Matriarch and Cold Steel Triple Action

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Raus06

Matriarch and Cold Steel Triple Action

Post by Raus06 »

Hi all. My first question: Do you guys know whether or not there were ever any G10 Matriarchs made? I know that its discontinued, but I'd like to own one.. Problem is I hate FRN handles. What do you think of the Matriarch, does it feel any less fragile than the Civilian does seeing as how the tip isn't ground as thin. Secondly, I am going to buy a Cold Steel triple action within the next few days, I have found a good deal.. I would like your thoughts on this knife as well if you've ever owned/handled one. Your impressions if any will be the determinant factor as to whether I buy it.. Keep in mind, I mainly just want to play with it.
Thanks in advance.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

The Matriarch was only made in FRN. Not sure where you got your information, but from all I have read, it has a tip very similar to that of the Civilian. I do not however own one, so I cannot confirm that. I do know that both knives were designed as last-ditch self defense tools and not as general purpose knives. Neither one was listed in the older consumer catalogs.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JD Spydo

Spyder vs CS

Post by JD Spydo »

Go ahead and get the Matriarch and skip the TRiple Action. You will find Spyderco's stuff much higher quality.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
argyll

Triple Action

Post by argyll »

I wanted to buy a CS Triple Action once, but was persuaded not to by a number of online reviews that complained that the handles were not well constructed and that they either did not open smoothly or that they eventually fell apart :eek:

Can't say whether it was true or not, but given the price, and lack of practicality I decided to move on. Its a fun concept, though, I eventually bought a much smaller version that's associated with Fred Perrin that resides in my sock drawer (resting place of unused knives).

Best regards,

Argyll
Qui non est hodie cras minus aptus erit -- Ovid (He who is not prepared today will be less so tomorrow)
Raus06

Post by Raus06 »

Looks as though I have no choice but to move on.. The paychecque was far less than expected. If I were rich, I would spend my money exclusively on knives. I'm not especially enamored with the Triple Action anyways.. Better off saving for a Military.
Tonight, I let my girlfriend play with my Police.. The end result was noticeable play. She made the mistake of dropping my most treasured :spyder: onto a cement stairwell.. I hate living in Canada.. Better off buying a new Police than sending it to Golden for a tune up.. Thanks for the input guys.
P.S.: One truly does need financial stability to properly obsess over Spyderco's.. A sobering reality.
Cameron23

Post by Cameron23 »

The tip was thin on the Matriarch I had, but it's not supposed to be used as a "Utility" knife (same as the Civilian). But, then again, I've broken the tip off of 2 Merlins. :D
C :spyder:
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power."
-Abraham Lincoln,