A little more "guntalk"!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Simon G

A little more "guntalk"!

Post by Simon G »

Some time ago, we had a few threads for those of us where our guns and shooting rank with our Spydies! :cool:

So, I just thought I would share a not very good pic of my latest "bang-stick" :D

A Marlin 1894P in .44 magnum. A 16" ported barrel with an eight shot tube mag. I've added a set of XS ghost ring sight and ramp, an XS Lever Scout Rail and a Leupold Scout Scope. Wolf main spring and lever spring and a SS mag follower. Thinking about putting a Happy Trail trigger on it also.

Loaded with some 200gn FMJFP behind H110, it's chronying at just under 2000fps! And with H110 and some 240gn bullets, just over 1700fps! More fun than a bag of fun things!! :D But, I've settled on a load in the .44 special bracket, using a 240gn lead bullet and Unique for 850fps, but one hole groups, rested at 25yds.

What do you think?! ;)

Sorry about the pic! :rolleyes:
"From this day to the ending of the world, we in it shall be remembered; we happy few; we band of brothers...for he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." -Henry V

"......and he that has no sword, let him sell his cloak and buy one." - Luke 22:36
Civilian

Post by Civilian »

I only own a Glock 21C at this point, but have put in a stronger spring to shoot some 45 Super through it! I also have 3 15 round mags for it, 2 loaded at all times with Black Talon.

How do you like the Marlin? I'd love to get the 1895 cowboy in 45-70.
Attachments
photo_1895_Cow.jpg
photo_1895_Cow.jpg (10.77 KiB) Viewed 2538 times
MAT :spyder: TER
Just-American
WTC#1511
"Hunt You Down All Nightmare Long!"
"Civilian Lovers appreciate nice curves" insp. by Dr. Snubnose
Simon G

Post by Simon G »

I really like the Marlin and I've had a couple of other lever guns in the past. In fact, I sold another Marlin to get this one, actually, a Marlin Cowboy! But mine was in .38-55. What I didn't like on the "Cowboy" models was the impressed checkering, but I believe on the new rifle calibre cowboy's the checkering has been dropped in favour of plain furniture.

.45 Super, that looks to bit a bit of a handfull! :cool:
"From this day to the ending of the world, we in it shall be remembered; we happy few; we band of brothers...for he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." -Henry V

"......and he that has no sword, let him sell his cloak and buy one." - Luke 22:36
NoBite

Post by NoBite »

I've got the Marlin in .357 and find it a handy, fun rifle to shoot. I don't reload, but really enjoy sending lead downrange with this rifle.

Rifles are sure interesting. I love to watch old westerns. Having the Marlin nearby just feels right.

Of course, when a WWII movie comes on, having the M1 in my lap feels mighty good, too! :D
Civilian

Post by Civilian »

Simon G wrote: .45 Super, that looks to bit a bit of a handfull! :cool:
Not at all, with the glock being compensated from the factory I can get 15 rounds on a man sized target at 15 -20 yards no problem. I am no marksman but I do excell at "combat" shooting. I think I shoot clays better than targets as well.
I love nothing better than emptying all 15 rounds in a couple of seconds, except maybee that glock 18 in burst fire.
MAT :spyder: TER
Just-American
WTC#1511
"Hunt You Down All Nightmare Long!"
"Civilian Lovers appreciate nice curves" insp. by Dr. Snubnose
ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

Congrats on the rifle Simon. Your talking way over my head with all the special things you had done, but I do know that Marlin makes a mighty fine saddle gun. Some day I'll be inheriting one in .375.
First they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not stand up, because I was not a Trade Unionist.
[INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]Attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller [/INDENT] [/INDENT][/INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18317

Hawkbills- Sink in the tip, and let it rip!!! :D - Axlis
Tank

Post by Tank »

Nice Gun there Simon,, im with Ghostrider on the technical stuff you were saying.... but It all sounds good.

This is my one and only "Bang-Stick". Bereta O/U Ultralight 12GA I've had it almost a year and I love it a whole lot. Only shoot Skeet, Trap and some sporting clay courses but Its lots of fun.
Attachments
Ultralight_S_maxi.jpg
Ultralight_S_maxi.jpg (10.13 KiB) Viewed 2525 times
-John
philuk44

Post by philuk44 »

Simon - you old show off! :p

240 grainers at 1700 fps from a ported short barrel? Bet you're popular on the range.............. :eek:

Looking forward to seeing you in action with it at Bisley and the beer's on me (well, the first one anyway :D )

Phil
Simon G

Post by Simon G »

Phil,

I laughed so much I thought I would do myself an injury! The barrack range we were on had walls on three sides that amplified it even more! :D :cool:

The old boys in the club branded me a "hooligan"!! :p

I'll be in touch real soon.

Gan canny,

Simon.

Jimd

Post by Jimd »

Simon, that's a mighty fine-lookin' fire-pole ya got there, pard'ner!

I've always liked lever-actions in large calibers. They're just.....neat!
I have a Marlin in .30-30 that I picked up from my nephew for almost nothing this past hunting season. Those ghost-ring sights you added are an excellent choice!

I hate the "regular" hunting sights that are on most hunting rifles these days; if they're not "ghost ring" (ie., military peep sights), if have no use for them. The peep, for me, is the next most accurate sight from a scope.

Simon, you're little carbine will handle a wide variety of four-legged game, and any two-legged game that threatens your life. As a plus, you're obviously enjoying the carbine immensely!
Referee in the Bowels of ****
Email: ST8PEN01@aol.com
Artwork For Sale

"...We few, we happy few...we band of brothers...For whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare

If you are not willing to stand behind our troops, by all means, please stand in front of them!
EarthDog

Post by EarthDog »

That sounds like a fun gun, Simon. Lots of enhancements.

I have a Winchester 94 in .357, also fun to shoot. No enhancements at this time, but you've got me thinking about adding a ghost ring.
EarthDog
EarthDog

Post by EarthDog »

After the events of this week, I'm thinking of getting a 28 ga. You can blast a lawyer at 30 yards, and he will apologize for the embarassment he's caused you and your family. :p
EarthDog
Outlaw

Savage Model 111

Post by Outlaw »

I have a Savage Model 111. It's a 7mm Rem. Mag.
It was originally a package deal from Savage,(pictured) but I replaced the scope with a Weaver 3X9 mounted with Talley One-Piece scope mounts. :cool: http://www.talleyrings.com/al.htm

2nd pic is sighting in for the first time after barrel break-in / getting rds. on paper. I started for groups & location trying for 3in. high @ 100 yards, which would put my rds. into the "proper location" anywhere from 100-300 yards.

The lower group was fired first. Raised a few clicks & produced the 2nd. group.
Then I noticed they were almost identical :eek: & decided to save the target. :)
BTW I was using Remington 140gr. PTD boat tails. I believe that Rem. has since disco'd them. :(
Attachments
two 3 shot groups sighting in @100 yards.jpg
two 3 shot groups sighting in @100 yards.jpg (38.77 KiB) Viewed 2512 times
111fcxp3.jpg
111fcxp3.jpg (8.04 KiB) Viewed 2492 times
Simon G

Post by Simon G »

Savage are just starting to make in-roads in the UK. I've never shot one myself, but the gun press on this side of the pond seem to have taken a real liking to them.

Outlaw, what was the original scope fitted in the package?

Simon G

Post by Simon G »

Jimd wrote: As a plus, you're obviously enjoying the carbine immensely!
Like you wouldn't believe Jim!! :D I have been blessed that my gun cabinets have had all sorts of guns through them and I'm fortunate to have owned a fair few! But not since the pistol ban, except black powder, in the UK, have I had as much fun with a shoulder arm!

It's strange as I've had several lever guns through my hands, but this one just seems to have something! :cool:

360IJN, my friend!

Simon.

Outlaw

Post by Outlaw »

Simon G wrote:Savage are just starting to make in-roads in the UK. I've never shot one myself, but the gun press on this side of the pond seem to have taken a real liking to them.

Outlaw, what was the original scope fitted in the package?

Simon,
The original scope was a 3X9 Simmons

For many years Savage was a "low end" rifle with a lousy trigger. :(
In the past few years they have become some of the most accurate "out-of-the-box" rifles you can buy. :cool: They even have a very decent adjustable trigger to boot. Now they have AccuTrigger™ (which mine does not have) & their prices are still low! :eek: :cool:
pmel018

Post by pmel018 »

Hi Guys
just picked up a Savage made Lee Enfield, marked "U.S PROPERTY". Mark 4 #1*. Fitted with a Parker -Hale range sight. Has 80% barrel and all matching numbers, all i need now is the correct spike bayonet and a sling.
Phil
Outlaw

Post by Outlaw »

pmel018 wrote:Hi Guys
just picked up a Savage made Lee Enfield, marked "U.S PROPERTY". Mark 4 #1*. Fitted with a Parker -Hale range sight. Has 80% barrel and all matching numbers, all i need now is the correct spike bayonet and a sling.
Phil
Very Cool!
The very first military rifle I ever bought was a Lee Enfield, made by the Long Branch Arsenal in Canada. I still have it right here. It's marked:

No 4 Mk1*
LONG BRANCH

This was back in 1986 or so. Unbelievably accurate rifle!
A spike bayonet and a sling should be easy to find. Don't forget to get a frog for the bayonet. Most are sold with one, just be sure you get one. ;) They also issued a canvas "dust cover" that was tied around the action. Those are a little harder to find.

Have fun & enjoy your .303! :)
pmel018

Post by pmel018 »

Hi there
just dropped in to correct my post, the rifle is, of course a No4 Mk1* Made by Savage and dated 1943. :D There are many Lee Enfields in NZ it was our service rifle until the adoption of the FN FAL known here as the SLR(Self Loading Rifle). Always wanted one in good condition, there are some post WW2 No4 Mk2s around still in original packing but they are pricey :eek: . The Aussies have NEW No 10 rifles, :eek: designed for 308(7.62 NATO)but I have never seen one here, they have a very ugly magazine that ruins the whole line of the weapon. :(
Phil
Simon G

Post by Simon G »

Everyone's armoury should contain at least one Lee-Enfield! :D The .308 Aussie version looks really nice, but as you said Phil, they are pricey! But saying that, good SMLE's and No4's are commanding good prices compared to what they did not so long ago.