Tempur pedic

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
seaman

Tempur pedic

Post by seaman »

Before I invest 2.5 K, I would just like to know if there are any REAL users of this product and if it is what they claim it is? Does the mattress become softer with time? I would appreciate any input as I am looking to change my current mattress.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Yes they can get softer and there can be a dip in the material after time...I had the company down to inspect mine...and they talked their way around it in circles till I gave up...they did not replace the matress...I hate the thing the wife loves it though....FWIW....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

I have a tempur pedic foam pad thing and it is nice, I dont think the Mattres id worth it because they get softer overtime and you will sink into it more and more.

I think the Sleep Number system looks like a better product.
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

I'm curious, does the mattress give off a chemical smell when it is new? A former girlfriend bought a pillow made of that material and it smelled so bad of chemicals, we took it back.
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
Stormdrane

Post by Stormdrane »

I slept on one for a night, and at first I thought it was very comfortable. But after a while in one position, it seemed to make me feel hot and had me sweating. So I still had to wake up to roll over and let my side or back take a break and cool off.
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

zenheretic wrote:I'm curious, does the mattress give off a chemical smell when it is new? A former girlfriend bought a pillow made of that material and it smelled so bad of chemicals, we took it back.

yeah it does lol
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

zenheretic wrote:I'm curious, does the mattress give off a chemical smell when it is new? A former girlfriend bought a pillow made of that material and it smelled so bad of chemicals, we took it back.
Yes it does but will go away with time.... :D Doc
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Nilaman

Post by Nilaman »

I hear they aren't very good for um... recreational activities.
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

I have laid on one and any time I lay flat on my back on a bed my back hurts.That hurt faded away after 15 seconds of laying on on of these.
The real ones are not suppose to build any heat at all.
The smell will go away with a little time.I worked in a funature store for 7 years and all matreses stink when new,anything from a light new smell to some Sealys we got once that smelled just like dead fish.We had to open all of then up and air them out,the fish smell went away after a couple days.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
Lockback

Post by Lockback »

Nilaman wrote:I hear they aren't very good for um... recreational activities.
The last time I bought a mattress, I took an afternoon just to do a "test run" on several different ones - devote 15-20 minutes to each one, rather than just getting a quick impression. I tested a foam mattress (not a Tempur-Pedic, but similar) and had the same thought regarding "recreational activities" after sinking into it for about 30 seconds. I ended going with a conventional mattress with a foam top.
WORKER#9

Post by WORKER#9 »

I have had a Tempur for 7??? years, It is the single best purchase I ever made for my back. I actaully bought it before I injured my back. But when I sleep in a hotel bed or any other for that matter I can barely walk in the morning. The Tempur is a life saver for my back and I truly sleep better on it. The chemical smell, actaully polyerathane smell goes away. The bed is just super ball material in a foam form. I would say mine needs a to be replaced after about 7 to 8 years. It still works but has broken down a little. But I will buy another!!
Zac

Post by Zac »

they send me information every damned week.
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

I know the name Tempur because my wife is a nurse. They widely use Tempur matresses in hospitals. They like it a lot.
It's better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6
bk1

Post by bk1 »

I have had a bad back for 30+ years. We have had one of these for about 5 years and it is the BEST bed I ever had.
I can really tell the difference after sleeping on something else for a day or two--when sleeping on other types I wake up with major back pain and tingling in my toes-from nerves being pinched.
Keep in mind you can just buy the mattress and then put in on the box spring you have now (if it still is hard) or put it on a platform.
Good luck,
Bill

***tried a few of their pillows and could never get used to them
Joe Talmadge

Post by Joe Talmadge »

I have a pillow made out of the same memory foam, and can scarcely sleep on anything else anymore. Unbelieveably good for my neck and back. However, after 4-5 years it was very noticeably softer, enough so that it warranted replacement (I replaced it after 6 years, salesperson told me I should've done it after 5). I would hate to spend that much on a matress and have to do it again after 5ish years.

Joe
peacefuljeffrey

Post by peacefuljeffrey »

I have a bed frame that I made myself out of lumber (it's cool, very sturdy, and built high for under-bed storage). It's made for a "full" size mattress. I currently have a conventional mattress on it and have been considering getting a Tempur mattress because I, too, have been having back trouble. (If I sleep on my back at all, or even just lie down that way for a bit, my sacrum area tightens up badly for some reason. I get up walking like an old man... :( )

I coulda sworn I saw an ad for Tempur mattresses that showed the full size, in several "models", for under $200!

Sure, the King sized sets were up over $1000 and stuff, but anyone know what prices to expect if all you want is the mattress, and nothing more?

And how much are these pillows?

-Jeffrey
"Within this frame an ocean swells -- behind the smile -- I know it well..."
Joe Talmadge

Post by Joe Talmadge »

For $200, I'd guess that's a mattress pad, and not the mattress itself. The pillows are up to $150, a full-sized mattress I'd guess would be at least 10x that.
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

I am getting one first of the year and looked at them yesterday.
King size in the original was 1995.00,they have med firm and extrs firm in them now.They were higher in price.
They just got the pillows in.King was 99.00 and the smaller sizes were just a little lower.
I know the man that runs the place and he said that by the first of the year depending on oil prices they might be much cheaper.The price hs been going down on them sence they came out.The first king size they got in the original sold for 2995.00.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
peacefuljeffrey

Post by peacefuljeffrey »

Holy crap. :(

-Jeffrey
"Within this frame an ocean swells -- behind the smile -- I know it well..."