might be getting a white german shepherd

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
aero_student

might be getting a white german shepherd

Post by aero_student »

I met and played with some puppies today and I think I might be getting one.

She was the more quiet one of the ones there. She was still playful and lively, but she didn't nibble or jump up on me as much. I'm really hoping this dog works out.

Her hips are guaranteed by the breeder and she'll be replaced if they develop issues. In 8 years of breeding these dogs she's never had to replace one.
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

Good choice! How were you able to put her down and walk away without making a downpayment? :eek:

Just be sure you socialize her with other dogs. I found out the hard way that socializing with only neighbor dogs isn't enough. I did that with my dog, but I failed to take him around strange dogs as a puppy. Now, he is nervous when he meets a new dog. (Not good) I'm working on it, but it is a hard thing to break.
aero_student

Post by aero_student »

I did actually put a deposit down, the dog is such a sweetheart.

Will definitely be taking her to puppy kindergarten if this goes through.
Socialization seems to be the biggest thing in getting the dog to be well adjusted and happy.
disko

Post by disko »

That's an awfully poor attitude to a living, breathing thing; 'She'll be replaced if {her hips} have issues"

If you love her, you'll love her pefect hips or totally disabled.
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

[quote="disko"]That's an awfully poor attitude to a living, breathing thing]
Kinda like imposing your values onto others.
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

[quote="disko"]That's an awfully poor attitude to a living, breathing thing]

That's what I thought too. I could never have a pet that I would ever take back for any reason. Once they are mine, they are mine forever, good or bad health.....but then again, I'm a "big softy" as far as animals are concerned, large or small. Very Cute Puppy!!!!!!!!!!

Regards Sonny
Fender Strat...the Guitar that put the Rock in Rock&Roll
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

SonnyD wrote:That's what I thought too. I could never have a pet that I would ever take back for any reason. Once they are mine, they are mine forever, good or bad health.....but then again, I'm a "big softy" as far as animals are concerned, large or small. Very Cute Puppy!!!!!!!!!!

Regards Sonny
Which may or may not be why she has never had to replace one of her bred dogs for bad hips.

Just because the OP mentioned the breeders guarantee doesn't mean he would actually utilize it. To me it just said he is trying to find a good breeder who cares about the problems of the breed. Any good book on dogs will advise the same homework when shopping for pure breeds/ers.
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
disko

Post by disko »

People who buy puppies for pets typically bit buy them for being a perfect example of a breed. They buy them for companionship, love and, in most cases, to spoil them.

A puppy, or any dog or animal which you profess to care about as your companion, is not something to be replaced under a 'guarentee' because a 'component' is 'faulty'.
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

bottom line is she is a cutey and i hope she is healthy and a faithful companion to you. enjoy her, my parents wouldnt let me have a dog growing up so that was the first thing i was going to get when i moved out, then i married a girl who is allergic to them :( .
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

Hip dysplasia is a common problem in large breeds. A good breeder should have tested the dad/mom for any genetic signs of it. This type of guarantee is normal from good breeders. Whether or not someone chooses to use the warranty isn't the point.

One side note: I've been told that taking puppies jogging/running on leash can cause problems later in life. Limited walks for puppies is best. I've never researched hip dysplasia though.
aero_student

Post by aero_student »

geez guys. Some of you understood what was being said the others just don't get it. Don't you dare to belittle my love of my past, present and future pets.
Last month we had to put our lab/queensland mix down at the age of 13 due to advanced cancer that was causing her intense pain and prevented her from eating and a year ago I had to put the cat down that I grew up with because very suddenly her heart and kidney's went into failure. Sometimes when I see a spot where Lulu, my cat, liked to sleep or she did something silly I still tear up. I know what it's like to live with, love, and care for geriatric animals and they get every bit of love, sometimes more, than the puppy in the family. We've even had an american eskimo that lived to the ripe age of 18.

Some of these dogs due to poor breeding have severe hip problems that can manifest themselves even relatively early in the dogs life. If the dog has dysplasia it MUST NOT be bred for the betterment of the breed. I have pretty severe knee pain at time; most of the time it's just nagging but at times I can't walk, so I have a bit if perspective on the subject as well as our last dog having hip problems. It's extremely sad when your dog can't squat to pee without falling over. If a breeder is doing what they can to prevent a population of dogs from having to suffer for years and years than I'm for it. That guarantee is a sign of a good breeder that is looking out for the future of the breed, not some cold-hearted bastard. There is a group called OFA, their purpose is to diagnose hip and elbow quality in a dog 2 years or older.

I thought you guys would be happy for me knowing that I'm getting a happy and healthy well bred dog that I've carefully researched and will fit well in my family. Thank you to those that have been around these larger breeds and understand the challenges they face. I'll probably be bringing her home next sunday or monday due to this being finals week for my at college and it being memorial day weekend and that tying me up at work. I'm rather excited that the people I work with are very dog friendly and will welcome her when I bring her with me.
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

aero_student wrote:I thought you guys would be happy for me knowing that I'm getting a happy and healthy well bred dog that I've carefully researched and will fit well in my family.

I am, and you understand that you have to show us some pics now and then.
What age is she now, her ears are still floppy.
Does she allready have a name?
All your knifelinks, http://www.knifelinksportal.com
Kn00b

Post by Kn00b »

flyguy wrote:Hip dysplasia is a common problem in large breeds. A good breeder should have tested the dad/mom for any genetic signs of it. This type of guarantee is normal from good breeders. Whether or not someone chooses to use the warranty isn't the point.
I'm in agreement with this and would actually go one further.

German Shepherds are probably the most prone breed to hip displaysia on the planet. A good breeder will PennHip or OFA certify ALL breeding stock. These are two tests of current and future hip health. GSD's in Germany are actually not permitted to have their off-spring registered as GSD's unless they are OFA certified for hip health (as well as temperament tests and obedience titles).

A good breeder will offer a replacement/refund warranty as well but as mentioned many will not be redeemed even if the puppy comes up displastic. As to 'collecting' on that warranty, many dogs are bought for working or competition purposes (think racehorse not Fido). Regardless, it can be heartbreaking to have a crippled 2 year old dog and be faced with a potential $3000-$5000 vet bill or have to put your young dog to sleep (extreme case of displaysia but I've seen it happen).

Now for the really unpopular input from me... white GSD's are actually not to breed 'type'. So if this breeder is trying to breed white GSD's they are really not breeding GSD's to type but rather to fill a fad/niche market. Reputable working or show breeders would never try to breed a white GSD and would spay/neuter any accidental white off-spring if they did crop up. Sorry. :(

Despite that, it doesn't mean that your white GSD won't make a fine pet and a wonderful addition to your family. Good luck and enjoy your GSD!
Whoever said you can't buy happiness must not have had to pay for their Spyderco's. :spyder:
aero_student

Post by aero_student »

She's 9 weeks old and her ears are are perking up some, her litter-mates ears range from fully floppy to one of them being totally erect.

I haven't named her yet, I've been hunting through the Norse Pantheon and historic german names. Lucia is high on the list, read Saint Lucia.

From what I've learned in reference to the white genetic component is that it is a recessive masking gene. What it does is when you have a pair of the gene it overrides whatever the normal color pattern would have been. The normal color genes are still present, they are just being masked over. Basically it's normal for the white gene to be present but it's not terribly common and there has been a prejudice against it going back to Hitler trying to exterminate them. the gene which causes white does not itself cause any other defect. They are otherwise genetically identical to colored German Shepherds. As long as the dogs aren't being inbred there really isn't a problem with the whites.

http://www.wgsdca.org/thebreed/whitegene.asp
http://www.wsgenetics.org/index.htm
Those sites has been some of the many resources I've been using.
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

I think we are happy about it.....it was probably just the way you posted. If you had written about the guarantee in the original post like you did in the follow up, I doubt anyone would have responded the way we did. The original post just sounded a little uncaring. I'm sure those of us that did respond like we did, did so because like you, we are very attached to our pets. I still have so many fond memories of my pets, and I still get teary eyed when I think about them, and some have been gone for more then 20 years....when I get that way, I give my companion and best friend an extra hug. IMO, animals are one of the greatest gifts God ever gave us, and I thank him for all the wonderfull ones he's sent to me.

Regards Sonny
aero_student

Post by aero_student »

One of my favorite pet quotes is "My goal in life is to be as good of a person
as my dog already thinks I am."

I really do believe having animals in your life helps make you more human.
SonnyD

Post by SonnyD »

I think you are exactly right. Their unselfish Love...and they always Love you without limits...and Love you just because you are You :) Nothing makes me smile more or makes me have such a warm feeling then to just play the games that my Kitty and I play. There isn't a thing in the world I wouldn't do for him, and I know he would do the same for me if he could.
Regards Sonny