siberian, alaskan, or akita?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
aero_student

siberian, alaskan, or akita?

Post by aero_student »

I've been researching dogs and I thought I'd see what experiences you guys have had with these breeds or any similar ones.

I'm looking at breeds that are fairly "unaltered" and are similar to more primitive dogs/wolfs. I can't stand overbred dogs that are totally unpractical.

My preferred weight range is from 40lbs on the light side to as high as the 90's, maybe 100lb, but I prefer smaller for sure.

I will have a yard and I like spending time training my pets. I've had dogs and cats and I'm used to training both. I will also be doing nightly walks around the neighborhood.
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

One thing I have been told by multiple husky owners is that the dogs will run away if not on leash. I don't know if this is a breed trait or if it is lack of training. However, you may want to ask around about it...

Enjoy your dog, I love all of the breeds that you have listed. Have you considered volunteering at your local Humane Society? It would give you a chance to have "hands-on" experience with many different breeds.
aero_student

Post by aero_student »

you're the second person that's mentioned the siberians runnung off without a leash. i'm going to have to keep that in mind
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I have owned Akitas for the last 25 years...they are great watch dogs,very protective, good in small spaces (apartments) for such a large dog, mine have always wanted to live outdoors and they adapt to that very well, great with kids, they do have a tendency to be a bit pig headed and tenacious but are very smart and are trained easily, and they really are one man dogs,they tend to want to listen to the one who feeds them... The Alaskan Malamutes also are good dogs, not as aggressive as the Akitas and good around the kids and the Huskies are smaller and meaner IMHO, I don't like what has happened to the Husky breed, and I don't trust them around small kids....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
aero_student

Post by aero_student »

you're the second person that's mentioned the siberians runnung off without a leash. i'm going to have to keep that in mind
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

It always bums me out when I see far North climate dogs down in the hot zone. For example I have a friend in Vegas with a Husky...the fur is a bit thick for the heat. Shave that puppy often.
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
WOTANSON1

Post by WOTANSON1 »

Spitz/Nordic type dogs have a double coat so be prepared for some serious grooming issues with the breeds you've mentioned. Also since the Husky and Malamute are working dogs, finding a breeder that breeds for pets and not work might save you some headaches. Akitas are great dogs, but they have a smaller gene pool and have a higher rate of hip and elbow dysplasia than other types of dogs, make sure to ask for a Penn hip score of the puppy and the history of the parents medical problems. One of the best things about having worked as a Veterinary Nurse/LVT for 10+ years is you get to see so many breeds of dogs and unfortunately their problems.
Cheers,
Rob
International Order of the SpyderEdge-founding member

Faith, Folk and Family

If you can read this, thank a Teacher.
If this is written in English, thank a US Soldier

NOT my "president"

Proud Member of SOSAK
Stenny

Post by Stenny »

I had a husky, and it is a dog that knows that he can survive without you, no probs. So friendship is the only thing that tie him to you. But I liked him to a fair degree. Wolfhounds are good too.
aero_student

Post by aero_student »

WOTANSON1 wrote:Spitz/Nordic type dogs have a double coat so be prepared for some serious grooming issues with the breeds you've mentioned. Also since the Husky and Malamute are working dogs, finding a breeder that breeds for pets and not work might save you some headaches. Akitas are great dogs, but they have a smaller gene pool and have a higher rate of hip and elbow dysplasia than other types of dogs, make sure to ask for a Penn hip score of the puppy and the history of the parents medical problems. One of the best things about having worked as a Veterinary Nurse/LVT for 10+ years is you get to see so many breeds of dogs and unfortunately their problems.
Cheers,
Rob

Are there any similar dogs that you would suggest I look into?

We had VERY good luck with our spitz, he was a great dog with just a touch of ornry/stubborn and he lived to be the ripe age of 18 years old and was extremely loyal.
java
Location: Rosamond - Tropical Paradise without the tropics.....(or the paradise)

Post by java »

How about a Belgian, Brian???

The Belgian Malinois, sheepdog, and Turveran seem like the same dog with different coats. Many of the dogs folks refer to as German Shepherds are in fact Belgian Malinois. They are all protective, even tempered and intelligent pups breed for working and herding. The Malinois is the main police dog in Europe and they are finding growing work here in the US as drug, bomb sniffing, police, and military working dogs as well. Henderson and Las Vegas use them as their drug/police dogs and they are also used for public relations and interactive school programs like DARE. Their colors vary and the length of the coat does as well. They do need room to play.

The Turvuren has the same basic lines as the Malinois, but with a longer coat. The coat takes light brushing to retain its healthy look. The Tervuren is intelligent, even tempered, and protective but he doesn't immediately take to strangers. He needs room to play as well.

The Belgian sheep dog or Groenendael has all the same general characteristics as the Malinois and the Turvuren but is less shy and more sociable than the Turvuren.

All three Belgians live into the mid-teens and can have have problems with hip-dysplasia.

I currently live with two Goldens, a shepherd mix, and a Dodger.

I cannot say enough about the gentle and loving nature of a Golden Retreiver. They are by far the best all around family dog on the planet. Timber our shepherd mix is every bit as playfull, inteligent, and devoted as Java (my Shepherd/Collie mix still living with Java the Younger in Tejas). Dodger is .....well......Dodger. Found him as an abused and abandoned stray in the desert near our house. Took nearly 6-weeks of gentle talk and feeding before he would let us even come near him but now is the most loving and protective of the four.

.......oh yeah and lest he squawk about being left out, this is our sun conure, Buddy the Bird.....

Zorro our masked Siamese was opposed to having his picture placed on a public forum claiming someone would recognize hime and turn him in to Don Rafael Montero de la Cruz en la Playa Cerca del Bahia de los Pajaros que Viven en Las Sierra Nevadas de California del Norte con Churros......... :D

:D
J
When I said that mercy stood
Within the border of the wood
I meant the lenient beast with claws
And bloody swift dispatching jaws.

Death Before Decaf!
!
:spyder:
aero_student

Post by aero_student »

Ah yes, those felines can be a bit sneaky. We've got 2 right now; the older one we recently put on a diet because she's been insanely lazy since my calico died several months ago :( and the other is cream with flame points. the younger cream colored cat, lily, sounds like your zorro.

I'm going to need to research those more java, it iwill be interesting to see if I can find a breeder in CA.
WOTANSON1

Post by WOTANSON1 »

aero_student wrote:Are there any similar dogs that you would suggest I look into?

We had VERY good luck with our spitz, he was a great dog with just a touch of ornry/stubborn and he lived to be the ripe age of 18 years old and was extremely loyal.
If you are willing to deal with the grooming issues all of your pics are great dogs, ya just have to do a little homework to find the right breeder for all, Huskies seen to be a little less dysplastic than the others. That said, visiting the breeders to see the temperament of their dogs (mom and dad), Penn hip scores and early training can help a lot, though that doesn't guarantee anything. I'd start on the AKC website, contact the parent club who should be able to provide you with a list of approved breeders, not just people who register dogs with the AKC but breeders the parent club feel are ethical. If you have a dog run nearby go and talk to people who have the breeds and ask pro and con questions about each breed of dog. I'm sure you'll find all the info you need. I'm a Boston Terrier man myself so I recommend a.....Boston Terrier. ;)
Cheers,
Rob
International Order of the SpyderEdge-founding member

Faith, Folk and Family

If you can read this, thank a Teacher.
If this is written in English, thank a US Soldier

NOT my "president"

Proud Member of SOSAK
griff76

Post by griff76 »

I would highly recommend checking out your local animal shelter. I worked in one in California for 7 years. I saw alot of dogs pass through that shelter in that time. We got everything imaginable. Most shelters have some pure bred dogs, if that is what you feel you need. Some people may pay $500 bucks for to some backyard breeder or puppy mill operator for a special breed, but not me. After working in the animal shelter, that is the only place I would ever get any pet. Pure bred dogs are way more prone to having genetic defects than a mutt. Also, some of those northern breeds have sort of built up a reputation as being a dog with a high prey drive. Might not mix well with cats. Do yourself and a lucky dog a favor, go to your animal shelter and just check it out.
"There was never a good knife made out of bad steel"
-Benjamin Franklin
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

how about a rhodesian ridgeback????!!!!!

i had one in africa -- best guard dog imaginable. even when i was off travelling, he'd stick around my hut and chase off snakes, drunks, and curious children. they're very loyal, tend to be rather wild-looking, and as clever as anything...
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

for your dog-searching pleasure... :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhodesian_Ridgeback

says they're also known as "african lion hounds."
Civilian

Post by Civilian »

griff76 wrote: Some people may pay $500 bucks for to some backyard breeder or puppy mill operator for a special breed, but not me. After working in the animal shelter, that is the only place I would ever get any pet.
Amen to that! Never buy from any petstore!!!!!!!! 99% of all breeds also have a rescue orginization as well. We are part of the Underground Great Dane Railroad, Which means when A rescue dog needs to get from one place to another we will help drive it there. Do a lot of research on your breed and ask several breeders as there are bad ones as well as good ones.
MAT :spyder: TER
Just-American
WTC#1511
"Hunt You Down All Nightmare Long!"
"Civilian Lovers appreciate nice curves" insp. by Dr. Snubnose
TheKnifeCollector

Post by TheKnifeCollector »

I currently have a Shiba Inu. He is a GREAT dog, with a wonderful temperment. I highly recommend a Shiba Inu, since you are looking at an Akita.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Oracle

Post by Oracle »

We have an Alaskan and it seems they have they same problem as the Husky's. If the gate is open they are gone. Happened twice to us and we were fortunate enough to find them again. She shares the home with a male Bouvier and a male Newfoundland. All great dogs.

She is great with kids.

The pulling instinct is born into them so it's best to train them from small because they are strong. They are highly intelligent but because they have this stubborn nature it doesn't always seems like it. The need stimulation especially in the early years.

It gets quite hot here in ZA but we grrom here often and make sure that the undercoat as as thin as possible to help her stay cool. They have 2 layers of hair and do shed a lot of hair if not groomed regulary. Maybe in cooler areas this will be less. The bottom layer is fluff and the top layer seems to be coated with oil because to get her wet for a bath is a mission. And it takes a while to dry afterwards.

Apparently in the snow the fluff layer is used to line the burrow where the litter is born.

Another interesting thing. She does not bark at all. She does this howling type sound which differs depending is she is just talking to you or warning of danger. We sometimes have snakes round here and she is the only one that warns us. She'll stay close to the snake and then do her warning howl.
Smith and Wesson : The Original Point-and-Click Device
Kn00b

Post by Kn00b »

Huskies- Most are runners. I've known several that were escape artists/off leash runners. Pretty much a breed trait. Like anything, you can train around it but don't expect the hang around off leash heeling tendencies you'll see in a say a Golden Retriever. Tend to be pretty stable personalities though overall from my experience.

Alaskan Malamute- I've seen several with aggression issues and personality trouble. Be careful here.

Belgians- Some great dogs but not for everyone. These are bred to be HIGH drive dogs. If you don't give them a job they will find there own. They may decide that this job is to find and bite the mailman for instance. With proper training these can be superior work dogs. Beware the 'sharp' Malinois from the wrong sport breeder though.

Note: In Europe the Tervuren, Sheepdog, and Malinois can all occur within the same litter. All are essentially Malinois. Just different coat types and colors.

General- The thought of buying an 'unspoiled breed' thinking that a more wolfy look will be healthier, less overbred, of generally a better pet can be a BIG mistake. Quality breeding (NOT the same as simply having AKC, etc. 'papers') should should result in a healthier, more suitable pet for you. The problem comes from the novice dog buyer actually finding the correct breeder with all the advertising, misrepresentation out there.

Biggest mistake I see pet owners make is buying based on looks and not performance and buying from the first litter they see. This will be a 10-15 year member of your family. Look at several litters before buying. You'll thank yourself later for not being rash.

Just my $0.02
Whoever said you can't buy happiness must not have had to pay for their Spyderco's. :spyder:
aero_student

Post by aero_student »

I appreciate your info; this is something I'm in absolutely no hurry about. I'm willing to wait however long it takes to find the right dog for me and my family.

I've had purebreds and pound puppes and have had friends with both and I love both. It's just that this time I'm ready to find a specific and interesting dog that will fit my life.

Those malinois while interesting don't seem to be the right dog. From the breeders I could find they seem to be raised way too agressively for my lifestyle.

I'm going to be very thorough and meticulous about this just like everything else I do, it's too important of a decision not to be careful with.