Any offical word from Spyderco?!?!?!?!?!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
severedthumbs

Any offical word from Spyderco?!?!?!?!?!

Post by severedthumbs »

Spyderco officals how about any info regarding the Benchmade Vex and the use of the Spyderhole. :confused: This would clear up a lot of confusion.
JD Spydo

Not worth the worry

Post by JD Spydo »

severedthumbs wrote:Spyderco officals how about any info regarding the Benchmade Vex and the use of the Spyderhole. :confused: This would clear up a lot of confusion.
severdthumbs I 1000% agree with you that the entire matter is totally disgusting. But I would be willing to bet that Sal is going to be very calm and classy about this whole thing.

But you know something? I'm glad that they did that. That shows me unequivocally what caliber of people that they are to copy cat someone else's idea and innovation. I too am disappointed because I have some of their knives in my collection. But they are about to find new homes.

What's so bad about this one is that it is so totally blatant :(
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Andre V

Post by Andre V »

I know it wont happen, but it would be nice to see Sal fit an axis lock to one of his folders.

It would be interesting to see how benchmade would react. :rolleyes:

It makes you think, that if a company is willing to be so underhanded as too steal patented ideas, what other underhanded things would they do.

I admit i own quite a few BM's, they are nice knives. Stunts like the ripping-off of the Spyder hole, (and this is not the first time either), make me wonder why i am supporting a company that does things like that. :mad:
"So many knives, so little pockets"
Zac

Post by Zac »

When Mr. Marfione told his best customers and some of the nicest people on Microholics.org to essentially go and %$#@ themselves, I progressively sold off my Microtechs.

A similar thing happened with Benchmade.

[BI]Anyone remember Blade Show 1992 when Al Mar was chasing Les around the building? Anyone remember WHY? ;) [/I]
WARNING: Sanity not guaranteed.
fishshooter

Post by fishshooter »

I know it wont happen, but it would be nice to see Sal fit an axis lock to one of his folders.
They kind of did, just modified it and called it "ball bearing" instead of "axis". Look how they both work. Maybe BM should have made the hole oval or something.
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

severedthumbs wrote:Spyderco officals how about any info regarding the Benchmade Vex and the use of the Spyderhole. :confused: This would clear up a lot of confusion.
If there was an official "stance" on the issue, it would be wrapped up in lawyereeze. Lawyers always make everyone say, "No comment." So there isn't much chance of any word coming out if anything legal was going on. Even if there is nothing legal going on, anything stated here or anywhere will be worded very carefully.

Not to mention the last I heard, Sal was out of the country, so something like this isn't going to be addressed on short notice.
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
severedthumbs

Post by severedthumbs »

I would assume we could get a yes or no. I don't think they would be advised against that. I know they couldn't get into any details but a yes or no shouldn't be a problem.

I guess we should take Spyderco's silence as no Benchmade did not have permission.
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

fishshooter wrote:They kind of did, just modified it and called it "ball bearing" instead of "axis". Look how they both work. Maybe BM should have made the hole oval or something.
From what I understand of the both, while similar are very different. It's kinda like comparing emerson's disc thingy to say a thumb stud. They both perform the same function in similar ways but are quiet different in their construction.
"Always keep an edge on your knife son, because a good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life."
dedguy.net
severedthumbs

Post by severedthumbs »

yep totally different, the only similarity is that they both lock the blade open.
4 s ter

Post by 4 s ter »

severedthumbs wrote:I guess we should take Spyderco's silence as no Benchmade did not have permission.
I think the only thing you have to take from "Spyderco's silence" is that it's a weekend and maybe Sal isn't available 24/7 to respond immediately every time an issue arises.

The computer is a wonderful thing, but the era of immediate communication has led people to believe that every communication must be immediate. They don't. People have lives that involve lots besides sitting in front of a computer waiting for an issue to come up for them to respond to immediately.

I think you can take much more from Benchmade's silence. If they had permission, I'm sure it would have entailed them giving credit to Spyderco for use of the trademarked opening hole. Not giving credit was a large part of what ended the licencing deal for the round hole on the Benchmade AFCK. Boker, on the other hand, and many custom makers who use the round hole under licence, have no problem giving credit to Spyderco for its intellectual property.
David

"Not all who wander are lost"
"To liner or not to liner? That is the question?" -- Sal
"Rule number nine: always carry a knife." -- Special Agent Jethro Gibbs/NCIS ;)
naggalowmo

Post by naggalowmo »

Zac wrote:Anyone remember Blade Show 1992 when Al Mar was chasing Les around the building? Anyone remember WHY? ]

For those who werent in the knife community back then could you explain?
"There's always something waiting at the end of the road. If you're not willing to see what it is, you probably shouldn't be out there in the first place."
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

[quote="Zac"]Anyone remember Blade Show 1992 when Al Mar was chasing Les around the building? Anyone remember WHY? ]Don't think this is the place for that, but if you ever feel like PMing or emailing it to me, I'd LOVE to hear that story. :D

Aside from that, I think 4 s ter, as usual, has said it better and more politely than I could.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
fishshooter

Post by fishshooter »

severedthumbs wrote:yep totally different, the only similarity is that they both lock the blade open.
Comparing the disc to the thumbstud is a good analogy, but they function the same way. Look at the cut aways for each. You could make they same type lock with a 100 different shaped catches and spring configurations, it's still the same principle.
STR

Post by STR »

I understand the curiousity as we all have a big ? about BM using the round hole in that folder. BM. IE Les has done other things in the past that have already made up my mind about the company. I decided then and there that they would not get my support anymore regardless of how good the knife may be. All but two very old BMs I have have been given away or sold off at this time. I have one new BenchMade HK29 and it was given to me as a gift by a very dear friend so I will keep that one but they will not see another dime from me for reasons I can't go into on a public forum.

As I said I understand the curious ?s and wanting to know but asking Sal or any rep from Spyderco to comment about this on a public forum or even privately is about akin to asking President Bush to share with you what really goes on behind the scenes in the oval office. He can't say anything and I'd be shocked if he did say anything public or private except to his closest confidants. There is an old saying that actions speak louder than words. I'd recommend looking for any actions over asking for any public feedback.

STR
It is not necessary to do extraordinary things in life but only to do ordinary things extraordinarily well.

STR's Blog
severedthumbs

Post by severedthumbs »

again I do not see the problem with a simple yay or nay. we are not talking about national security here, just simple statement of permission or not to use a trademark.
STR

Post by STR »

Not gonna happen would be my guess. It isn't national security no but it is a touchy situation regarding law. No offense to anyone here but in my opinion its an insult to Sal's intelligence to even think he is going to say anything publically about it. The fact that he has not should be an indication to you right there. If it was legit you'd already know it. At least that is my guess.

STR
It is not necessary to do extraordinary things in life but only to do ordinary things extraordinarily well.

STR's Blog
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Yeah, I saw TazKristi on last night a couple times. I figured like Paul said since she moved a thread you know that at least her or another mod has seen these threads.

The fact that she didn't say "yes they have permission" should be an indicator.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
fishshooter

Post by fishshooter »

Anybody know which patent covers the "hole" ? In his first(I believe it's the 1st) knife patent, he refers to it as a depression. In the drawing you can clearly see the hole.
"The enlarged portion 33 and the depression 34 are useful to the user in opening the blade from its closed position using one hand. Preferably, the thumb of one hand engages with the depression 34 while the back of the knife adjacent to the separator 15 fits against the palm of the hand. "
severedthumbs

Post by severedthumbs »

fishshooter you are just beating a dead cow. nothing to see here, just move on.
Zac

Post by Zac »

The Deacon wrote:Don't think this is the place for that, but if you ever feel like PMing or emailing it to me, I'd LOVE to hear that story. :D

Aside from that, I think 4 s ter, as usual, has said it better and more politely than I could.
You have a PM :)
WARNING: Sanity not guaranteed.