FREE SPEECH takes a major hit

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JspyEDC

Post by JspyEDC »

stonyman wrote:Folks, that word and anything pertaining to it is wrong in its purest sense! Whether it derogatory remarks on any ethnic group etc. More so than anything else, I just have a low tolerance for B.S. including my own when I feel the shoe fits. I just cannot stand ignorance! This country has a checkered past when it comes to racism and here in 2007 there is no need to continue to harbor those feelings through attacks on others for entertainment purposes. Whether it is Rap, Don Primus or who ever else! We all know at the end of the day the dollars talk! I have never listened to him and just found out that the guy existed. This situation is unfortunate all around. My friends cover various multicultural gentlemen, warriors and women from all walks of life, bad apples in the bunch does not change my feelings for anyone of these people! Don hopefully will embrace change and given another crack at it in the future with his new found knowledge of public perception. Now for me........I will just stick with more life and death issues! Take care all and God Bless! :D
This thread was in no way created to applaud Mr. Imus for his stupidity in his choice of words, or to condone the racial slang words he uttered. It was simply to bring about a dialogue re: chilling free speech on the airwaves. I think it is interesting that this thread has brought about comments regarding double standards and hypocrisy. No matter how you feel about all of these isues, it's nice we have a forum to discuss it without fear of being ostricized from your job or community. There are many who have that fear, and it's sad that some HAVE to walk on eggshells in order to exist in this somewhat F'd up scenario.
Spyderco Collector #162
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

JspyEDC wrote:This thread was in no way created to applaud Mr. Imus for his stupidity in his choice of words, or to condone the racial slang words he uttered. It was simply to bring about a dialogue re: chilling free speech on the airwaves. I think it is interesting that this thread has brought about comments regarding double standards and hypocrisy. No matter how you feel about all of these isues, it's nice we have a forum to discuss it without fear of being ostricized from your job or community. There are many who have that fear, and it's sad that some HAVE to walk on eggshells in order to exist in this somewhat F'd up scenario.
Thats true,at work we have to use the word New American when talking about anyone from India or the middle east.If I was one of these people and someone called me a New American I think I might piss me off.
Words are words and that all,its all in how they are used and taken.Cracker(white),Opie(white),Indian giver(Native American),cowboy killer(Native American),Shant(Irish),honky(white),cockroach(french) and the like don't bother me at all and all could be used toward me.Had to look up a few of those.
If a word that is not derogatory to start with is used enough in derogatory phrases that word will soon become derogatory.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
stonyman

Post by stonyman »

Jspyedc, I was not firing at you, just cannot stand all the surrounding circumstances myself. There should be some type of balance in all of this. We see the old saying, "be careful pointing a finger because you have three pointing back at you!" I am all for the rights of the people, I think part of the shock is the people who initiated the judgement! I am sure Don will move forward and be on some type of paid radio and cater to his audience. You are right about the thread.....it is a problem with multiple angles indeed. I think anyone should be free to say what they want.......even if it gets them hammered in the public opinion arena. To intentially offend someone with freedom of expression......that just a reflection of that individual! Take care all and God Bless You! :D
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

stonyman wrote:I think anyone should be free to say what they want.......even if it gets them hammered in the public opinion arena. To intentially offend someone with freedom of expression......that just a reflection of that individual!
Sorry, I don't remember reading the part where jack-booted governments agents stormed in and carted Don Imus off to jail, or put him up against a wall and shot him. He said what he said, and AFAIK, he's still a free man.

You are saying that YOUR right to say what you wish means that OTHERS should be forced to pay you to do so. So, if the owner of a store you and your wife are shopping in exercises HIS right to say what he wants and calls your wife a "skank ho" you're going to continue to patronize the store? After all, it's his opinion and you seem to feel he has an absolute right to express it.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Darkfin

Post by Darkfin »

Good point, Paul. No one is stopping Imus from saying what he said. He might be sitting at home saying it over and over even now. But bidnez is bidnez, and when his free speech causes lost revenue, that is where the money men draw the line.

He could have been fired for saying he likes 'blue suede' shoes too often, if that caused a loss of revenue. No one would be arguing free speech then, would they?
There isn’t any symbolism. The sea is the sea. The old man is an old man. The boy is a boy and the fish is a fish. The shark are all sharks no better and no worse. All the symbolism that people say is ****.
~Ernest Hemingway (describing The Old Man and the Sea)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Chucula

Post by Chucula »

I sense some repetition :D

If someone is working for someone else, they work by the boss's rules. If they work for themselves, they work by their own rules. Simple as that.
stonyman

Post by stonyman »

My fellow Deacon, man it must be too many late nights! I was only stating that most people throw up the first amendment. I am in no way shape or form condoning what Don Imus said. Like I said in my first post here, Anyone who use derogatory racial remarks towards another is flat out wrong! :mad: I do not want to contradict myself. I was just saying that folks who feel free to express themselves in this country consider it just, but that freedom comes at a cost. In this situation, it cost him his job and the rath of the public. Personally, I cannot stand ignorance! I do hope he learns from this situation! Maybe he can sign on here and see how folks from diverse backgrounds and nationalities conduct themselves in a civilized manner. :D Deac if someone calls my wife a what you just said in their store, you are right Sir they will be happy for me just to withhold my money! You ever heard of healing hands knifebro!LOL Some folks need a good dose of healing, do you agree? Take care all and God Bless!
dialex

Post by dialex »

EarthDog wrote:Imus is still free to be offensive and insensitive. He will just have to do it for free.
Very well put, he, he. :)
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.