Rip Syd Barret

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Civilian

Rip Syd Barret

Post by Civilian »

Pink Floyd founding member died at age 60. Even though he has been out of the spotlight for sometime he is still missed!
Rest in Peace!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/5169344.stm
MAT :spyder: TER
Just-American
WTC#1511
"Hunt You Down All Nightmare Long!"
"Civilian Lovers appreciate nice curves" insp. by Dr. Snubnose
Rebeltruce

Post by Rebeltruce »

R.I.P Syd......Wish you were here....
JD Spydo

Old stuff was good but.......

Post by JD Spydo »

I used to have one of Pink Floyd's older Albums with Syd Barrett still in the group. It had a song on it called "See Emily Play" that was really cool. Unfortanately Mr. Barrett had a lot of problems from what I heard. Roger Waters did quite well with the group. I liked Pink Floyd's earlier stuff but after their "Ummagumma" LP I pretty much lost interest in them. I saw them in concert once and it was a real disappointment to all of us who went.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

I'm happy to see a few people still remembered him. Tragic life for Syd and I hope he has peace in his world now.

JD, thats pretty much when I lost interest in them. I think when they hit commercially with Dark Side of the Moon, something changed. I saw them on early tours here in Boston in small venues, Boston Tea Party, Music Hall, and Orphium Theatre, in '69, 70, 71, and 73. Something got lost when they started to play the arenas.
Harry White

Post by Harry White »

Let's hope Syd is not relegated to a footnote in rock history. He had a brief but very original and influential creative period from 1965-1968. Unfortunately, most will remember him as a classic "acid casualty" of the '60s.
Users: SS Police PE, Delica 4 PE, Kopa Cocobolo, Blue Dodo SE, Yellow Pacific Salt PE, Micarta SPOT SE, Gray Calypso Jr, Temperance SE, Burgandy Jess Horn w/ZDP, UK Penknife, BB Delica 3 PE, Captain, CF Military w/BG-42, Lava, Caly3 SE, Para-Military SE, Manix CE, BB Para-Military SE, Delica 4 Wave, Ocelot CE, SpyderFly, Navigator II SE, Vagabond, D'Allara Drop Point CE, Black Assist I, Bug Set (and also: Sharpmaker, SS byrd Finch PE, Profile Set, byrd Firebyrd, Large Spyderpac, byrd Wings)
Senate

Post by Senate »

listening to the Dark Side of the Moon right now, the surround version (DTS4.1). it's still magic after all these years...

RiP Syd
Alexandre.
-------------------------------------------------
Spyderco WTC#1978
JD Spydo

Post Barrett

Post by JD Spydo »

Senate wrote:listening to the Dark Side of the Moon right now, the surround version (DTS4.1). it's still magic after all these years...

RiP Syd
Just remember though that Syd Barrett had left them far before that Album was released. Albeit I wouldn't deny that he might have had some inadvertent input on later albums. But from what I heard he was really in a bad way in that time period :( .

The Album I had that had the song "See Emily Play" was an import album on the EMI record label. At the time I had excellent connections for import and bootleg albums. I don't know if it was even available in the USA or not. Although I think I did hear that they had some sort of a greatest hits album that had that song on it. The Album was just called PINK FLOYD and had really neat pics of them on the front. There was another album that I had that had Syd Barrett on it but the name of it escapes me at this time (Crap it's been 30 + years). The album cover had some astronomy picture on it I remember. My parents put up with a lot of my music but Pink Floyd and Hawkwind would always get their wrath and fury at it's worst :o :D
Senate

Post by Senate »

JD Spydo wrote:Just remember though that Syd Barrett had left them far before that Album was released. Albeit I wouldn't deny that he might have had some inadvertent input on later albums. But from what I heard he was really in a bad way in that time period :( .

The Album I had that had the song "See Emily Play" was an import album on the EMI record label. At the time I had excellent connections for import and bootleg albums. I don't know if it was even available in the USA or not. Although I think I did hear that they had some sort of a greatest hits album that had that song on it. The Album was just called PINK FLOYD and had really neat pics of them on the front. There was another album that I had that had Syd Barrett on it but the name of it escapes me at this time (Crap it's been 30 + years). The album cover had some astronomy picture on it I remember. My parents put up with a lot of my music but Pink Floyd and Hawkwind would always get their wrath and fury at it's worst :o :D
After I discovered my mistake I deleted my post immediately... you type faster than I delete :)
now we know that I like Pink Floyd but I'm no hardcore fan :rolleyes:
Alexandre.
-------------------------------------------------
Spyderco WTC#1978
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

JD, I believe the album you refer to is their first and the song might well have been the first "hit", at least in America. That's going way back...'67,'68,'69???
JD Spydo

IT was their first

Post by JD Spydo »

greencobra wrote:JD, I believe the album you refer to is their first and the song might well have been the first "hit", at least in America. That's going way back...'67,'68,'69???
I got that album in 1969. I know that it had been released for a while already. But I can't think of the name of that other Floyd album that had that astronomy type picture on it. It was a British Import as well but I think they also released it here in the USA too. Some of the albums I had when I was young especially a lot of the underground groups I bet would be worth a pretty nickel if I still had them. I got that one album about when Abbey Road by the Beatles was released.

I also had Alice Cooper's first 2 Albums before anyone even knew who they were on the STRAIGHT record label. I was recently told that both of them in relatively good condition were worth $500 each. I bet that British Import of Floyd would bring some big bucks also. It sure is easy to look back :o
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

i'd be more broken up if he had been making music for the last 30 years or so which he really hasn't. i was more upset about Cash going even though it really seemed to be his time.
"Always keep an edge on your knife son, because a good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life."
dedguy.net
HoB

Post by HoB »

I will confess that I really like some of their newer stuff. "Delicate Sound of Thunder" might be my favorite live album, period (together with Rush's "Show of Hands")
Civilian

Post by Civilian »

JD Spydo wrote:The Album I had that had the song "See Emily Play" was an import album on the EMI record label.
A Great song! It was available on the U.S. release of Pink Floyd's first album "The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn", though it is not on the re-release edition availble now.
Most of my Pink Floyd Cd's were stolen around ten years ago and I now have "homemade versions" of the first several albums with bonus tracks!
Theres nothing better than putting on a blacklight and cranking up the early stuff!
Just-American
WTC#1511
Civilian

Post by Civilian »

JD Spydo wrote: But I can't think of the name of that other Floyd album that had that astronomy type picture on it.
The second Pink Floyd album was A SAUCERFUL OF SECRETS "Set the controls for the heart of the sun" is my favorite track off of it.
The album was half Syd Barett and half David Gilmore.
Just-American
WTC#1511
Civilian

Post by Civilian »

Digging deeper http://www.geocities.com/lyrics_archive ... yd/a_7.htm i found that "See Emily Play" was also on RELICS which I have on Vinyl from way back when. It has a great mix of songs from the first few albums!
Just-American
WTC#1511
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: We can all learn from Syd, schizophrenics should not eat acid. :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
Harry White

Post by Harry White »

Civilian wrote:Digging deeper http://www.geocities.com/lyrics_archive ... yd/a_7.htm i found that "See Emily Play" was also on RELICS which I have on Vinyl from way back when. It has a great mix of songs from the first few albums!
relics was my second PF album -- i picked it up after getting the wall as a birthday gift (it had just come out -- i think i was 11 years old!). i was really into them for a long time as a teenager. saw them live but without waters, who is the most "essential" member of the band in the post-barret era IMHO. but did see waters with clapton during the pros and cons of hitchhiking tour (which was great!).

relics brings back a lot of memories. i should dig it up from the basement (and connect my phonograph/record player... :o ) and play it again....
Users: SS Police PE, Delica 4 PE, Kopa Cocobolo, Blue Dodo SE, Yellow Pacific Salt PE, Micarta SPOT SE, Gray Calypso Jr, Temperance SE, Burgandy Jess Horn w/ZDP, UK Penknife, BB Delica 3 PE, Captain, CF Military w/BG-42, Lava, Caly3 SE, Para-Military SE, Manix CE, BB Para-Military SE, Delica 4 Wave, Ocelot CE, SpyderFly, Navigator II SE, Vagabond, D'Allara Drop Point CE, Black Assist I, Bug Set (and also: Sharpmaker, SS byrd Finch PE, Profile Set, byrd Firebyrd, Large Spyderpac, byrd Wings)
Civilian

Post by Civilian »

Harry White wrote:(and connect my phonograph/record player... :o )
At least you have one, I am actualy looking to get one soon.
Just-American
WTC#1511
Crafft

Post by Crafft »

Senate wrote:After I discovered my mistake I deleted my post immediately... you type faster than I delete :)
now we know that I like Pink Floyd but I'm no hardcore fan :rolleyes:
I believe the song " Brain Damage " on DSOTM is about Syd Barret.

Listening to the older stuff sure brings back memories!!! I love Interstellar Overdrive :cool:
JD Spydo

Music Appreciation For Doctor Lecter

Post by JD Spydo »

Probably the most favorite "Post Syd Barrett" tune I liked by Pink Floyd and one we all played years ago at parties was on the "Ummagumma" album. It would be great theme music today for our esteemed Doctor Lecter :rolleyes: The tune was called "Several Species Of Small Furry Creatures Gathered Together In A Cave And Groovin With A Pict"

Now it's not a tune you would want to be playing if the "In Laws" are over for a visit or if you've invited the boss to dinner :rolleyes:

You probably wouldn't want to play it after waking up from a bad dream either :eek:

I can just see Doctor Lecter in my mind now glaring at his Hawkbills while listening to that tune :D