Custom Knives

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
dedguy

Custom Knives

Post by dedguy »

I recently placed an order with Tony Lopes via one of our French board members, arzh. This has made me realize I've completely ignored an avenue for collecting of blades, perhaps the best one. Custom blades. **** a lot of knife makers are charging about the same as some (some may say over priced) production blade manufacturers (I won't name names).

So I guess what I'm asking is who do you like? How do you buy from them? I am not a fan of exotic handle materials or high polished blades. I'm more into finely machined technical knives and hand made blades that look hand made.

I really dig some of Fred Perrin's stuff and probally like Tony Lopes, whom I understand is his apprentice or something similar, even better. Their work has a charm to it due to it's influence from older traditional blades while still having a modern unique edge to it.

I also really dig Armand Palacio's balisongs and he's the only maker I've found that I like who has a website online where he sells his blades.
http://www.pandayanblades.com/

I'm really considering buying one of his Balisong's right now even though I'm not a big Bali fan and have never had the dexterity to manipulate them with any grace.

So who do you guys like?
"Always keep an edge on your knife son, because a good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life."
dedguy.net
Piet.S

Post by Piet.S »

Here you can find makers from all over the world,
http://www.knifelinksportal.com/

Here is a free E-mag with a strong focus on custom work,
http://www.thefineredge.com/

Most of the Dutch and Belgian makers featured here I know in person and I can tell that each one of them is as devoted and talented as they come.
Knifecrazy for sure.

And there is my good friend and knifebro Martin Annegarn,
http://www.maknives.nl
The perfect finish he gives his knives is something to see and inspiring as well,
you just don't want to show any sloppy work to friends that turn out this grade of work.

Hope you like it Dedguy, there are a lot of good craftsmen out there.
Btw, some real talented ladies too.
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

hey dedguy,
for me, if a :spyder: custom collaboration impresses me, I do a search.....e.g. I knew very little about Ken Onion or R.J. Martin....until I got the Spyker and Kumo......I enjoy reading knifereviews especially Cliff Stamp's and now I've been checking out the "classic" Bob Dozier offerings.....
Good sites to surf include BladeArt.com or Knifeart.com or Steel Addiction...**** the annoying revolving banners on the knifeforums website will probably point you in the right direction.... :rolleyes:
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

Yeah I like some of Ken Onion's stuff but the ones I like are currently out of my price range. Some of the knives that where unfortunatly stolen from him where beautiful.
"Always keep an edge on your knife son, because a good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life."
dedguy.net
Jimmy_Dean

Post by Jimmy_Dean »

I browse around the internet and knife mags and see if something catches my eye. I usually don't buy it right away but it something stays with me and I itch to try, they I track one down. It can go from calling the maker directly, exchanging a few emails to finding a dealer that carries what I like

I really like RJ martin, Bob Dozier, Strider, Charles May, people like that
see what you like and try it, you may be very surprised
WORKER#9

Post by WORKER#9 »

Dav Winch and Anso do some awesome work with the Spyder hole!
severedthumbs

Post by severedthumbs »

Ken Onion
Tim Galyean
custom Strider
Allen Elishweitz
Tom Mayo
Greg Lightfoot
Emerson customs
Todd Begg glimpse
Kirby Lambert
DB Fraley

These are a few of my favorites, some are affordable and some are not.
TheKnifeCollector

Post by TheKnifeCollector »

I have been collecting custom knives for awhile now!! Congrats on ordering your first one.
There are alot of makers that I like.
Matt Cucchiara
Rick Hinderer
Tom Krein
Patrick Nihiser
Jens Anso
Kevin Wilkins
Darrel Ralph
Shane Sibert
Allen Elishweitz
Tom Mayo
Greg Lightfoot
Todd Begg
Kirby Lambert
Tim Galyean

That will do for now.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

it's just a taste thing and is nothing against the craftsmanship of Mr Anso but I really don't like his stuff at all and don't see the appeal.
dedguy.net
severedthumbs

Post by severedthumbs »

dedguy wrote:it's just a taste thing and is nothing against the craftsmanship of Mr Anso but I really don't like his stuff at all and don't see the appeal.
I like his stuff, but I can see what you are saying. Personally I do not like Fred Perrin's stuff. It looks very rough and unfinished, it looks amateurish at best to me.
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

I like the rustic look of Perrin's stuff. I also like machined looking blades. I think above all my favorite knives are always those that are 100% metal with no other materials used. The all stainless spyders are always my favorites as far as looks.
dedguy.net
Django

Post by Django »

Check out Kevin Wilkins. Very technical designs IMO. (Cost quite a bit though :eek: )
----------------------------
----------------------------
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

i've been admiring Trace Rinaldi's stuff too....and "toying" with the idea of an R.J. Martin Rampage.... :rolleyes:
brian
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

Armand's Balis are quite solid, and are actually excellent flippers for the price. Hand's down the best value for a custom Bali. You can get any blade profile you want, without waiting 3 years and shelling out a grand. Around $200 are the most expensive, and they're large. A standard size Bali will run you about $175, and they flip very well.

Lock up isn't the best in the open position, but who really locks a Bali open(not me).

Apart from Armand, whom you mentioned, I've had good experiences with several makers.

David Mosier- The best grinds of any maker, EVER. This includes all the high priced, decade long waiting list famous knifemakers. David's grinds are flawless in every aspect, and his knives are exceptionally well made, at a very reasonable price.

Les Voorhies- Have only had Balis from him, but all have been exception. Sharpest blades I own, and they're gorgeous, well balanced, and again, reasonably priced.

I see no reason to shell out $$$ for what basically amounts to the name, when I can get a better product for less.

Perhaps if I had more money to spend, I'd think differently, but on my budget, I like the "little" guys.
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

I am always of the mindset that I'm willing to spend money for something that's worth it but not spend money just because I have it and can. It's the reason I gravitated to Spyderco. You pay a fair amount of money for their product compared to cheap knives but you get the finest quality and you get what you pay for.
dedguy.net
severedthumbs

Post by severedthumbs »

smcfalls13 wrote:

David Mosier- The best grinds of any maker, EVER. This includes all the high priced, decade long waiting list famous knifemakers.
ummmm, sorry but no!
deeker

Post by deeker »

On this forum there is CKE and butch, who both do nice custom work. Maybe they'd be interested in helping you out with something...? Supporting our own, so to speak.
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

severedthumbs wrote:ummmm, sorry but no!
We're all entitled to our opinion. ;)
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

Kit Carson, Tim Herman (want to drool, check out his Sliver line), Hossom, Tichbourne, CKE ;) , and of course we have to add CLB to the list now that he's got stuff out :p

Liked LHK while he still made em, but Ron just up and dropped off the map a couple years back. Last I heard he was driving in the oil patch a year ago, no idea where he is now.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

smcfalls13 wrote:...
David Mosier- The best grinds of any maker, EVER. This includes all the high priced, decade long waiting list famous knifemakers. David's grinds are flawless in every aspect, and his knives are exceptionally well made, at a very reasonable price...

Funny you mentioned him Scott...
I love the lines on his Recurve Necker:
http://www.acutabovecustomcutlery.com/i ... ecurve.jpg

I've often wondered about picking up one of these..... ;) :cool:
brian