Emerson question

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
KSDbass

Emerson question

Post by KSDbass »

I've always wanted an Emerson, and I had my eye on the Commander. I handled my friend's mini-commander, and wow. Was it just his, or is the lock ridiculously hard to close? With this in mind, I'm thinking about getting CQC-13 BTS, however, how is the lock on this? For me, it isn't that I have weak hands, but that there's so little surface area on the lock, and it's in such a weird place on the mini-commander.

Edit: does anyone know if Emerson will be at BLADE?
Custom avatar courtesy of Dialex!

Bill Brasky could destroy Chuck Norris.

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

Been a while since I handled an Emerson, but I don't recall them being difficult to disengage. Most likely just his knife.
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

I handled a CQC-7 at a local store and I was really surprised at how thin the liner lock was. I was pretty disapointed because I had always heard they were awesome hardcore super strong knives. They may be.....but the CQC-7 has a thin liner lock.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
CopilotATS-55

Post by CopilotATS-55 »

David the lock is fine, trust me ;)
mine has survived alot of punishment :spyder:
Kyle Decker wasn't here !!! :D :eek:

"Avatar by Dialex
REMEMBER
SFC SHUGART & MSG GORDON

Im still here, just busy being a Senior!!! :D
PNXC

PN
Wrestling

Never Forget 9/11

VMI
10'+3
KSDbass

Post by KSDbass »

David, the lock on CQC-7's is perfect. The only problem is, I prefer a deeper, more yojimbo-like index finger choil, and I'm not much for tanto blades, or sharpening them to be specific.

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

That's cool. Thanks for the info. Yeah, I've only handled a CQC-7 but that's it so I didn't know. They look cool, and I even like the chisel grind. ;)
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Emerson's are pretty good,id go with a model with a frame lock.
KSDbass

Post by KSDbass »

Thanks Vincent, but aren't they all framelocks? Minus the CQC-12, assuming you don't consider the framelock a liner lock.

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

I only thought there was a few models that were frame locks. The Commander is not a frame Lock it is a Linear Lock. I consider frame locks and Linear locks to be very different. the CQC-12 is a frame Lock, The CQC-14 is not.

I am just no longer a fan of liners.
KSDbass

Post by KSDbass »

Wait, I got that backwards. I managed to mix up liner and Frame. apart from the CQC-12 being a framelock.
Minus my stupidity, I prefer liner locks. I've only handled a few framelocks, but man were they hard to close. The problem was that the lock was too close to the other liner, and so I just couldn't get very much force behind it.

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

The Disadvantage of the Linear lock is the advantage of the frame. While the Linear is not held by any constant force when engaged, it allows it to wobble and flex. Though the frame lock has constant pressure from your hand/finger, which wont allow it to disengage,
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

KSDbass,

Just so you are clear, the liner lock is a where only the inner liner springs over and locks behind the blade. A frame lock is where a piece of the side of the handle comes over and locks behind the blade. Frame locks are stronger and more reliable than liner locks (usually).

Edit: Vincent beat me to it a little. :)
Puyallupknifegu

Post by Puyallupknifegu »

KSDbass wrote:I've always wanted an Emerson, and I had my eye on the Commander. I handled my friend's mini-commander, and wow. Was it just his, or is the lock ridiculously hard to close? With this in mind, I'm thinking about getting CQC-13 BTS, however, how is the lock on this? For me, it isn't that I have weak hands, but that there's so little surface area on the lock, and it's in such a weird place on the mini-commander.

Edit: does anyone know if Emerson will be at BLADE?

Hello my friend,

I recently acquired my first Emerson, a CQC7 BT. I love it!!! I haven't actually carried it yet...but, yes the liner is quite stiff!!! I also work a few weekend gunshows for my local dealer,and every Emerson I've handled takes some "breaking in". Nothing to be concerned with. It's not too much different than the "break in period" with a Yojimbo!!! That took me a month!!! :p

They make incredible knives, and if you can get one for a good price I really don't think you'll regret it!!

And as far as sharpening the chisel grind? Get a sharpmaker...Sal tells how to sharpen it...and it doesn't sound very hard!!!

Good luck!

Tim :D
God bless!
-Puyalluknifeguy-

Si Vis Pacem Para bellum
KSDbass

Post by KSDbass »

I've actually sharpened my friend's CQC-7, so of course I played with it for around a week. I have no problem with the chisel grind, it's just the tanto. I'm too careless to stop where the second edge begins, so I usually end up going over, and rounding it off.

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket
ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

It's been said that Titanium is abrasive on steel. That could also account for the difficulty in releasing the lock. My SOCFK will be hard to close if waved open to hard.
First they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not stand up, because I was not a Trade Unionist.
[INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]Attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller [/INDENT] [/INDENT][/INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18317

Hawkbills- Sink in the tip, and let it rip!!! :D - Axlis
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

Sometimes they take a little break-in time, as many knives do.

I love my Emersons, they're great knives.

If you're looking for an awesome Emerson that's not a tanto, check out the CQC-8. It has a nice, curving clip point with lots of "belly". The handle feels as if it was made for my hand (I know many others who feel the same way about that handle).
Referee in the Bowels of ****
Email: ST8PEN01@aol.com
Artwork For Sale

"...We few, we happy few...we band of brothers...For whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare

If you are not willing to stand behind our troops, by all means, please stand in front of them!
Puyallupknifegu

Post by Puyallupknifegu »

Jimd wrote:Sometimes they take a little break-in time, as many knives do.

I love my Emersons, they're great knives.

If you're looking for an awesome Emerson that's not a tanto, check out the CQC-8. It has a nice, curving clip point with lots of "belly". The handle feels as if it was made for my hand (I know many others who feel the same way about that handle).

I agree about the "belly" there, Jim. I also have to point out the new CQC14!!! Legal blade length in a spear tip and a different set of ergos than the CQC7!!!

I can't wait to get mine!!

:D
God bless!
-Puyalluknifeguy-

Si Vis Pacem Para bellum
bigkahunasix

Post by bigkahunasix »

Been playing with my P-Sark for a couple of days now. Solid lockup, great ergos (for my hands), hair popping sharp after a trip to the sharpmaker. A little lube speeds up the break-in period. Waves nicely.

Bigk6
Been packing at least two Spyderco knives a day since 1984

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]