materials for making a knife?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Falch

materials for making a knife?

Post by Falch »

i read a post some days ago, where someone linked to a finish web page who sold knife materials. anyone can help me?
i need some leather for a sheet for my CS gurka kukri knife also. the nylon sheet it came with was totaly crap, cut in half on my first trip into the wild :)

im also thinking of making my own knife, but im not gifted with the blacksmithing skill, or in the posession of a plase to prosess metal...so i was wondering is it possible to buy pieces of say vg10 steel and prosess it with a file and/or metal saw?

i have idea for a SD/utiliy/throwing thing "knife" idea for close "combat" inspired by a chinese Anime series, naruto, that i want to make.

its supposed to be held as a brass knuckle, with the spike down.

any thoughts?

Falch
rolyat1978

Post by rolyat1978 »

I'm not sure how effective it will be at throwing, and it looks to be illegal(at least in my state-learn your local laws before creating, if you plan to carry)...
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

I'm not sure if I know the website you are refering to, but here are a few

http://www.knifekits.com/
http://www.sheffieldsupply.com/
http://www.texasknife.com/

A few comments on your design:
It does look cool, in a mall ninja sort of way. I'm sure it would work just fine as a self defence weapon, but it does look illegal even if it is legal in your area and the grip does not look comfortable under any force. I really doubt it would work for utility. For me a folder is much qicker and easier to pull out, cut, and put away than a fixed blade, not to mention of the sheeple reaction to a blade like that. And for throwing, I bet it would work much better if the blade lined up with the handle. Maybe more of a kerambit style handle could remedy some of these problems. But it's your design, if you do decide to build it, let us know!

Sorry for criticizing you so much on your first post; Welcome to the forum!
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

VG10 isn't available on the market here that I'm aware of. There are some other really good steels that come in all practical sizes and thicknesses.

You can make a knife with Files, Saw, Sandpaper, and a drill, and of course vice . You could then send the knife away for professional heat treating as that's where the most knives are messed up.

For a throwing knife I'd try a carbon steel. Plain, basic carbon with a spring temper. Not exactly a spyderco but who wants to throw their spyderco?

Google knifemaking supplies. You'll be amazed. I used 1050 for my first knife. Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

As Cobrajoe already pointed, this is a mall ninja sort of thing.
Please don't take it as a way to offend you but I would rather see you making a real knife.
As Joe "The Mastiff" said, you don't need a lot of expensive machinery to make really nice and high quality knives.
I'm sure that if you need any advice or help to do so, other knifemakers here will surely like to help you and so will I.
I hope you will aim a little higher with your next design.
All your knifelinks, http://www.knifelinksportal.com
Falch

Post by Falch »

well, its not realy my design, its almost a total rip off from the anime serie, i thought i looked cool, but its a total copy...im going to make some changes, maby make the angels more curved and such.
yeah, i know its not legal, im not aiming for a legal knife, im also not going to use it in public, got my D4 for that, this one is motsly for the fun of it.

i have been throwing knifes for about 3-4 years now, and most of them, wrong shaped or not, i get to stick.
its all in the adaption of how you throw the different knifes from each other...im thinking this one could work as a knife/axe in throwing...

but ye, il post some more pics when i get to polish the design.

also got som other designs im goin to post soon..for fixed blades..

and thanks for the welcome, critisism is good! helps develop and polish ideas!
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

Cool, that sounds like a better use for a knife like that (no offense :D ).

Might I make a couple suggestions then?

Maybe take a few design ideas from brass knuckles:
The finger holes make a little bit of an arch (the fingers usually aren't lined up when grasping something)
And a palm pad type thing would be great, that way you wouldn't be relying on your fingers to take the force of punching.

Also, I'd recommend not sharpening the area below where the thumb is, it seems like you could easily cut yourself there.

Keep us updated if you decide to build it, it sounds like something fun :D
Falch

Post by Falch »

cobrajoe: hmm, not bad idea! when you started to talk about the thumb thing, i got an idea to make maby like som jimping, like on the spine of the various spydercos..to rest the thumb on...and the other stuff, yeah, they are coming on the next drawing..this was a sketch of sorts..
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Jantz Supply has EVERYTHING you could need for leather. http://www.knifemaking.com, 800-351-8000.