What's in a screen name?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
whitefeather

What's in a screen name?

Post by whitefeather »

The meaning or significance of a screen name is sometimes obvious and sometimes not. If your's is not obvious would you like to share with us?

Mine is "whitefeather". What does that mean?

My screen name is in honor and respect of Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock. Gunny was a Marine Corps Sniper during the Viet Nam Conflict. A very good sniper! He was so good that the NVA put a large contract out on him. They called him Long Tra'ng which is Vietnamese for White Feather. He received this name because of the small white feather he wore in his hat. He earned a contract on his life because he was very good at his job!

Gunny received the Silver Star Award and a Purple Heart for his service. To learn more about this Hero and Patriot...Google..Carlos Hathcock

What's your screen name stand for?
KSDbass

Post by KSDbass »

Mine's not nearly as exciting as yours, my bass is made by Ken Smith Designs...
Custom avatar courtesy of Dialex!

Bill Brasky could destroy Chuck Norris.

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket
whitefeather

Post by whitefeather »

KSDbass wrote:Mine's not nearly as exciting as yours, my bass is made by Ken Smith Designs...
I'm not familiar with Ken Smith designs, where can I learn more?
Kaizen

Post by Kaizen »

I believe I remember that sniper story. That's the one where he shoots the other sniper through the guy's scope, right? Less than a second later, he would've been the one to die. Great story BTW.

My name is a fairly simple one. I have a tendency to think rather highly of myself. And it's in those moments when the chances of looking like a fool seems to increase, it also makes those experiences more painful. My screen name is a reminder to myself that I always have more to learn, no matter how great I'm so sure that I am at any given moment. It's my way of staying humble when I hear the "Oh, you're so smart..." comments. It's also a reminder that everyone's an ignoramus in some respect.
huugh

Post by huugh »

It's highly distinctive and cultivated response "Hu - ugh?" stolen from one old magazine article :)
Harry White

Post by Harry White »

Interesting thread!

My screen name is not my real name, but the name of a character in one of my favorite novels -- "The Demon" by Hubert Selby, Jr.

"Harry White is a man haunted by a satyr's lust and an obsessive need for sin and retribution. The more Harry succeeds (a good marriage, a good corporate job) the more desperate he becomes, as a life of petty crime leads to fraud and murder and, eventually, to apocalyptic violence."

A powerful read for those with a penchant for dark literature.

Users: SS Police PE, Delica 4 PE, Kopa Cocobolo, Blue Dodo SE, Yellow Pacific Salt PE, Micarta SPOT SE, Gray Calypso Jr, Temperance SE, Burgandy Jess Horn w/ZDP, UK Penknife, BB Delica 3 PE, Captain, CF Military w/BG-42, Lava, Caly3 SE, Para-Military SE, Manix CE, BB Para-Military SE, Delica 4 Wave, Ocelot CE, SpyderFly, Navigator II SE, Vagabond, D'Allara Drop Point CE, Black Assist I, Bug Set (and also: Sharpmaker, SS byrd Finch PE, Profile Set, byrd Firebyrd, Large Spyderpac, byrd Wings)
WOTANSON1

Post by WOTANSON1 »

WOTAN, pronounced "Votan" is the Germanic name of the primary God of my faith, known to most people as ODIN, also known as the "Allfather". My Religion is commonly referred to as "Odinism" though some practitioners prefer the term "Asatru". Detractors refer to my faith as "Neo Paganism/Heathenism". Since I identify most with Wotan, I refer to my self as Wotanson-son of Odin.
Cheers,
Rob
International Order of the SpyderEdge-founding member

Faith, Folk and Family

If you can read this, thank a Teacher.
If this is written in English, thank a US Soldier

NOT my "president"

Proud Member of SOSAK
squad314

Post by squad314 »

Our City's Heavy Rescue company is Rescue 5,or commonly referred to as "The Squad".I served on this truck for seven years and enjoyed it very much....314 is my departmental personel number.I am currently assigned to Engine 4,a busy company that I like alot too.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear.
Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray »

My name .., although I don't go by Stevie much anymore .. except with certain females ... :D
Steve
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Many years ago, when I was doing mobile home service work for a living, we were talking about telephones. We had discovered that it cost more to have an unlisted number than a listed one :confused: Since we were all poor (heck, why was I worried, I didn't even have a phone) we were making up names to put our phones under so people wouldn't be calling us out in what little free time we had. I wound up with the moniker "Zachariah Barnabus Yablanowitz (spelled just like it sounds, Wojo).

I know I'm not the only Jack Rich in the world, but for some reason, yablanowitz never seems to be "already in use" when I pick a user name to register under :D
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
lerman

Post by lerman »

well it's my last name, my full name is lee lerman :) .
florijn

Post by florijn »

florijn = the former Dutch currency (coin),
way back before the Euro and the Dutch Guilder.

Some 8 years ago I was inspired by a guys ebay account name
"the all mighty dollar"
So I thought as a Dutchman why not the Dutch currency for me :)
My addiction
--------------------------------------------
Patience is never more important than when you are on the verge of losing it.
bigkahunasix

Post by bigkahunasix »

Had a couple of crazy surfer types in my squad in the USMC. It went from nickname to radio call sign by adding the "six" designator showing I was the team leader. A bit of personal nostalgia. Bigk6

By the way Whitefeather, Gunny Hathcock was an instructor when I went thru sniper school at Quantico, Va. He had been medically retired by then but had been hired by the Corps to work as a civilian instructor. A truly great man and great instructor. He deserved the Medal of Honor for his deeds. I picked his brain whenever I could. Bigk6
Been packing at least two Spyderco knives a day since 1984

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Pretty simple here: Dr. Snubnose....I have dual PhD's, one in Clinical Psychology and one in Social Psychiarty...The .357 Snubnose gun is my favorite all time SD firearm.....Dr. Snubnose is the screen name that I started with on some of the gun forums so I kept it for this forum sign up....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
whitefeather

Screen Name

Post by whitefeather »

Hey Doc

I'm so glad that you chimed in here. I always enjoy reading your post.
raven

Post by raven »

My screen name also happens to be my nickname. It's all kind of coincidental.......I'm also half Cherokee. Anyway, I got the nickname when I was a kid.....I had long jet black hair. The nickname "Raven" just kind of stuck. Well it carried over into my racing.........I wore and still wear an all black uniform. The other racers got wind of my nickname.........and well there you have it ;) . Take Good Care.

God Bless :)

-raven-
ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

whitefeather wrote:The meaning or significance of a screen name is sometimes obvious and sometimes not. If your's is not obvious would you like to share with us?

Mine is "whitefeather". What does that mean?

My screen name is in honor and respect of Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock. Gunny was a Marine Corps Sniper during the Viet Nam Conflict. A very good sniper! He was so good that the NVA put a large contract out on him. They called him Long Tra'ng which is Vietnamese for White Feather. He received this name because of the small white feather he wore in his hat. He earned a contract on his life because he was very good at his job!

Gunny received the Silver Star Award and a Purple Heart for his service. To learn more about this Hero and Patriot...Google..Carlos Hathcock

What's your screen name stand for?
The Gunny was awesome. Very nice, polite, soft-spoken man. I got to speak to him on the phone once. It was one of the most profound honors of my life.

My sniper instructor was a student of Gunny Hathcock's and our training program was taken directly from Hathcock's curriculum. And it was excellent!

On most other forums that I frequent, my screen name is Long Rifle (snipers utilize long rifles, and it's a kind of nick-name). I tried to get that screen name here when I first came aboard, but it said it was taken. So I'm just JimD. here. :D
Referee in the Bowels of ****
Email: ST8PEN01@aol.com
Artwork For Sale

"...We few, we happy few...we band of brothers...For whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare

If you are not willing to stand behind our troops, by all means, please stand in front of them!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Mine comes from a piece of WW II "nose art" originally painted by a gentleman named Don Allen on a P-47 Thunderbolt based in England. It appealed to both my interest in WW II aviation and my basic irreverence. Have been using it since my days of playing online pinochle.

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Agent Starling

Post by Agent Starling »

interesting forum, you guys...

in my case, all 3 Hannibal movies/books, and both the Hannibal and Clarice characters, had a very special resonance for me, really struck a nerve, in a good way, when I discovered them quite by accident last September :) ...a hybrid of the two characters would probably be most appropriate, but since I'm female, I chose Starling...
Hannibal for the music thing and the literature thing; I've played classical piano all my life, have science degrees and am now in school pursuing an advanced degree in the medical field...also the European manners, I was raised to be extremely polite due to European parentage and have lived there for a couple years as well...
Starling because she's kind of a tomboy like me, not your typical "girly girl", a little bit prim and proper, and I had at one point during a fork in the road of my career considered joining the FBI, possibly becoming a special agent, or becoming a PI...and I like how Starling can defend herself...I've long had an interest in learning self defense and it all sort of came together for me last year, to learn about all this...

...anyway, way too long of a post, but this subject is near and dear to my heart! :spyder: :eek: :cool: :D

Ex Special Agent Clarice M. Starling :cool: :spyder: :cool:
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
Th232

Post by Th232 »

As for me, used to be U238 (not a U-boat, as some people thought), but when I finished school, I decided to decay.

<Insert cries of "NERD!" here>
Will

"No one wants to look the fool. Everyone does the best they can. If they knew better, they'd do better" - old woman on the railway tracks to Sal.