CRKT "Dragon"

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Dr. Snubnose

CRKT "Dragon"

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Just got a CRKT Dragon after several forum members bugged me to get one....why?...It's a Larger Wharncliffe blade...think Yojimbo or Ronin on steriods... My impressions
1) The Blade is made from a nice hunk of steel
2) The Finger choil (very deep) and Jimping (on top spine) are perfect
3) Handle a little too grippy for me (almost hurts the hand on a death grip)
4) Sheath too big for the knife....making it kinda bulky to wear
5) Balance is excellent (just behind the finger choil)
6) The pommel is not of my liking but does not hamper transitions between hand grip positions
7) Should be and great slicer
8) Blade lenght is perfect as a self-defense knife
9) Satin finish blade OK...would be more pleasing if it were a high polished finish
10) Wish Spyderco would make one...they would do this model much better

All and all It is a nice knife, just because it fills a certain needed empty slot in the knife marketplace IMHO...on a scale of 1-10 I'd rate it about a 7....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

That is a nice knife, just ran a google search to find it.

You might know the answer to this, why the unusual blade angle? I can see the use of that angle for utility, but for SD it's purpose eludes me? Any insight Doc? :confused:
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

smcfalls13 wrote:That is a nice knife, just ran a google search to find it.

You might know the answer to this, why the unusual blade angle? I can see the use of that angle for utility, but for SD it's purpose eludes me? Any insight Doc? :confused:
Scott Looking at pictures I thought this as well...(unusual blade angle) I think it's an optical illusion in the pic because of the tapered tip...In the hand or just looking at it I find nothing unusual about it, I think we are too used to seeing the wharnies like the Ronin and Yo on a slanted downward angle towards the tip.....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

Stenny

Post by Stenny »

Just a quick question: which fixed blade knives, except ones made specifically for you (if you have any), do you rate 10?
And yes, Dragon is a pretty nice design :) .
...but no, no, you know it all, it's harmless little bunny...
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Stenny: My Quick List would be:

SOG 'Seal Pup'
Spyderco 'Ronin'
CS 'Urban Dart'
CRKT "Hissatsu'
Ralph Darrel's 'Arclite Cuda'
Micro-Tech 'Medallion'
Timberline 'Mini Pit Bull'
AG Russell 'The Sting'

runners up a #9
Boker 'Subcom FB'
Spyderco 'Kumo'
S&W 'HRT Badge Knife"
CRKT "Bear Claw'

mind you all of these knives are different from one another and all have to fill a different role and function for me....and I left out the big knives that I might take camping or hunting...Doc

jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

thanx for posting your review of the Dragon Doc Snubnose.....
I like the grippy G10 scales but the sheath "could be better" .....i guess a non LEO citizen carrying a 4.5 inch wharncliffe blade is "a little risky" in this day and age.....whoaa, this knife is calling for a meat test..... ;) :p
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
Agent Starling

Post by Agent Starling »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:Scott Looking at pictures I thought this as well...(unusual blade angle) I think it's an optical illusion in the pic because of the tapered tip...In the hand or just looking at it I find nothing unusual about it, I think we are too used to seeing the wharnies like the Ronin and Yo on a slanted downward angle towards the tip.....Doc :D
now that is a cool looking knife, doc, one i would have bought for the unusual blade shape alone...but it doesn't really look like the picture?? i'm imagining that maybe it's even better than the picture! :D :cool:

Ex Special Agent Starling
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

I took a gander at CRKT's current product line and they seem to have gotten a bit classier and a bit less gimicky as of late.
"Always keep an edge on your knife son, because a good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life."
dedguy.net
Puyallupknifegu

Post by Puyallupknifegu »

Hey Doc,

Thanks for the review!

I am curious if you have seen the folding Hissatsu?! I am really, really interested in that knife!!! I love the blade shape! I may have to get one of the fixed ones...especially if you rate it that highly!

Everything you've ever suggested, I've fallen in love with. :D
God bless!
-Puyalluknifeguy-

Si Vis Pacem Para bellum
stonyman

Post by stonyman »

Hissatsu is a heck of a blade for SD measures. Inexpensive... It is very fast into play and quick and responsive in hand. It feels at home in Pikal grip out! Have not been inclined to get the folder,but the fixed is a whole different animal! Rides flat with some 550 rigged through the kydex holes attached to the belt (IWB). Take care and God Bless You All! :D
Blackhair

Post by Blackhair »

I recently got a Dragon, and while I haven't gotten a chance to really test it out, I love what I've seen of it so far, and would agree with all of your points, except for the handle being too grippy. I'm sure that it will probably smooth out some over time, and I appreciate the secure feeling (and boy, does it feel secure) of the handle material.

Another very nice thing about the Dragon is that it sets up very nicely for the "Mercharness", the most simple, yet awesome, fixed blade harness system I have ever seen. (Go check it out at mercop.com)
Back from an extended hiatus.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Puyallupknifegu wrote:Hey Doc,

Thanks for the review!

I am curious if you have seen the folding Hissatsu?! I am really, really interested in that knife!!! I love the blade shape! I may have to get one of the fixed ones...especially if you rate it that highly!

Everything you've ever suggested, I've fallen in love with. :D
The folder doesn't excite me Tim, but I'll echo the words of Stonyman....The Hissatsu is a heck of a blade for SD....Doc :D

ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

Hey Doc.

I been eyeballing that Dragoon for awhile, but we already talked about this (I still like mine better ;) :D ). Nonetheless, that Dragoon is awesome. Looking forward to the tests.
First they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not stand up, because I was not a Trade Unionist.
[INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]Attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller [/INDENT] [/INDENT][/INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18317

Hawkbills- Sink in the tip, and let it rip!!! :D - Axlis
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Originally Posted by smcfalls13
That is a nice knife, just ran a google search to find it.

You might know the answer to this, why the unusual blade angle? I can see the use of that angle for utility, but for SD it's purpose eludes me? Any insight Doc?

Scott Looking at pictures I thought this as well...(unusual blade angle) I think it's an optical illusion in the pic because of the tapered tip...In the hand or just looking at it I find nothing unusual about it, I think we are too used to seeing the wharnies like the Ronin and Yo on a slanted downward angle towards the tip.....Doc
On a second look Scott, you are right there is a angle to the blade, which at first I thought was an optical illusion Don't quite understand it yet...but I might have some insight after testing it some more....Doc :D

Puyallupknifegu

Post by Puyallupknifegu »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:The folder doesn't excite me Tim, but I'll echo the words of Stonyman....The Hissatsu is a heck of a blade for SD....Doc :D

Thanks for the input as always, Doc!!
God bless!
-Puyalluknifeguy-

Si Vis Pacem Para bellum
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Nice one Doc.

Believe it or not, I got a protoplastic of my Wharning FB with that "unusual" blade angle. FWIW, I did that angle for two reasons:

Allows more finger clearance on a flat surface cutting with a straight edge.

Allows the point to be directly in line with the pommel...sorta acting like a dagger.

In fact, The Deac' has an OLD protoplastic of a SFB Wharnie that has that angle... ;)

God bless and take care you guys :cool:
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

[quote="DAYWALKER"]Nice one Doc.

Believe it or not, I got a protoplastic of my Wharning FB with that "unusual" blade angle. FWIW, I did that angle for two reasons:

Allows more finger clearance on a flat surface cutting with a straight edge.

Allows the point to be directly in line with the pommel...sorta acting like a dagger.

In fact, The Deac' has an OLD protoplastic of a SFB Wharnie that has that angle... ]

Ay Chad: I figured out the second deal.... point in alignment with the pommel but hadn't thought about the finger clearance thingy...Makes Sense...Thanks for the Input....Doc :D

DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:Ay Chad: I figured out the second deal.... point in alignment with the pommel but hadn't thought about the finger clearance thingy...Makes Sense...Thanks for the Input....Doc :D
Yo SSifu,

About time I said something that made sense...here I was thinking it's The_Incredible's_ Father's bday when it's Father's Day...Ahhhh, what REM Deprivation and **** can do to a fellow. :p

Again, nice blade...looks like the last knife I saw Ed Chavar make. ;)

Missed you SSifu, God bless :cool:
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)