Daywalker/Boker Sub Com

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Stuart Ackerman

Daywalker/Boker Sub Com Review

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Chad Los Banos is a Correctional Officer in Hawaii, and a man I am proud to call a friend...He posts here in BB as "Daywalker"
You all know him, who am I kiddding?
He is up and coming in the world of knife design, and Boker first, and later on, Spyderco, have recognised his imagination and abilities.
The Boker Magnum Sub Com F has a blade steel of 420, and whilst some might feel that is is an "inferior" steel, I am impressed with the HT. This is no S30V, but I carved up a chicken (cooked!), and sliced away at cardboard boxes for about 15 minutes, whilst listening to the Stokowski version of Tchaikovski's "Marche Slave"...It did not shave afterwards, but it still cut more cardboard...
If this blade was made of S30V, the cost would rise, and the advantages of owning more than one, would not occur.
The sharpness out of the box ( signed!), was excellent, and I shaved the hair off part of my legs, as my arms were bare...

The low cost of this beauty, means that you can own a few, and leave one in your mini survival kits.
Whilst this knife is small, it's performance is as big as it's name, and the lock up is excellent. Tapping the back of the blade on my workbench, did not unlock the liner at all.
It's small size means that it will be carried, when others are regarded as too big.

Something strange happened whilst I have been showing this knife off... :)

My wife, and others Sheeple who call knives "Evil", took one look, and said," How cute!"
It's appearance makes it look less harmful than most others I own.
Our very PC neighbours, wanted one each, as it looked very useful, and small enough not to scare the kiddie winkles.

Perhaps a knife like this will not look so bad, when you pull out it in company, and cut that rope or box..
Cute?
If you say so, Officer...

On top of a Ritter Mini Kit, it's pocket buddy...
Closed...
Open...
View through the back spine
The liner lock, and the position it locks at
The back, showing the integral liner lock. The clip can be placed tip up, or tip down.
I do know that this clip is incredibly strong...
The Chad Los Banos ( Daywalker ) Logo, which we will see more of, when Spyderco release his design knife
When releasing the lock, your thumb would be in this position, so closing the blade on your digits is just about impossible...
Comparison pic with my alternate pocket EDC, the UKPK...

Is this the perfect EDC?
Depends on your location, your intent, and your required task solutions...
I do know that I need to get another UKPK for myself, as my children are claiming the first two I received. I will be getting them a SubCom, as well, and then they will have a lifetime of use ahead of them...

Chad, Well Done, buddy!!!
Outlaw

Post by Outlaw »

Excellent review!
BTW... I could not agree more with your findings!
raven

Post by raven »

Hey Zackerty, "AWSOME REVIEW BRO". VERY WELL DONE. Thank You for Sharing, and Great Pix. Take Care.

God Bless :)

-raven-
ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.
stonyman

Post by stonyman »

Good review Zackerty. You have just added even more fuel to my fire for the Subcom, awesome design. It makes a great travel knife for tough knife restriction areas.
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

I think Chad's SF should be mandatory EDC for every member of the forum :p

Actually, I think a big chunk of us already have them ;)

Great review bro, and awesome pictures too :cool:

For those who don't have one yet, definitely pick one up, you'll be surprised at how well the little blade performs.
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-

Post by 224477 »

Cool review Zack, SCF is my EDC together with spydercos. Enjoy it! Truly great knife!
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
Axlis

Post by Axlis »

Great review Zack, thanks for sharing the pics with us too :)
Chucula

Post by Chucula »

ah mine still has not arrived from ebay. 2 weeks ago i bought one subcom from an ebayer named krenovsky--has anyone else bought from him and received theirs?
Gibsoniam

Post by Gibsoniam »

Great review! Thanks. Chad's "biscuit" has been getting rave reviews around here. When I have a steady income again, I'll have to pick one up to satiate my impatience for his Spydie. :) Chad keeps telling us to just wait for his Spydie... I wonder how similar the two are (as far as size, obviously they're not identical).

Also love the UKPK! My favorite EDC Spyderco so far (well, sometimes my battle-hardened cricket beats it out, but not often). :) I just finally broke down and ordered a new one to replace my lost one (no more splurging for me for awhile!)
Mike :cool:

<><
1 Peter 3:15

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity;
an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
Winston Churchill

EDC
Spyderco Meerkat Sprint
HDS Systems EDC Executive 140W
Fisher Space Pen
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Mahalo zackerty!

Thanks for a great review and great pics! More over at BB... :o

Mahalo for reading everyone and God bless! :)
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)