Newest Tools Unveiled

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
uhiforgot

Newest Tools Unveiled

Post by uhiforgot »

...And oddly enough, not knives. I'll be getting back into construction a few days a week now and decided to build myself a pair of boots as my old boots are begging to be put out of their misery :(

The past few days at work I've been modifying a pair of Red Wing 964's to be my ultimate workboot. First and foremost was a coating of Tufftoe that I applied so thick that I don't anticipate seeing that toe leather ever again, and Dremeled off the excess scraps from the mold that was used.

Most of the other stuff was easy to do: Changed out the original laces for the heavy duty taslan laces used on most other boots, traded out the stock insoles for Custom Comfort moldables, soaked the piss out of them with boot oil, and put on an American flag lace keeper just because it seemed appropriate.

The Native will be replacing my old Rescue as the main work knife, and I'll be rolling out the old Carhartts.

Now I can't wait to go out, get sweaty, sticky, and dirty... and build stuff :D

-Jeff
Attachments
With Native.JPG
With Native.JPG (73.92 KiB) Viewed 1279 times
Tufftoe Job.JPG
Tufftoe Job.JPG (59.04 KiB) Viewed 1275 times
On the counter.JPG
On the counter.JPG (71.08 KiB) Viewed 1281 times
In the box.JPG
In the box.JPG (58.53 KiB) Viewed 1277 times

A very wise man once told me "Eat to live; don't live to eat." ...To my knowledge that's the only stupid thing he's ever said.
BlackNinja

Post by BlackNinja »

Nice, although I don't think you used eneugh Tufftoe! :p
Let your opponent graze your skin and you smash into his flesh;
Let him smash into your flesh and you fracture his bones;
Let him fracture your bones and you take his life!
-Bruce Lee-
----------------------------------------------------------------

-Joe
chinook

Post by chinook »

Is that like candyapple? or maybe Hershey Cracklecoat?
.><CHINOOK*>
spyderknut

Post by spyderknut »

Yum, chocolate dipped boots. My fave. :D
"There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing." -- my grandfather
Collector #041
EricJohn

Post by EricJohn »

Jeff,

What you need now is a Filson Tincloth Packer Coat, or a Tincloth Outfitter coat. If you haven't ever checked this stuff out, go to website and read the testimonials! You wanna talk tough-bet-your-life-on clothing?

http://www.filson.com/category/index.js ... _Cloth_txt

-John
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." - Dr. Johnson: Quoted by the Late Dr. Gonzo.
uhiforgot

Post by uhiforgot »

EricJohn wrote:Jeff,

What you need now is a Filson Tincloth Packer Coat, or a Tincloth Outfitter coat. If you haven't ever checked this stuff out, go to website and read the testimonials! You wanna talk tough-bet-your-life-on clothing?

http://www.filson.com/category/index.js ... _Cloth_txt

-John
Whoa! I've only heard stories of this stuff before, but never remembered to look it up when I got home. Sounds like this stuff is as tough as it gets, but one thing concerns me: It's an oil cloth, and I don't know how breathability will be affected. Beathability is a BIG issue for me as I sweat a LOT even during the winter in California (we really only have 2 seasons per year: "Hot" and "More Hot" :p :rolleyes: ). Carhartts are hot enough, but I'll keep a close eye on these in case the "Hot" months ease up a bit.
chinook wrote:Is that like candyapple? or maybe Hershey Cracklecoat?
I haven't the foggiest idea. The package said "brown."

My geek Sensei just emailed and reminded me about the pair of 2238's I did with the same colored stuff for my dad for Father's Day... Wish I had taken pictures of those too :(

-Jeff

A very wise man once told me "Eat to live; don't live to eat." ...To my knowledge that's the only stupid thing he's ever said.
skcusloa

Post by skcusloa »

I wanna see pics after a month of work.
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

whats the coating on the front for.
uhiforgot

Post by uhiforgot »

skcusloa wrote:I wanna see pics after a month of work.
Absolutely will do!
Vincent wrote:whats the coating on the front for.
To keep me from wearing a hole in the toe of the boot. Usually this is used on steeltoe boots to keep from exposing the steel, but carpenters (mostly finishers) and some electricians are especially rough on the toe region of the boot even without a steel toe. Probably more armor than I will need on a daily basis, but it will help to distribute the weight of something heavy falling on my foot (opted against steel toes) and allow me to keep working in environments that are unusually hostile to the boots (i.e. kicking away a stack of re-bar that some dumbs**t decided to stack on top of my pliers :mad: :rolleyes: ). These boots certainly would have been handy then...

-Jeff

psimonl

Post by psimonl »

spyderknut wrote:Yum, chocolate dipped boots. My fave. :D
Hahahahah Rotfl!!! :D

Simon
"Everyday above the ground and vertical is a good day".
-Sir A. Hopkins in "The world's Fastest Indian"

"If it hurts, it means you're not dead..."
-Kayakist Marie-Pier Cote

The Spyderco Cookbook

Post by 224477 »

WoW :eek:

Looks like someone packed chocolate in side your package, looks like it melted.. :p

Is that better as steeltoes?
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
rcbalt2

Post by rcbalt2 »

Wow those boots look tough
There ain't no rules around here. We're trying to accomplish something.
- Thomas Edison
uhiforgot

Post by uhiforgot »

224477 wrote:WoW :eek:

Looks like someone packed chocolate in side your package, looks like it melted.. :p

Is that better as steeltoes?
Better than steeltoes is relative to the job being done. I've talked to people whose steeltoe boots (and thus, toes) survived being run over by a forklift :eek: Tufftoe is not anywhere near as strong as steeltoes, but it's a better fit for what I'll be doing.

-Jeff

skcusloa

Post by skcusloa »

I always imagined steel toed boots creating a clamp on your toes if something fell on them, then the boot would have to be cut off.

Fork lifts are freaking heavy. I'd hate to see what one would do to a foot.

I've never had to where boots at work. Every boot I've ever had was extremely uncomfortable and never fit well. Even the bates combat and jungle boots I recieved in boot camp. They were measured and fitted to my foot too. Don't tell me I have to wear them in, because I know I wore the bates in.

I bought a 20 dollar pair of socks in boot camp too, worth every penny. They were thorlo socks.
uhiforgot

Post by uhiforgot »

skcusloa wrote:I always imagined steel toed boots creating a clamp on your toes if something fell on them, then the boot would have to be cut off.

Fork lifts are freaking heavy. I'd hate to see what one would do to a foot.

I've never had to where boots at work. Every boot I've ever had was extremely uncomfortable and never fit well. Even the bates combat and jungle boots I recieved in boot camp. They were measured and fitted to my foot too. Don't tell me I have to wear them in, because I know I wore the bates in.

I bought a 20 dollar pair of socks in boot camp too, worth every penny. They were thorlo socks.
If something fell on your boot that was heavy enough to bend a steel toe like that, then you were bound to lose your toes anyway, and the steeltoe is actually helping out by clamping off the bleeding unti help can arrive :eek:

So far as boots being uncomfortable, that's why I never buy boots online and I always spend a few hours trying stuff on to make absolutely sure it fits right no matter how crazy it makes the salesperson. I'm not familiar with Bates, but I know that the whole "you have to wear them in" story is bulls**t. Boots should fit and be comfortable right out of the box no matter what anyone tells you. There's a whole fitting process, but I'll fill it in later. It sounds more like the Bates you got at boot camp was something they ran out of in your size and made up a line of bull to get you out of their hair.

-Jeff