Wireless networks and wifi detectors?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
vampyrewolf

Wireless networks and wifi detectors?

Post by vampyrewolf »

ok, getting tired of having to plug my laptop in when I want to get online. May as well use the internal wireless modem.

What do you guys recommend for wireless routers (already know about encryption and securing them via mac address only)? Not going D-link, so you can forget about that :p

Also, I know of 7-8 hotspots around the city (1 is an internet cafe a couple km from here, another one is an online gaming shop with an 8Mbit/s wireless network), would like to find a few more. Anyone have a wifi detector or know of plans to build one (short of using the plans from work)?
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
Bodieism

Post by Bodieism »

I recommend the Belkin N1 or the Belkin Pre-N.

I have the N1 and I am very impressed with it. It works everywhere in my house with absolutely no problems. Also with one of their cards (they claim) you can achieve up to 300 mbps (I haven't got to test this out yet though). The thing I like best about it is the range. I actually walked outside to the end of my driveway and my tablet said I still had a good connection. It claims to have a 1400ft range on the box it came in though I very seriously doubt it will come anywhere close to that in real world tests. I picked mine up from the local Circuit City but I ordered it online b/c they give you a 60 dollar discount.
-- Bodie

Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione!
cgjones

Post by cgjones »

I've got a Motorola that I've been happy with. If I was going to buy a new one, I would probably go with Linksys.

To find WAP's, I would just use my laptop with a program like Kismet or NetStumbler.
Carson
hornshwangler

Post by hornshwangler »

I have Linksys and am using their wireless gateway. Very easy and quick to setup and maintain. I have Mac equipment with built in wireless and never have a problem finding & connecting to hotspots anywhere.
The Dude Abides.
SeanH

Post by SeanH »

I agree about avoiding D-Link.

Like others here I recommend Linksys. I use a wrt54gx2 and get a very good connection all over my property and passable at my neighbor's house.

Re a hotspot detector:
I have not found much use for them cause I can always search online. For example, here is a list of hotspots within a 10 mile radius of Saskatoon. There are probably more that other hotspot list will show...

Hope this helps.

Sean
>>The Spyderco Forum Cookbook ... and its thread<<

Think about what you believe, but don't believe everything you think.

"We feel that to "charge as much as the market will bear" is "to bite the hand that feeds you"."
Sal Glesser
EarthDog

Post by EarthDog »

My current router is a Netgear. It gives great service all over the house and out by the pool. I had a Linksys before, but it broke.

My new laptop has a built in wireless card. It lets me know if there is a wireless network in range.
EarthDog
zeus

Post by zeus »

Netgear Wireless G

Set it and forget it.
chinook

Post by chinook »

I am very pleased with my two Buffalo WHR-HP-G54's
Linked in bridge mode with my neighbor, I've never had ro rework the connection since I set it up 6 months ago.

I have a Trendnet TEW-429UB detector that works pretty well. Shows SSID and what kind of security is employed on detected networks. ...and it functions as a G54 USB adator also.
.><CHINOOK*>
SeanH

Post by SeanH »

>>The Spyderco Forum Cookbook ... and its thread<<

Think about what you believe, but don't believe everything you think.

"We feel that to "charge as much as the market will bear" is "to bite the hand that feeds you"."
Sal Glesser