Explain Yourself.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Blades

Post by Blades »

I picked up "Blades" way back in 1994 when I was in the Air Force, stationed at Kunsan AB, Korea. Back then I only carried 2 Spyderco's(Endura and a Delica). Since it was such a shock to everyone for someone to carry TWO knives, they nicknamed me "Blades". I converted a few people to Spyderco's while there, and I had a buddy we called "Randy the knife" because he coud cut you with the wooden practice knives we trained with(Randy if you are out there send me an email.).
Anyways back in late 96, early 1997 I found out about "forums" on the "internet". We connected at 28.8 back then and were happy!! I needed a name, so I dusted off "Blades" and started using it again. I have been "Blades" on the internet since. I am #8 at Benchmade's website, #64 here, and I think member #157 at Knifeforums. I have been on Bladeforums since Oct 98, when it started. So I have been around awhile. :)

Thanks for asking, it is always fun to read about everyone's name.

Jason
--Jason--
dete

Post by dete »

Dete = Detective Batman

which was one of my fav. Batman comics

I like Batman because he reminds me of Dracula.

me is a huge Dracula fan.
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

Bolstermanic wrote:So I am becoming familiar with names I often see on this forum, but I wonder, what do these names mean? How did they come to be? For example:

Mastiff, Bluemist, SMCfalls, Clovisc, Meoman, Darkfin, Captan Carl, Fyunchclick, Cobrajoe, Tonydahose, BH49, Dedguy, Eastr, Mr Blonde, Jakemug, KaliGman, Fairbrook, Jujigatame, Spoonrobot, and many, many others... what's the story behind the name?
Mine is just a shortened version of my name, first initial and my last name. The 13 is thrown on there because I was born on a Friday the 13th(which explains a lot ;) )

Nothing overly complicated about my username. :cool:
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
Jeff2112

Post by Jeff2112 »

My user name is my real first name followed by my favorite all time rock song 2112 by the Canadian trio Rush. Yes, they are my favorite rock band as well. About three years ago I was here under Alan2112 which is my middle name. I tried to get it back but couldn't remember enough information.
grasshopper

Post by grasshopper »

Great thread!!

My screen name was derived as follows:

During the mid 70's while the CB radio craze was at its peak (breaker 19!!)
I bought a CB radio!! At the time I was driving a really sweet 1969
Boss mustang that was painted with a custom LIME green paint scheme.
I bought the car (non running) from a law enforcement confiscation
auction.With a few hundred dollars I got her running again,would last me
almost 10 years. anyway (i got distracted) when I got my CB I decided
based on the color of my car that "grasshopper" would be a great
"handle"

ED
fyunchclick

Post by fyunchclick »

my screenname comes from The Mote in God's Eye by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. the alien race in this book uses this term to describe their mediators/negotiators, or the relationship between the mediator and a counterpart (humans, in this case). a fyunch(click) assimilates and emulates every aspect of their counterpart, eventually becoming so similar that only physical appearance sets them apart.
the reason i chose this term is because fyunch(click)s tend to go insane from their relationships with humans. its a bit more complicated in the book, but for my purposes, it fits. people tend to loosen my screws, misplace my marbles, leave me a couple cans short of a six-pack.
my avatar is The Monkey King by Luke Chueh. no reason for this, i just like monkeys, and Chueh's work.

-bob
Jakemug

Post by Jakemug »

When I was in college (see avatar) this dude that always partied with us had a strange habit of adding "mug" to the end of everyone's name. He was weird and that's just the way he addressed people. Well, long after he was gone (jail) mine was the only one that stuck. My old college buddies still refer to me as Jakemug even though he did the same thing to them. Go figure :rolleyes:
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

My screen name is simple: Dr. cause I have two PhD"s in Clinical Psychology and in Social Psychiatry...Snubnose revolvers are my favorite firearms...and it was the name I used on the first firearms forum I joined...My tagline...was written by me cause I believe it to be true.....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Bodieism

Post by Bodieism »

My screen name comes from my Nickname. Everyone started calling me "Bodie" b/c my last name is Bodenheimer. The "ism" part is just something I add on because "Bodie" is usually taken on most forums and it kind of makes my s/n sound like a religion.
-- Bodie

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione!
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: I use my actual name as I've got nothing to hide and would forget a made up "handle" thus never being able to log in. It's also easier to be taken seriously (imo) if one's real name is used instead of "wackycatlover614" or whatever.

Also, it seems people are less likely to be jackasses when they're posting under their own names.

My siglines are quotes from two of my Aikido sensei that have helped me break through mental barriers/plateaus in my martial training.

And of course we can all learn from Fred Perrin.
:spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
Slatts

Post by Slatts »

Slats are small aerodynamic surfaces on the leading edge of an airplane wing which, when deployed, allow the wing to operate at a higher angle of attack. Lift is a product of angle of attack and speed, so by deploying slats an aircraft can fly slower or take off and land in a shorter distance. They are usually used while landing or performing manuvers which take the aircraft close to the stall, but are usually retracted in normal flight to minimise drag.

But the reason I chose Slatts is because it's a play on my surname :D .
peacefuljeffrey

Post by peacefuljeffrey »

I use the name "peacefuljeffrey" because I was given a bookmark by my mom years ago that explains the origin of the name. It comes from Old French, meaning "Heavenly peace; blessed one." So essentially my name means "peace," which I really like.

I don't even remember what my sig line is, or if I have one set up here, so I'll post this and look at it, and then edit to explain it. :D

-PJ

edit: Oh, my sig line is from a Robert Plant song called "Ship of Fools." To me, it's about knowing oneself.
"Within this frame an ocean swells -- behind the smile -- I know it well..."
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

My username is my middle name, which is the one my friends know me by, and my last name.

My signature is just a link to my blog, which is full of my occasional ramblings and musings. It's called "Life Between Two Waters" because I live on the Eastern Shore of Va, which is situated between the Chesapeake Bay and the Atlantic Ocean.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:..My tagline...was written by me cause I believe it to be true.....Doc :D

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
I believe your tagline too!

:D
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
KSDbass

Post by KSDbass »

I just found out what the song Elias by Dispatch means and is about, so that's where the new part of my signature is from. It's in an African language called Shona, and it means:
Dai Jesu achoinekwa ndaizofara naye
If I could meet my Jesus I would be very happy with him.

Taizofara naye
We would be happy with him

Kwaziwai?
How are you?

Makasimba, here?
How are you feeling?

Ndakasimba kana makisimbawo
I am fine and I hope the same for you

Ndakasimba, ndakasimba
I am fine, oh I am fine.
Custom avatar courtesy of Dialex!

Bill Brasky could destroy Chuck Norris.

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket
OrangeJoe

Post by OrangeJoe »

para-force wrote:My name is pretty random, but I can tell you what those two mean.

"If you want peace prepare for war"
and
"It's better to die on your feet than live on your knees"
Actually on the Spanish one, it's:

I'ts better to die while walking on foot than to live on your knees.

I guess he meant 'Es mejor morir DE pie que vivir arrodillado'.
Occasionally men stumble upon the truth, most times they pick themselves up and walk away as if nothing happened.
eastr

Post by eastr »

yes doc if you are true to your tag line you must be a a great guy you need to teach your ethics to your fellow leos they would gain a bunch of respect from the genral public if the acted that way. great line :D
"THE ROUGH RIDER”“FAR BETTER IT IS TO DARE MIGHTY THINGS..THAN TO TAKE RANK WITH THOSE POOR. TIMID SPIRITS WHO KNOW NEITHER VICTORY NOR DEFEAT.” THEODORE ROOSEVELT 1899
spyderco making mans oldest tool mans most advanced tool:spyder:
THE GREATSET POWER IS OFTEN SIMPLE PATIENECE
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
KaliGman

Post by KaliGman »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:My screen name is simple: Dr. cause I have two PhD"s in Clinical Psychology and in Social Psychiatry...Snubnose revolvers are my favorite firearms...and it was the name I used on the first firearms forum I joined...My tagline...was written by me cause I believe it to be true.....Doc :D
I thought you were paraphrasing the great English writer Samuel Johnson, as I had, several years back, seen a quote attributed to him which said:

'The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."

When I Googled the old quote today, though, it seems like no one really knows to whom it should be attributed (the link even suggest a possible Dear Abby or Ann Landers origination:eek :)

http://www.samueljohnson.com/apocryph.html

Doc, it is a great thought and good tagline. I guess "Great minds think alike." (That one is always attributed to "Anonymous." I always wanted to meet that guy :D ).
"There is no weapon more deadly than the will." Bruce Lee

"The most pervasive and least condemned form of dishonesty is not doing the best you can." Colonel Jeff Cooper
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

I work in the fire service and was involved in a fire apparatus rollover. It was Engine 8, and I was driving when we "flipped". :o
fret

Post by fret »

I play guitar so I used the name "fret" from the guitar neck spaces :spyder: .