiman »

CopilotATS-55 wrote:Im with Jim, but since im 16 i cant really carry a knife with self defense as its main purpose :)
Or, rather, you can't SAY that you carry a knife for SD as its main purpose. :)
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I like 4-7 inches of blade...of course I perfer a Fixed Blade Model...The blade design is the most important thing for me...I like Recurves, Wharncliffes, Double Edge Daggers, Spikes and knives with an ever so slight Hawkbill...Sub-Hilt Fighters, Bowies...Weight and Handle Material is not that important as long as it is comfy in the hand...Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

Usually my SD carry is a 21" ASP :p

for my SD knife carry, a fair trade off between concealment and ease of draw. I've got 2 sets of twins, both 2.5" edge.

set 1: Leavitt drop point skinners. cocobolo and bucote handles on 1084. right and left sheaths, high point draw (blade lays over belt, handle is completely above belt). Move them forward of your hips, and simply running your hands over them is enough to draw. Dual draw into reverse grip in a second flat :D
Only downside is that you have a pair of handles sticking out to draw attention.

set 2: CKE twins (modification to the carson f4). CF handles on 440C, right and left sheaths, IWB/rear/canted draw (they ride each side of my spine, about a 45deg cant leaves the handles and the top of the sheath above the belt). Takes a little more to reach behind to draw, but even a black tshirt tucked in hides them well enough due to colour. By the time my hands clear my sides I've got em in reverse grip. Big advantage here is that there's nothing sticking out and the kydex sheaths are tight enough to wear 24/7.

Irregardless of what you carry, to use it in combat you better be as familiar with it as most men are with certain parts of thier anatomy ;) Fear the guy sitting in the laundromat drawing, flipping and resheathing the knife without looking or feeling for the sheath. Laugh at the guy waving a bowie around like he's scared of it. If it's going to be used, it shouldn't be seen until after it's made contact at least the first time.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
bigkahunasix

Post by bigkahunasix »

FOLDERS-

Blade length- Minimum 3 inches, maximum- as long as I can feasably conceal
properly

Blade style- spearpoint, modified clip, recurve, drop or warncliffe

Grind type- prefer flat ground, but hollow and chisel are acceptable

Lock type- Spyder lockbacks, compression, BB, frame, and liners by Spyderco and Emerson only.

Handle material- G-10 or canvas micarta

Carry option- Tip up whenever possible

Steel type- AUS-8 and above are fine

FIXED BLADES-

Kabar, Rat-3 or 5 anything more than that and I had better have my mp-5,
AR or shotgun. (really need to get a Street Beat)

Bigk6
Been packing at least two Spyderco knives a day since 1984

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Most of what has been posted so far, I agree with.

I will now add my 2 cents:

Guard or Choil - I would prefer not to have my hands slide up on the edge during a hard thrust.

Secure Handle - By this I mean a handle, that when gripped tight, locks your hand to the knife.

Basically, during a SHTF scenario, I don't want that knife going anywhere once it is locked in my hand.
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich
stonyman

Post by stonyman »

I am to known to favor blades on the large side! :rolleyes: , but I utilize the sneaky little ones to. Basically, piggy backing off the above posts. Heat days lately it has been mainly blades between 3 to 6 inches....! Take care all and God Bless! :D
dete

Post by dete »

Personally I like the lockback. I'm use to it.

I like the knife to look like a utility tool not a weapon.
In other words if it looks like it's made for military personel,
I know it will be for hobby and sit in my room, not edc.

Lots of props to Spyderco for comming up with names like
The Civillian, Endura, Delica,

rather than something like The Throat Slitter IV or The Special Forces Splicer.
:D
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

dete wrote:Personally I like the lockback. I'm use to it.

I like the knife to look like a utility tool not a weapon.
In other words if it looks like it's made for military personel,
I know it will be for hobby and sit in my room, not edc.

Lots of props to Spyderco for comming up with names like
The Civillian, Endura, Delica,

rather than something like The Throat Slitter IV or The Special Forces Splicer.
:D
Ahhhh...I don't think the Civilian looks too much like a utility tool..unless you can convince someone it's for cutting linoleum :eek: I agree dete... kudos to Spyderco for the naming of their knives...Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
dete

Post by dete »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:Ahhhh...I don't think the Civilian looks too much like a utility tool..unless you can convince someone it's for cutting linoleum :eek: I agree dete... kudos to Spyderco for the naming of their knives...Doc :D
oh yeah I agree, the Civilian doesn't look like a utility tool :)

but many of Spyderco's knives look, well... artsy fartsy they might say
which is why I LIKE them. :D
KaliGman

Self Defense Tools

Post by KaliGman »

Primary among anyone's toolbox should be mental attitude/awareness, with secondary being empty hand skills. These two, together, we get you out of most non-law enforcement and non-military situations (i.e. when your very job is to go after people who are armed and wish you harm, you generally pack "heavy" when it comes to weaponry).

That said, for me, weaponry wise, my primary is a firearm, either a handgun or long gun depending on the situation (whether I knew I was going into a tense situation/arrest scenario or was just doing "normal business").

As for knives, Doc Snubnose kind of summarized my attitude already. I like a lot of different types of knives. I generally don't want my folders to be "Conan sized" and Doc's 4-7 inch rule for blade size is about right for me, most times. Unlike Doc, I hate subhilt fighters, but that is a personal matter (I haven't found one that "fit" me and I absolutely had to have--now that I have gone on record saying I hate them, I probably will find one that is perfect for me tomorrow and have to eat my words).

In general, because I wear a coat and tie most days, I prefer folders. I prefer G-10 handles but love the Spyderco Kris and carry it a lot (micarta handle) and have a soft spot for the Spyderco Karambit (stainless steel handle). I really like karambits, especially since I have spent so much time training with them and feel very comfortable with this style of knife. The Gunting is my all time favorite folder from Spyderco, but it is not suit pants pocket friendly (it works pretty well in the inside breast pocket of the suit and I usually wear a Gunting on casual days or weekends). For use while wearing a business suit, the Lava excels, as it cuts out of proportion to its size and its ergonomic handle results in high retention and ease of manipulation. The Delica isn't bad in this role either. I am not a big fan of the wave, though I have a few knives with this feature. In years past I would have went on about blade shape, etc. Now I am at the point where I think I can make most anything work in a pinch. I am now concerned with the quality and durability of the knives (no problems here with any Spyderco) and how they feel to me. As long as the lock is sturdy and will stand up to the shocks of self-defense or the rigors of hard utility use, I don't care how it locks. If I like the knife and can manipulate it quickly, I will consider carrying it. Every knife has advantages and disadvantages from a self-defense standpoint or from a utility standpoint. I choose the knives that, for me, have maximum advantage and minimum disadvantage. I don't really care about tip up or down--I can make either work for me. I am not a big hawkbill fan, but I think the P'Kal is a decent SD piece. In short, my tastes are eclectic.
"There is no weapon more deadly than the will." Bruce Lee

"The most pervasive and least condemned form of dishonesty is not doing the best you can." Colonel Jeff Cooper
Puyallupknifegu

Post by Puyallupknifegu »

Wow! Speaking from someone who has far less experience in MA in genearl and SD situations specifically, I prefer smaller spyders that I can deploy rapidly and that "shouldn't" scare NKP's. I work in corporate building in Seattle during regular business hours and carry a waved D4 and either a Lava, or a Cricket!! (Thanks Doc!!) I try to sharpen these every couple of days as I cut a fair bit of cardboard. I do, however, leave the tape residue on the blades as they are primarily utility knives and if I ever had to use one, it would be obvious that I wasn't "out looking for a fight" with my knife choice.
I mean no offense to anyone who carries a larger or pristine blade for SD
When I'm not at work, I'm carrying my waved D4 and my black Yojimbo; the Yojimbo has never cut anything more than calluses on feet. :D

God bless everyone, and here is to hoping we never need to use our sharp tools for anything that breathes. :)

Tim
God bless!
-Puyalluknifeguy-

Si Vis Pacem Para bellum
Agent Starling

Post by Agent Starling »

Regarding SD carry knife preferences, I have only one rule: there are no rules! A variety of knife features come into play:

-weight: I like heavy. Examples: SS Harpy, Yojimbo, P'kal.
-handle material: grippy G10 and ergonomically designed: P'kal, Civilian. SS also OK.
-blade: wharncliffe, hawkbill, S-curve, tanto. oh, but wait a second...I just realized half my blades are hawkbills... :o
-tip up/down: either. depends on knife.
-wave: nice to have, not an absolute requirement.
-lanyard hole: I never noticed.
-knife edge: I like serrations some of the time and other times I enjoy their absence.
-lock: compression is my favourite. and also whatever you call that lock on the Cricket...me likey.
-sound: when closing, I like it when the blade goes "snick" with a nice heavy sound like Yojimbo, P'kal.

In short, I like a knife that is useful for SD but also aesthetically pleasing with regard to look, feel, and sound as well. Spydercos rock! :spyder:

Disclaimer: The above information is true and correct to the best of my knowldege and belief.

...It's been a long day, with little sleep... :rolleyes:

Ex Special Agent Starling :D

PS ... oh, yeah, i forgot steel...i like steel, am not too concerned with the metallurgy...after all, Paul McCartney has said he doesn't know what brand of strings are on his bass, and it has served him well... :p :)
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Examples of Knives I carry with SD in mind.

Endura
stretch
Volpe
Military
Paramilitary
Microtech socom elite S90V
Kershaw Blur S30V
Kershaw Blur SG2 ( new brown model on test loan)
Benchmade 710HS (M2)

Dozier Agent or NY Special
temperance

joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"

Post by 224477 »

I tend to concentrate on folders with blade lenght between 3 and 4 inches. More of 3" in the last period though. Safe lock, good grip, sharp PE blade.
I choose the tools based on time, place and clothing I will wear.

To provide a few ideas:
Delica blue ZDP
Yoji black
Karambit
Endura 3 PE FRN

I carry my SCF most of the time as well, as the 2nd EDC knife - back up blade or sheeple friendly ocassions.

but I also like byrd Crossbill and different brands knives /CRKT for example/
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."